Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Ascend G330

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brianorb

Hi breathn: I press the app key, then the clock icon, then add alarm ... it seems fine to me? (I got my G330 at Christmas.)

I'm presuming the phone kicking back to the home screen is a separate issue - that hasn't happened to me.
    Bringing up the keyboard a lot - haven't seen that either.
    I have had 3 or 4 spontaneous reboots [in a week of use], nothing that upsetting.
    I would prefer a longer battery life, I do quite a bit of 3G browsing during the day which seems to sap the power. I installed juice defender yesterday, so I'm waiting to see if that improves matters.

I'm quite happy with the phone, there are things I'd like improved but for the money I think it's a really good value product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

brianorb wrote: »
    I have had 3 or 4 spontaneous reboots [in a week of use]

I have this issue too. I hope it doesn't become worse as the phone ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nascimento wrote: »
    I have this issue too. I hope it doesn't become worse as the phone ages.

Me too,

Does anyones pick up almost every word typed in a message as a red underline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Me too,

Does anyones pick up almost every word typed in a message as a red underline?

I reported the issue on the eMobile thread in the eircom forum. Their response, or lack thereof is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Never knew anything about Huawei until I started reading this thread. I'm keen to buy either the 300 or 330. Any suggestions as to where to purchase - I'm going to Newry during the week. Are there any problems buying online

• Advertisement

ttenneb wrote: »
    Never knew anything about Huawei until I started reading this thread. I'm keen to buy either the 300 or 330. Any suggestions as to where to purchase - I'm going to Newry during the week. Are there any problems buying online

Hi. I don't think you're going to save much by buying in the UK [unless you're buying unlocked]; you may be as well to buy local in case you have an issue. I got the G330, have had it a couple of weeks now, so it's early days but I'm very happy with it. It has some issues [battery life isn't fabulous, has rebooted a couple of times, seems to be some dictionary problems with messaging], for the money I think it's great. Decent screen, camera's okay, reasonably solid build, has played any game I've thrown at it.

Hi. I don't think you're going to save much by buying in the UK [unless you're buying unlocked]; you may be as well to buy local in case you have an issue. I got the G330, have had it a couple of weeks now, so it's early days but I'm very happy with it. It has some issues [battery life isn't fabulous, has rebooted a couple of times, seems to be some dictionary problems with messaging], for the money I think it's great. Decent screen, camera's okay, reasonably solid build, has played any game I've thrown at it.

Im getting about 2 days from Battery which is good, seems better than my old Xperia S. How long you getting?

Id go for the 330 if you are a standard user, f you are one who likes to tinker maybe the 300 is better as there is a large mod community for it . Ill disagree on the Camera though, i find it horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Anyone else notice that if you take out the battery, the phone still works perfectly fine for at least 2 to 3 mins?

I was in a rush so put battery back in but wondering how long it'll last without a battery in it! That's some capacitor that must be in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I bought the 330 today, Im very impressed with it considering I paid €149 for it. I think its a blast of a phone for the money..

Why buy a lesser specced phone for the same money when you can have this? Anyone thinking about buying one go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

I got the G330 last week in meteor and got the unlock code fromt he site mentioned above, for vodafone.

When I entered the code it came up on the vodafone network but a message keeps popping up saying "unfortunatley android has stopped" or something like that, and I need to keep clicking OK.

I've email the guys who sent the unlock code for advice...Anyone have any similar experience? or recommendations on a work around.

• Advertisement

ArraMusha wrote: »
    I got the G330 last week in meteor and got the unlock code fromt he site mentioned above, for vodafone.

When I entered the code it came up on the vodafone network but a message keeps popping up saying "unfortunatley android has stopped" or something like that, and I need to keep clicking OK.

I've email the guys who sent the unlock code for advice...Anyone have any similar experience? or recommendations on a work around.

I'm not the worlds greatest expert on these things but...
    - the "unfortunately android has stopped" message, have you more detail with regards to the process involved? Is it saying 'android.process.acore' or words to that effect, has stopped?

I would be surprised if an unlock code would cause this to happen; it usually happens if there's some conflict with the apps you've installed.

You may need to factory reset the device... however please get someone else's advice on that - I've never done it and I'm not sure if it'll make things worse, though by the sounds of it the phone may be unusuable... It sounds like android may be in a mess.

Any custom Roms out for this?

have you more detail with regards to the process involved? Is it saying 'android.process.acore' or words to that effect, has stopped?

The actual message is "unfortunately, process com.android.phone has stopped"...does this shine any light on it?

The feedback from the unlock people is similar to your advice brianorb, they said...

"Have you updated/installed any apps recently? A messed up app may be causing your issue. try booting into recovery & clearing system cache"

I'm no expert on how to do this, I've asked them for the button press routine or location...might try the vodafone shop???:(

ArraMusha wrote: »
    The actual message is "unfortunately, process com.android.phone has stopped"...does this shine any light on it?

The feedback from the unlock people is similar to your advice brianorb, they said...

"Have you updated/installed any apps recently? A messed up app may be causing your issue. try booting into recovery & clearing system cache"

I'm no expert on how to do this, I've asked them for the button press routine or location...might try the vodafone shop???:(

Turn off the phone, then turn it back on holding down the power + volume up buttons - this takes a minute or two, keep them pressed down. You'll recognise the menu with a fallen Android robot with an exclamation mark over it.

You should see five options. Scroll to 'Wipe cache partition' using the volume up/down buttons and press the power button to confirm.

How old is your SIM card? If it's too old that might be a problem, see if you can get a replacement from Vodafone.

"How old is your SIM card? If it's too old that might be a problem, see if you can get a replacement from Vodafone. "

I think your right!
    Just came across this post. I'll get an updated SIM tomorrow and see if that does it....:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I want to buy one from meteor online store can i get it unlocked for three if i use that website people have used

I want to buy one from meteor online store can i get it unlocked for three if i use that website people have used

I got mine from eMobile (same difference, I suppose) and I'm using mine on Three. This is the seller I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huawei-unlock-code-G600-G330-Y100-Y200-G300-G6800-G6310-G5000-G5520-G6609-U8652-/181048491555?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4756114812944576063%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D181029885035%26

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wanaknowmore

I was just going to buy a G300 (PAYG) from Vodafone for a younger family member but came across this tread.

Just wondering how folk who have had the G300, compare their experience with the G330?

Some web reviews are lukewarm about the newer model but I find that there is always an undercurrent of "its not an S3 or Iphone 5" about these reviews. Just wondering how real people are getting with it?

Thanks.

For anyone who gets this phone unlocked like I did, you need to make sure you have a modern (post 2007) SIM for it to work in this smartphone.

I got the phone from meteor, and I had this error after I unlocked it and inserted the Vodafone SIM, "unfortunately, process com.android.phone has stopped"...

Got a new SIM yesterday and it now works fine...:):)

I was just going to buy a G300 (PAYG) from Vodafone for a younger family member but came across this tread.

Just wondering how folk who have had the G300, compare their experience with the G330?

Some web reviews are lukewarm about the newer model but I find that there is always an undercurrent of "its not an S3 or Iphone 5" about these reviews. Just wondering how real people are getting with it?

Thanks.

How "tech savvy" are they?

I have this phone and its fine, battery life seems to last 2 days which is a major plus, but them in a definte light user

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    How "tech savvy" are they?

I have this phone and its fine, battery life seems to last 2 days which is a major plus, but them in a definte light user

Thanks for your reply Naughtb4.

My son is early teens and reasonably tech savy but has not been a heavy user so far. He keeps his web browsing etc for his laptop.
    I assume that his habits will change if the phone supports it but having to charge the phone every night wouldn't tax him too much.
    I'm familiar with rooting android devices and installing different ROMs so his challenge will be keeping me away from playing with it!

Thanks for your reply Naughtb4.

My son is early teens and reasonably tech savy but has not been a heavy user so far. He keeps his web browsing etc for his laptop.
    I assume that his habits will change if the phone supports it but having to charge the phone every night wouldn't tax him too much.
    I'm familiar with rooting android devices and installing different ROMs so his challenge will be keeping me away from playing with it!
    o

haha, i had the same decision to make a few weeks ago. He seems a similar user to me tbh.

General consensus is good community etc for the 300 which is fun to mess around with ROMS etc and can get JB using this.
    330 is dual core and a better phone but the Huawei Roms for both dont seem great. As of yet there doesnt seem to be a community for the 330, this could change but i wouldnt bet on it.

I had rooted my phone previously but decided to go with a dual core over that. For the difference in price i think the 330 is a winner, though i have never tried the 300.

I had an Xperia S prior to this and tbh i prefer this due to the nicer shape.Occasional lag, but that is a stock Rom issue which hopefully will be solved in the future.

In summary mess with Roms etc consider the 300
    If not, out of the box the 330 is the better phone and for most standard users is the better purchase

Thanks Naughtb4,

Probably will go for the G330. My son would prefer the straight out of the box experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Got this phone just after Christmas from emobile/meteor. Unlocked on ebay for a few euro. Do find the battery life a bit on the short side. Half an hour playing a game will see the battery meter drop 15 or 20%.

Certain things seem a bit sluggish too. The stock android browser, I found scrolling google search results a bit delayed, not fluid when dragging finger to scroll the page, not a big deal but noticeable. I've switched to using chrome and things seems better.

Also the default home screen launcher app, often slow to redraw after coming out of an app. Switched to using ADW I'd bought for previous phone and find it much quicker

Video playback is another thing I'm not sure about. MXplayer doesn't seem to do hardware playback in a lot of cases... maybe the hardware needs a bit more support or something. Also might have got a bit of stuttering on some videos I tested early on. A while since I tested so not sure what problem was

Have found myself hit the home button by mistake once or twice while typing. I guess I need to get used to fact it's not a hardware button like my last phone

Overall very happy with it but would be nice if it had jellybean or some roms to try, maybe there'll be some updates for the phone at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JamieTorpey

Anybody have a case or cover for one of these?

Anybody have a case or cover for one of these?
    I got this one, although cheaper than this price. Find it very good overall.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=261142159079&index=11&nav=SEARCH&nid=38368021548

Anyone know how to.get the fm transmitter to work?

I've seen articles saying the phone has one, but I can't find it :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JamieTorpey

Don't think it's on European models, just Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 46 extremebogman

bought this phone today from meteor. Want to unlock it but the previous link on ebay has unlisted the ad. If someone could reccomend another site that would be great as I have no clue about this and am nervous about losing my money to some dodgy hoodwinker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

bought this phone today from meteor. Want to unlock it but the previous link on ebay has unlisted the ad. If someone could reccomend another site that would be great as I have no clue about this and am nervous about losing my money to some dodgy hoodwinker

The listing I bought from seems to be deleted, do see a listing for 7£, bit more expensive than the other seller I think

Did take 2 days to receive code from guy I bought it from

Advertisement