Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 _Underscore_

Starting: 79.8 kg
    Week 1: 77.9 kg
    Week 2: 77 kg
    Week 3: 75.6 kg
    Week 4: 74.3 kg
    Week 5: 73.5 kg
    Week 6: 73.3 kg
    Week 7: 72.7 kg
    Week 8: 72.2 kg
    Week 9: 71.7 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A few unexpected events led to a 2lb gain this week. Not overly concerned. Some of it was outside my control, some of it wasn't. But nothing like a slap in the face to wake you up (which is partially why I got fired from that sleep study).

Time to get back on the saddle (exercise bike, not horse) and power on!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aug16

Penn life throws unexpected events at us all the time and even ones that are planned involving food! I was out sat night for a meal and drinks and really did the dog on it!! The important thing is we get straight back to it.
    My 1st weigh in in ww tomorrow and not looking forward to it but going to stick at it. Was a bit annoyed with myself but I know it's a long road so will keep going. Best of luck this week

Underscore you are doing great!

Well I weighed in at ww today. Week 1 and down 1.5 lbs. Was happy with that considering my blow out sat night. Now to keep going.... how's everyone else getting on?

• Advertisement

aug16 wrote: »
    Well I weighed in at ww today. Week 1 and down 1.5 lbs. Was happy with that considering my blow out sat night. Now to keep going.... how's everyone else getting on?

Great start, aug16! How are you finding the changes you've made so far?

Could be another dicey week for me this week. Have been helping a friend through some personal stuff the last two weeks or so (which has involved a fair bit of takeaways and beers), another friend took me out for a big meal for some help I've been giving him and the wife with something, and my mother broke her wrist so I was up and down to hospital and other family members houses, grabbing stuff on the go or lashings of tea and biscuits.

Should be almost all sorted now. Whatever comes of my weigh-in Sunday, it is what it is. Just gotta make the number go downwards from there.

Also got myself a body-fat measuring calipers to help keep me focused. Have given myself a weight-loss target, but it's hard to know if that'll get me to where I need to be. Measuring body-fat alongside it should give me a better indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Is it a realistic goal to set to lose 7kg in 5weeks? I feel it is, however I know I'm going to struggle purely because I've been off track of months now and my body is just used to the endless sugar and carbs I've been feeding it, has anyone any advice for the first week?, I've set a goal of 2kg.

Is it a realistic goal to set to lose 7kg in 5weeks? I feel it is, however I know I'm going to struggle purely because I've been off track of months now and my body is just used to the endless sugar and carbs I've been feeding it, has anyone any advice for the first week?, I've set a goal of 2kg.

It's possible, especially depending on if you lose a lot of water weight in the early weeks. That said, it's definitely on the high side. They say you shouldn't try to lose more than 2lb/1kg in a week, and that's tough going as it is.

I'd say aim for 5kg in 5 weeks, and hope one or two good weeks bump you up a bit higher. Aim to eat 1,000 calories fewer per day than you need, and use the likes of MyFitnessPal to log everything you eat and drink (it'll also calculate roughly how many calories you need to eat to lose 2lb/1kg per week).

Drink plenty of water and less-processed foods (to reduce salt intake) and you might drop water weight fairly quickly. Try maintain a decent enough balance between carbs and protein too.

It's possible, but like I said, 7kg in 5 weeks would be very tough going. Is it because of a holiday or wedding? Aim for 5kg and you might still hit 6-7kg anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Also it depends on how overweight you are to begin with.

If you've 7kg to go to your goal, then its very unlikely.

If you're say 30kg over, then maybe you could have a good go at it.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Also it depends on how overweight you are to begin with.

If you've 7kg to go to your goal, then its very unlikely.

If you're say 30kg over, then maybe you could have a good go at it.

I’m currently 3kg overweight according to my “BMI”

7kg in 5 weeks would be asking a lot in that case. Even 5kg could be tough. Like I said, a decent start to shock the body and losing water weight could give you a boost at the start, but to lose 1kg a week you'd be looking at less than 1400 calories a day most likely (depending on height, age, activity etc). I lost 50kg in a year and by the end I was eating around 1300 calories a day, but I had the benefit of being able to get used to that and going from 1900 to 1300 calories a day slowly. Jumping right in at 1300-1400 calories a day to lose 5kg in 5 weeks would be very tough.

Again, not saying it's not possible, but it'd be tough.

Thanks Penn, finding it ok as this time I'm not striving for perfection or aiming to lose 3 lbs a week. This time half lb to one lb and I'll be happy so still living a normal happy life, just more consious of what I'm eating. Also if I do have a take away etc I'm not losing faith etc and realise this is ok as long as it's not too often. I seem to be a lot more easy going about it this week. Hopefully it won't backfire lol...

Penn you have so much going on.... just try and have healthier alternatives and then maybe splash out I.e. take away , treats once a week. My mum in hosp the last 12 weeks so going over and back is stressful. I try to prepare now. I try not to go over hungry as if I do I am v tempted to stop at take away on way home. Saying that I allow myself take away once a week and look forward to that.

Ps whats a fat measuring caliper? Sounds like good motivation

Prominent dawg Penn has given great advice. The less you have to lose the harder it is. Best of luck x

aug16 wrote: »
    Ps whats a fat measuring caliper? Sounds like good motivation

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Body-Fat-Calipers

It's basically a tool which helps figure out how much fat you're carrying, as a percentage of your bodyweight. It's not entirely accurate (especially when self-measuring) and I'm not going to put too much emphasis on the number, but given how much weight I already lost, it's hard to fully know how much weight I should still lose. Especially when trying to determine what's fat and what's just loose skin. Either way, it's just another check I can undertake (alongside weighing myself and measurement around the waist) to make sure I'm still going in the right direction.

This week was a maintain in terms of weight, which I'm happy enough with. Definitely thought I'd have put on a pound or two but the end of the week negated the first half. Gotta get a good loss this week though to get me back in the right frame of mind to continue on.

Good luck to everyone for this week! Crush it!

Week 10: 71.4 kg

Feels mental that I've been doing this for so long. Hopefully I'll make it below 70 kg by the end of the month.

1.5lb this week. Happy with that. Not going as low with the calories as I had been before so anything more than 1lb is okay with me.

Planning on properly getting into an exercise routine though. Almost have my home gym set up, just need to start figuring out what to do on what days. Also need to will myself out of bed that early in the morning to do it too but I think once I get started with that it'll be easy to keep it going.

Week 11: 71 kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Somehow gradually gone from 85kg (in 2015) to the triple digits of 100kg (28 m/ 6ft) for the first time this year...definitely a bit of a wake up call.

Going from a nice outdoor labouring job in Canada to a desk job in Ireland really does a number on the whole activity levels!

However, taking it a bit more seriously not and determined to get my **** together!

Getting to the gym 2/3 times a week for past month or so (and hoping to keep it up) and decided to be a bit notionsy and order those subscription meal prep'd meals (pay x amount and get 10-15 meals delivered a week bla bla) - essentially microwave dinners but properly measured.

Laziness, convenience and lack of time being the main reasons

Figured it's worth the investment for a while ..then can switch to meal prepping myself and saving money. Had been blowing the bank on takeaways most evenings after work so may as well spend the money on healthy portioned food instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Okay. Posting here for a bit of accountability. Was 16st 9lbs a few years ago, lowest weight was 11st 9lbs, have maintained at 13st 8 for the last 3 years which I’m delighted about BUT, I’m ready for the rest. Goal weight is 10st. Going to try my usual pace of 0.5stone per month if possible. I’d be happy with 12 stone by Xmas!

Week 11: 71 kg
    Week 12: 71.3kg

Feels bad man. I am *hoping* this is just water weight because I had a Chinese last night but I am absolutely so annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Down 9.5kg since November 1st last year. Started at 97kg with 1st target of getting under 88kg which finally managed this week after 2 weeks of a plateau. 2.5 inches off the waist and can finally get back into suits I havent been able to wear for the last few years. Things were going good up until June when just fell off the weight loss wagon and was eating crap and boozing and putting a bit back on which was very noticeable on holidays in August so nailed that on the head and got back on track. Next target 85kg.

Well done Neris, wish I was in your boat, weighed myself this morning and I'm up 4.5kg on this time last year!

Hi everyone I’ve lost about 5 stone over 2/3 years and I keep it off with exercise I love exercising now. But I have some nelly fat in the front of the me that annoys me when I wear nice clothes what can I do about it is there any way to get rid of it.

I’m 11 stone now and as I said I’m stuck with belly fat hanging down in the front I want gone :(

I walk 10 miles a day to keep my weight down so what can I do to get rid can anyone help what about sit ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Hi everyone I’ve lost about 5 stone over 2/3 years and I keep it off with exercise I love exercising now. But I have some nelly fat in the front of the me that annoys me when I wear nice clothes what can I do about it is there any way to get rid of it.

I’m 11 stone now and as I said I’m stuck with belly fat hanging down in the front I want gone :(

I walk 10 miles a day to keep my weight down so what can I do to get rid can anyone help what about sit ups?

That is only going to go away with a calorie deficit and time.

No amount of situps will help unfortunately.

colm_c wrote: »
    That is only going to go away with a calorie deficit and time.

No amount of situps will help unfortunately.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can only talk about my own experience, and having lost a bit more than you and being worried about loose skin/ belly fat, it went when I dropped a bit more weight (and comes back with an extra few kg's). Admittedly (and I know it's wrong not to do any) with no strength training, I'm purely focussed on cardio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Just started a new diet as I put on a bit of weight during quarantine from eating take away too much (4-5 times a week!) and have also started experiencing digestive issues. I went to the doctor's office not long ago and got weighed and am still in the good range for my height, just towards the end of it. And the gastroentrologist suggested cutting out carbonated drinks and dairy. I tried a half-baked version of that, but I'm apparently someone who needs hard boundaries, so this is me implementing that.

So for the next four weeks (as of last Thursday), I can only drink water (I've never done this before - sugary, carbonated drinks are a vice of mine) and eat fresh, clean foods (no processed crap) and I can't go out to eat. This is Day 5 and I've stuck with it so far. I drink two large bottles of water a day and follow the following diet:

Breakfast - two medium boiled eggs, each on a slice of whole wheat toast, no butter
    Lunch - a vegan flatbread or smoothie from Daily Harvest - the flatbreads run about 350 calories and the smoothies run about 300 after adding some type of milk - I use oat milk or almond)
    Snack - Cherry tomatoes, if I need something - I don't find that I do usually. Just drinking more water is usually enough.
    Dinner - a lean meat (chicken, pork or fish) grilled and grilled veggies (asparagus, broccoli or courgette), usually grilled with a half tablespoon of olive oil

This usually brings me to around 1200 calories and each meal is just enough to tide me over to the next. I don't have a scale, so can't say how much weight, if any, I've lost so far, but I look much less bloated and my digestion has cleared up since starting. There have been some temptations, but knowing what I'm going to eat on any given day, and having those things be relatively simple to prepare has made it much easier for me to shut those down.

In the evenings I try to do an hour of workout. The first half hour is dedicated to what I call high octane dance, where I go hard and sweat. The second half hour is some pilates core training, some weight training and a stretch/cool down dance.

Once the four weeks is up, I'll look to keep going, but fold in two days a month where I can eat out.

Advertisement