Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback for Cooking Club 2013

Options
  • 03-12-2012 12:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Before we run the sign-ups for next year's Cooking Club, I thought I'd ask for some feedback. I've noticed that the volume of replies to most recipes has dropped pretty substantially, which can be disheartening for the poster. Is this because interest is dropping in the cooking club, or are folk just not posting after they're tried a recipe?

Is there something that puts you off trying a recipe?

Is there something you'd like to see more or less of?

Most importantly, should we both running it in 2013? (Poll added for this question. The poll will close on the 21st of December because there's no point in running it indefinitely.)

If you have any feedback at all, good or bad, we'd love to hear it :).

/edit: If you vote NO in the poll, I'd really appreciate it if you'd post and explain your reasons :).

Should we run the Cooking Club in 2013? 77 votes

Yes, I still enjoy it.
    0% 0 votes
    No, I think it's run its course now.
    100% 77 votes

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Late to the party, but I'm already starting to make some of the recipes from this year - my bad for not posting in the threads.

I'd love to see it continue into 2013, and I'd make a point of posting whenever I cooked something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I love the Cooking Club, it's one of my favourite parts of boards. I don't cook as many recipes as I'd like but I always read every recipe and keep a note of the ones I'm interested in. It's a great way to get an informal introduction to recipes you may otherwise never come across... plus it's often a good excuse to bake a cake :)

I'd be really keen for it to continue into next year and would be interesting in contributing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I never post here but I read the forum all the time. A lot of the recipes here sound great but as a student I just can't afford to try them. I'd hate to see the forum close though! I especially love the ones with pictures, it really helps figuring out what you're supposed to do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I'm also guilty of trying the recipes but never giving any on thread feedback.

Really hope it continues as over the weekend i finally perfected the recipe I was planning on sharing next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh Dear God yes you should keep this running in 2013. :D

I've made quite a few different things from this forum and you can add my name to the list of "Those that do not reply on thread".

I think some of the more recent recipes are a little bit more exotic, or worse still, vegetarian (*stares at Irishbird* :mad:) and perhaps not to everyone's liking.

I like the fact that there are more starters, deserts and other dishes rather than main courses. However, I find that I would not bother with anything other than main courses, perhaps this is the same for others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Oh by all means it should continue. It's been a great source of recipes for me the last few years!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I think some of the more recent recipes are a little bit more exotic, or worse still, vegetarian (*stares at Irishbird* :mad:) and perhaps not to everyone's liking.

Good point. I notice the main course recipes that get the most replies are usually simple dishes that you can pick up the ingredients for anyway, and don't take a lot of effort (BaZmO's carbonara recipe, for example). And my OH would not be impressed if I served a dinner without meat! :D
    I like the fact that there are more starters, deserts and other dishes rather than main courses. However, I find that I would not bother with anything other than main courses, perhaps this is the same for others?

That's interesting. Dessert and cake recipes get a lot of attention, but I always feel like folk would generally prefer savoury meals. I wonder is there a way to balance the two?

Faith wrote: »
    That's interesting. Dessert and cake recipes get a lot of attention, but I always feel like folk would generally prefer savoury meals. I wonder is there a way to balance the two?

It would involve more administration for yourself but when the time comes to sign up for next year would it make sense if everyone had to give a rough idea of what their planning on submitting.

Starting week one with a starter, followed by a main week two etc etc would ensure a good balance and variety over the course of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I love reading up the new recipes, it's very inspirational and interesting even if you don't end up making a dish. I wouldn't be a regular poster but I'm definitely a regular reader. I'd personally enjoy doing the simpler dishes but some of the complicated ones look fantastic.

I've got a sweet tooth and I've made a good few deserts from here; simple lemon drizzle cake, baileys and malteasers cheesecake, mars bar treats, baked nutella cheesecake, but I've made quiche, brownbread and paella recipes from here regularly too. There's a few main courses like the pulled pork, beef and mushroom pie, red wine stew in a loaf that I've got on my to do list.

It's probably a lot of work for the mods behind the scenes and for the recipe posters but it's definitely appreciated. Thanks to all for keeping it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Cooking Club is fantastic. Speaking for myself, due to work and other silly rl things I haven't been able to make a lot of the recipes this year, but I'd hate to see it go :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've added quite a few dishes from the cooking club to my kitchen repetoire - both savoury and sweet, and would really like it to keep going. I would actually like to put my name in the hat for 2013, if possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's one of my favourite sections on the site as well. I haven't had a lot of free time to try the recipes this year because I've been so busy. There are one or two that are a bit elaborate (these are not unwelcome, btw!) and I didn't really have the time to source the less commonly found ingredients. That said, I've a little more free time now and want to go back to some of the 2011 ones as well as this year's.

I'm not sure that the content of the recipes is an issue re the number of replies dropping off, so I don't know about alternating between types week on, week off, dessert vs savoury seems on unmanageable or not the way to go. Maybe the volume of recipes is an issue 40+ is pretty high, though weekly updates are exciting and there's a good community feel to the club.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Elbow wrote: »
    It would involve more administration for yourself but when the time comes to sign up for next year would it make sense if everyone had to give a rough idea of what their planning on submitting.

Starting week one with a starter, followed by a main week two etc etc would ensure a good balance and variety over the course of the year.

The trouble is that most people don't know a week before they post what recipe they'll use, never mind months before.

Great feedback so far, keep it coming :).

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

+1 to keeping the Cooking Club going. I've gotten some great recipes from here, the beef red wine & rosemary stew in particular is now a favourite in my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I only discovered the cooking club this year but I LOVE it, I look forward to Friday to see what recipe comes up and have discovered lots of tasty recipes I'd never have tried otherwise.

I don't really see what could be done about replies falling off, looking at the forum quickly there there are a lot that have less than 10 replies, but you can't really know how a recipe is going to go down before posting.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

It would be a shame to see it go - many of our staple dinners are from here. we dont cook every dish due to time and sometimes, they can be hard vegetarian'ise

as for the vegetarian comment, Mr. Dunne, you could throw some chicken or clonakilty black pudding on to the kebabs :p use a bit of imagination :cool:

irishbird wrote: »
    It would be a shame to see it go - many of our staple dinners are from here. we dont cook every dish due to time and sometimes, they can be hard vegetarian'ise

as for the vegetarian comment, Mr. Dunne, you could throw some chicken or clonakilty black pudding on to the kebabs :p use a bit of imagination :cool:

Actually, on the vegetarian thing, it's nice to see a bit of variety in the recipes, and I'd usually have meat in my dinner so the odd veggie idea doesn't go astray. I might not be mad about all vegetarian recipes but they can be food for thought (ahahaha....sorry). I think it's generally easier to add meat to a veggie recipe than make a meat-based dinner vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Add me to the 'cook, but don't usually post' bunch.

I look forward to Friday's and love the variety of recipes - and when I am trying something new, I always check here first to see if there's any similar recipe I can work off.

Personally, I would rarely be tempted by starters/deserts/cakes. Perhaps, because I would be more inclined to try out a recipe on an 'ordinary' night, rather than a special occasion....but that's just me, and I enjoy reading the recipes and seeing the end results, regardless.

I also like to see the unusual (personal, I know) recipes too - like Sharrow's 'sushi'. Will I ever try it? Perhaps not, but I'm way more likely to try now, since I've seen how undaunting it can be. Now, Sparks 'Pulled pork', that recipe I really am trying to build myself up to ;)

Really hope Cooking Club continues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I looks like there are quite a few posters in favour of it continuing. I don't want to step on Faith's dainty toes here, but would like to ask...

Would any of the posters who voted for it to continue be willing to help run the Cooking Club?

I looks like there are quite a few posters in favour of it continuing. I don't want to step on Faith's dainty toes here, but would like to ask...

Would any of the posters who voted for it to continue be willing to help run the Cooking Club?

I'll put myself forward anyway if there's anything I can do

• Advertisement

I'd have a go, I haven't even contributed a recipe before but wouldn't mind lending a hand if it keeps it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I'm still a newbie around these parts, but I'd be willing to contribute a recipe and help out in whatever way I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I would definitely be willing to help. The food mods put a hell of a lot of work into it, so if they need a hand, I'll gladly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

I am another one who is guilty of not posting when i make a recipie. I wait in anticipation each week and look forward to giving a new recipie a go. I think it would be a shame if it was not continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I found I didn't make so many of this year's recipes. Sometimes they just weren't to my taste, or I have my own recipe for the same thing that I know and love :pac: Often the "project" dishes that take days to make I don't really try. I don't know why, I guess the dish REALLY has to appeal to me before I'll spend ages making it!

I do respond to dishes that I make and like. Is that something that people are reluctant to do? Comment negatively on dishes they tried and don't like, or had some criticism of? It can be constructive, I would always look for honesty in response to the dishes I cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Yes, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I'm still a newbie around these parts, but I'd be willing to contribute a recipe and help out in whatever way I can.

Same here really. I am certainly available for recipes and whatnot. Just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I would also be willing to help. I love reading the Cooking Club, but I am terrible for not posting my efforts and experiences :o
    I think the Club is a great idea: it has a lovely community feel to it and it is a great testament to the hard work of the food mods :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'd be up to help out, no bother there. I know you guys have a hard time ensuring people are ready to post and haven't forgotten etc and to get a replacement, so I can certainly help out.

As for the dishes. Hhhmmm. I absolutely love reading them, and making them and am guilty of not showing my efforts but I love reading every one else's responses. So I will certainly get more involved.

As for the selection of dishes, I think there is a fair amount of variety and quiet a few that wouldn't tickle my taste buds but more do tickle, than don't.

I'm not sure if there is any way to improve the cooking club, but I suppose maybe as posters we should make more of an effort to respond to recipes because if someone didn't get a response they might shy away from posting in future, and that would be a shame because there is a very nice little foodie community here and it would be a shame to lose that.

• Advertisement

ChewChew wrote: »
    if someone didn't get a response they might shy away from posting in future, and that would be a shame because there is a very nice little foodie community here and it would be a shame to lose that.

I think that's what stopped me putting myself forward this year, 2011's recipe turned out to be a slight disaster :o

However I've made the decision to come back with a bang next year :)

Advertisement