Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dictator Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Roy Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Vlad The Impaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Number of battles won by Italy under Mussolsolini's leadership? Lets be honest he was in it for the uniforms, same as Goering.

Italy in modern history have been a disaster when it comes to war, their messing in Greece and Yugoslavia delayed Germany's Operation Barbarossa by 3 months which in the end proved fatal to it's success with the Russian winter closing in. The joke still goes today that Italian tanks have 3 reverse gears.

Where he is fondly remembered is in his domestic policies, life in Italy did improve under him. For instance he dismantled the Sicilian Mafia, driving it over seas in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Miss Twenty Major, my vote would go to Enver Hoxha, mad Albanian dictator.

He liked bunkers and built mad little conrete bunkers, the chap who designed them was asked if they were fit for purpose and after replying yes was told to stand in the bunker whilst an Albanian tank showered it with shells, he lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Vincent Browne

David McSavage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Glenn Greenwald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ming!

We'd all nicely stoned sitting beside our big turf-fuelled fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Tito.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Don't put all your eggs in the one bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Morgan Freeman.
    People would hang on his every word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Haven't we had Bertie already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Italy in modern history have been a disaster when it comes to war, their messing in Greece and Yugoslavia delayed Germany's Operation Barbarossa by 3 months which in the end proved fatal to it's success with the Russian winter closing in. The joke still goes today that Italian tanks have 3 reverse gears.

Where he is fondly remembered is in his domestic policies, life in Italy did improve under him. For instance he dismantled the Sicilian Mafia, driving it over seas in the process

To be fair to the Italians, they fought well in the First World War.

ads20101 wrote: »
    Haven't we had Bertie already?

That's not good enough, we're looking for a real dictatorship, a one party state where we learn from the mistakes of history and maybe make it work for longer this time. A thousand year empire with me and my politburo making Ireland glorious.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I wouldn't say he succeeded in dismantling the Sicilian mafia, who were effectively a fifth column for the American invasion of the island. The Sicilian mafia were just as powerful after Il Duce as before, if not more so.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he succeeded in dismantling the Sicilian mafia, who were effectively a fifth column for the American invasion of the island. The Sicilian mafia were just as powerful after Il Duce as before, if not more so.

They regained momentum in the time after his death, American gangsters like Lucky Luciano returned to the country in the aftermath. The surviving mobsters supported the invasion because they knew they could get their power and influence back both in Sicily and on the mainland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Kony. He'll get all the kids into activities so they arent mugging people and drinking in the parks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

De wife. She's had plenty of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Kim Jong-Un. Because he is the sexiest man alive. The official Chinese Daily believed this.

The onion article

Kim Jong-Un. Because he is the sexiest man alive. The official Chinese Daily believed this.

The onion article

His wife is smoking hot, I saw pictures of them online recently. Apparently she's a film star in N.K, whatever that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Ming!

We'd all nicely stoned sitting beside our big turf-fuelled fires.

Some of us already are. It's tough going getting up to throw more turf on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Larry Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Ghangis Khan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Michael O' Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

RTE's late-night continuity announcer, lovely speaking voice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hugo Chavez.

Is democratically elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hitler was alright apart from the who killing people malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Thatcher.

Shake some **** out of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Seaneh wrote: »
    Is democratically elected.
    Lets not split hairs here. I'm sick of Inda and I want to trade him to Venezuela.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Since a dictator is a self-appointed leader I will go for Miriam O'Callaghan or Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Benito Mussolini the founder of Fascio di Combattimento the original fascist party which Hitler found inspiration from.

He is credited with developing Italy from a backward kip into a modern country, the draining of the Pointaine Marshes the building of the Autostrada etc. He didn't share Hitlers crazy anti semitism, he refused to open concentration camps and many Jews fled to Italy at that time. High ranking members of his party were also Jewish. He's more popular in Italy now than he ever was, and not just among Lazio supporters, polls indicate that Italians would consider returning to this form of rule.

Italians however not to stereotype are emotional lunatics and often pine for the past.:pac:

ummmmmm I take it you didn't hear about the concentration camps set up by the Italians in Slovak nations, taking part in "ethnic cleansing".. Just because he is popular in Italy at the moment doesn't wipe what he has done and is responsible for..

..and as for who I would want, can't go wrong with Fintan O'Toole.. or Socky the Sock Monster (what ever happened to him?)

Advertisement