Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Anyone remember the following? This fella is at home watching a football match on the telly and in response to some mistake the goalie makes he says angrilly "Oh.....butterfingers!". Then he starts reminiscing about when he was a goalie and he has an interior monologue "remember when they used to call me magicfingers?". Flashback to him mowing the lawn and he gets down and sticks his hand under the mower to free something then his face freeze frames in agony as presumably his fingers get lopped off. It was shown on RTE either during or soon after the 1990 World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Not sure if this one has been highlighted yet.

Game Of Chance. An Irish road safety film from the mid 1970s. It is in two parts and narrated by Niall Toibin. I saw it in school during the early 1980s.

Almost inevitably, the film has been uploaded by a UK collector - the 35mm print made its way to a school in Devon. Fair play to him for preserving something that we should be doing.

I remember this one, that horrible (coughing?) noise at the start and the shot of the dead calf at the end. Technically it's not a PIF but I remember it invoking the same uneasy feeling as a lot of them did.

http://ifiplayer.ie/dictol-oral-husk/

Another old RTE one from it must be the 70's just popped into my head, a young lad goes into the shop and leaves his bike lying on the footpath. Either a milkman or a baker carrying bread trips over it. I have a vague memory of him wearing a white deliveryman uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Where's grand dad?

(hat floating down the river)

• Advertisement

Where's grand dad?

(hat floating down the river)

darkdubh wrote: »
    Another old RTE one from it must be the 70's just popped into my head, a young lad goes into the shop and leaves his bike lying on the footpath. Either a milkman or a baker carrying bread trips over it. I have a vague memory of him wearing a white deliveryman uniform.

Think it's a baker carrying a wide board of sliced pans. Not a happy man!

Think it's a baker carrying a wide board of sliced pans. Not a happy man!

Yeah that's coming back to me now. Presume it was in the same series as the one with the two lads on bikes chasing another fella going "Oi after Im!"?

In the link to the Ray Darcy Show YT upload of that advert it says in the description "we eventually managed to track this ad down and two more. Check them out here!"

Does anyone know what the other two ads were? Despite the wording there's no link to any other old adverts from what I can see.

https://youtu.be/NjWHrjCG1LQ

Does anyone know what the other two ads were? Despite the wording there's no link to any other old adverts from what I can see.

Possibly referring to the other two situations in the PIF? Oil drum and garden pond?

• Advertisement

Possibly referring to the other two situations in the PIF? Oil drum and garden pond?

Ok, that kind of makes sense.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the PSA on RTE with the lad in a leather jacket talking about going out every weekend with his mates and getting locked with a flagon of cider? Early 80's I think.
    Anyone remember a PIF that used to be on RTE in the mid 80s that showed this young guy in silhouette,you coulden't make out his face and it started out with him saying in a strong Dublin accent "my old mans always going on about the youth of today"?I think it might have been about underage drinking,not too sure.

Now that I think about it these might be the same ad. The guy was filmed standing in a dark alleyway at night maybe lit from behind and you couldn't see his face.

At the 5.30 mark here is one I'd forgotten about for years. Dublin Bus advert warning that buses were now fitted with security cameras and showing footage of two scobes on a bus fighting (thought at the time it was real but looking at it now seems staged),. I remember in our school we were allowed watch Ireland's qualifying matches for Italia 90, this ad break is taken from the Republic versus NI so it was probably here that I first saw it. I remember everyone burst out laughing at it when it came on.

Wasn't there a series of those TV licence ads back in the early 90s with him in them?

The first instalment,I think,was a kind of scary one where Dave is alone watchin the telly,and then the telly starts doing all weird things,the doorbell rings and then "ANSWER THE DOOR" repeatedly flashes up on the TV screen.

And then in the other one,the telly starts talkin to Dave again and this time it sounds more sinister,and at the end of the ad the telly says:
    "And when they come calling to see you,it won't be 'Do the decent thing,Dave.'
    It will be 'Where is your licence,Sir?'"

That guy turned up in Fair City as Sean _______, a politician mate of Dermot's.

National Road Safety Association pif here on the dangers of lorrys and bridges. Pretty tame stuff, no crashes or anything like that but it features the animated NRSA logo at the end which I think is the one that used to feature in their classic 70's and 80's pifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Christ almighty.Look at this one.

• Advertisement

I know I have probably posted this already.But just to say that the voiceover in this ad is brilliant.He really nails it,especially at the end.

Anyone familiar with the Scarfolk blog? It brilliantly parodies the likes of 70's safety adverts and other weird aspects of 70's popular culture (all UK albeit).

wardrobe_www-scarfolk-blogspot-com.jpg

I know I have probably posted this already.But just to say that the voiceover in this ad is brilliant.He really nails it,especially at the end.

It's really hard to know whether men or women do the better voiceovers judging by this one.

Here's one I've never seen before. Was this shown on TV does anyone know? Also is just me who can't get sound on it?

https://lovindublin.com/video/you-honestly-couldnt-make-up-this-irish-road-safety-video-from-the-70s

Here's one I've never seen before. Was this shown on TV does anyone know? Also is just me who can't get sound on it?

https://lovindublin.com/video/you-honestly-couldnt-make-up-this-irish-road-safety-video-from-the-70s

No sound on that link.
    However if you go to the Glasnevin Heritage FB page - https://www.facebook.com/GlasnevinHeritage/ - select videos and scroll down a bit, it's there and plays sound.

Don't remember the advert on TV but some of the images seem familiar as stills.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

No sound on that link.
    However if you go to the Glasnevin Heritage FB page - https://www.facebook.com/GlasnevinHeritage/ - select videos and scroll down a bit, it's there and plays sound.

Don't remember the advert on TV but some of the images seem familiar as stills.

Jaysus, some of those scenes of crossing the road and kids having close encounters with cars look dangerous enough. A few scenes of cars coming very close at speed to children.

Same ad again.
    Only this time,an echo is added to his voice at the end making it sound scarier,and making him sound ten times better.

Rabies Kills newspaper advert from the Indo 1979. Presume this was connected with the TV ad with the still image of the dog jumping off the boat.

http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/INA/SharedView.Article.aspx?href=SIN%2F1979%2F05%2F27&id=Ar01108&sk=8A1BE620

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Forgotten about this one from the 90's.

Advertisement