Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championships

Options
  • 30-11-2012 10:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Tommorow sees the start of the televised stages of this years UK Championship. The qualifying rounds were held last week where probably the most surprising news was the performance of 55 year old Steve Davis reaching the televised stages.

Fergal O'Brien will be the Republics only representive as his fellow Dubliner Ken Doherty fell at the final hurdle 6-3 to rising star Michael White.

The BBC will be providing coverage and will have amongst others seven time world champuon Stephen Hendry in the commentary box.

With no Ronnie this year defending champion Judd Trump and new world number one will fancy the job as will John Higgins and several others i suspect.
    My tip is John Higgins, he's back playing some great snooker and is having a great season so far.

Here's the link for the draw, prize money etc........

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~2253477,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Should be good. My tip is Mark Allen 12/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

The-Ferginator1.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Could not fault Maguire yesterday, he looks on scintillating form.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Really don't know what to say after Trump got knocked out earlier. Joyce looked dead an buried, Trump got complaecant and lost the game himself. Taking nothing away from Joyce though, he buried deep for that win.

Looks like Allen is about to be knocked out by in-form Marco Fu too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

The holder and beaten finalist gone out, makes for an exciting weeks snooker.

• Advertisement

Mark Allen once again under investigation over cheating comments made against Marco Fu.

After watching the majority of the first round matches, my money is on either Higgins, Maguire or Robertson to go all the way.

What a tournament so far. Mark King has knocked out Mark Williams.

Brecel and Walden match is terrible imo. Brecel could sneak this (currently 4-4) as Walden has given away so many chances. Seems to be digging himself a hole since the mid session interval.

Well, Brecel has won out 6-5... interesting. Playing a very beatable Mark King in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well, Brecel has won out 6-5... interesting. Playing a very beatable Mark King in the next round.

I was very impressed with Brecel near the end of the game. He was very patient and took on the right shot most of the time. He was under alot of pressure its understandable he was not that great. Still showed bottle to win and i hope he can relax now and play well against King.

Stevens wins 6-4 against Fu in a very tight and intruiging match. Could have gone either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Yes very good win by Stevens, considering he was 4-1 up and it got back to 4-4 with FU having the momentum, he had a brilliant clearance in the 9th frame, he almost let FU back into the game but held out to win,

I am delighted for him, if he plays to the same standard as he did in the 9th frame I do not see any reason why he can not win,

will it be Higgins? that would be a great match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

will it be Higgins? that would be a great match.

That would be pick of the quarters alright.

Bingham vs Maguire is a very tough one to call tonight. Stuart has been the form player recently, especially with his Premier League win.

celticfc wrote: »
    That would be pick of the quarters alright.

Bingham vs Maguire is a very tough one to call tonight. Stuart has been the form player recently, especially with his Premier League win.

Looks like 4-4, all to play for still.

In other news... Williams is now threatening to quit.

Amazing. Brecel through to the quarters. Selby also through. Brecel will meet Murphy in the quarters. Cannot see him winning but then again the King match was strange. A mixture of luck of skill saw him through in the end.

Davis and Higgins currently on the table, Higgins not looking comfortable. Davis took the first frame with a fluke on the yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Yeah can't believe Brecel through. Little bits of luck at the right times and gutsy performances against Walden and King who both let 2 frame leads slip. Nothing seems to faze the youngster. Think Murphy will be a bridge too far tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

for some reason this championship is not doing it for me this year and i dont know why. is it that ronnie isnt playing plus hendry's gone. is it the different format. shorter matches these days. maybe it's getting harder to watch it with the amount of corruption rumours that go around. or maybe it's just me!!! but even the crowd seem unusually quiet. i wonder are attendences down. seems very little atmosphere. hopefully it will get better. higgins davis might shap up nicely currently 3-2 davis

davylee wrote: »
    for some reason this championship is not doing it for me this year and i dont know why. is it that ronnie isnt playing plus hendry's gone. is it the different format. shorter matches these days. maybe it's getting harder to watch it with the amount of corruption rumours that go around. or maybe it's just me!!! but even the crowd seem unusually quiet. i wonder are attendences down. seems very little atmosphere. hopefully it will get better. higgins davis might shap up nicely currently 3-2 davis

Think it's just you, I think it's been a great tournament so far. Tickets were sold out too as I tried to get some a few weeks ago :P Davis match looks to be going all the way. Could be a late one if Higgins brings back the deficit of 4-2

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

max comin here forget my last statement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Quality max from Higgins, fantastic last red. Still a lot to do in the match though .

Amazing!

• Advertisement

Is the comeback king at it again, his comebacks at the 2009 World Championship were ridiculously good.

Looking good in the 9th frame here. It might not be long until squeaky bum time for Mark Davis. :)

Di-Cider time, fantastic entertainment this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

And he misses an easy pink wow! and now the pink is safe:rolleyes:

What a pink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Higgins must of had cheeky few quid on the 6-5 Davis

Great great match, delighted for Mark and as a big Higgins fan, I'm gutted for John.

Also, 147 repeat is live on BBC 2 NOW!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Missing a pink off the spot like that..?

Unfortunately for John, people will think the worst of him.

I'm delighted for Mark Davis though. Coming good at this stage of his career...:)

Always glad to see Higgins lose. Though I'd be happier if the other players took a stand and I'd never see him on TV again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Great final frame, Murphy was so lucky, but the young man has many more years to prove his stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Yeah great match. Murphy was more nervous than Brecel, both rode their luck.

Advertisement