Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bikes - expansion stalled?

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sorry to bump, but what is the planned expansion (does anyone have a future map of stations) and why is it delayed?

This should be the expansion here:

img_5195.png

Pretty sure that any further delay beyond that expansion is down to the lack of advertising sites being offered in exchange

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I believe the delay is more due to some private companies wanting to introduce their own bike rental scheme, which don't use stations and thus should be much cheaper to run and rollout widely.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/new-bike-rental-scheme-proceeds-in-dublin-despite-council-warning-1.3125744

DCC and this company are currently arguing over the licensing of this and other similar services. I suspect once it goes ahead it will kill Dublin Bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

bk wrote: »
    I suspect once it goes ahead it will kill Dublin Bikes.

DCC have a 15 year contract with J.C. Decaux to operate the scheme in it's current form, it's highly unlikely that they'll abandon it mid-contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

ED E wrote: »
    So, part of the DB system and others stationed models like it is the need for load balancing of stations with a van. Morning Out->In demand, Evening In->Out demand. In the middle staff drive around and shift them. Great.

Thus its not a big surprise that you need van space in the vicinity of each station. So why the hell have we got this bullsh1t going on? (Photo Credit to CycleDub).

Could we not have planned for this?

In fairness to DBs, The road layout at many of these stops were nothing like what they are now compared to when DB's launched.

Ultimately, the changes are beyond their control. Places like charlemont, It is necessary to mount the kerb somewhat because of the size of the road, busy hotel taking up street parking and the with of the actual road.

I'm sure the drivers take car to mount it while cyclists are not on that stretch. It's a fairly obvious obstacle for cyclists once parked. There is some onus on them to round it safely with respect to on coming cyclists.

I am a DB user for what its worth

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

markpb wrote: »
    DCC have a 15 year contract with J.C. Decaux to operate the scheme in it's current form, it's highly unlikely that they'll abandon it mid-contract.

I mean from the perspective of people actually using it.

If these larger more flexible schemes launch, I can see many people dropping their DB subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I mean from the perspective of people actually using it.

If these larger more flexible schemes launch, I can see many people dropping their DB subs.

Try Bleeperbike then come back to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd be curious how Bleeperbike works in practise. Is it successful anywhere else?

ED E wrote: »
    Try Bleeperbike then come back to us.

I will, I just installed the app and it looks like their a bunch of their bikes just down the road from me!

This is way outside of the DB areas, so great :)

The one downside I can see is their drop off stations in the city center is VERY poor. Just one station down by the Gaiety, nothing North of the river! Otherwise I'd use it for my planned trip this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I thought you could drop Bleeperbikes anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thargor wrote: »
    I thought you could drop Bleeperbikes anywhere?

that was the problem that DCC had with the service, they didn't want them using the public footpaths etc without agreement so started removing the bikes. In the interim I think Bleeper have reached agreement with various private landowners (DCU etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah right, I assumed they were back in action because I see them locked all over the place these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I see Galway has a similar scheme. Does it integrate with Leap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Any timelines on the phases?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

DCC and this company are currently arguing over the licensing of this and other similar services. I suspect once it goes ahead it will kill Dublin Bikes.

Haha, none of them is anywhere near as good as DB. You should not have to use your phone to find a bike.
    Fixed drop off/pick up locations are the way to go. Easier to find and remember.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Haha, none of them is anywhere near as good as DB. You should not have to use your phone to find a bike.
    Fixed drop off/pick up locations are the way to go. Easier to find and remember.

Well DB isn't much good to you when their isn't a station anywhere near your home and you have to walk 3km to get to the nearest one!

BTW there is no guarantee with DB that when you arrive at a station, that there will be any bikes left (or spaces if you return your bike). You have to use the DB app to check if their are bikes/spaces there.

BBTW Bleeperbikes doest in fact use fixed locations, to both pick up and drop off bikes. They just don't have big expensive docks like DB, but that is actually an advantage to their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I don't think anything would kill Dublin Bikes, but a bit of competition might be nice, and make the DB service actually usable at busy times. For my own commuting at my usual time, I can generally only use DB 50% of the time, due to no bikes at the 2 stations near me, and/or no slots in the 2 stations near my destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭cgcsb

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/15-new-dublin-bike-stations-12917961

Any sign of the 15 new stations that were to be completed this summer? It now being November and all.

Advertisement