Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda wiped driving slate for two judges and RTE presenter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

kerry4sam wrote: »
    From this article, I find the following to be suspect:
    Quote:
    The two whistleblowers who reported their claims to the authorities have been formally censured by the Garda Commissioner and are barred from using the Garda Pulse system.

Jeez, what is next for these members?! I find this damaging for An Garda Síochána and can't help but wonder what the next revelation will be and that this is just the tip of the ice-berg.

It's obvious they would be barred from using pulse considering what they were doing in the first place. Id say they could be dismissed for using the information in this way, there is a confidentially clause that they would have signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

HondaSami wrote: »

It's obvious they would be barred from using pulse considering what they were doing in the first place. Id say they could be dismissed for using the information in this way, there is a confidentially clause that they would have signed.

So they should ignore wrongdoing when they see it? I thought that is why we have a police force.

Have you heard of Detective Kevin Keys? If not, check him out before you talk about honest officers being dismissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

So they should ignore wrongdoing when they see it? I thought that is why we have a police force.

Have you heard of Detective Kevin Keys? If not, check him out before you talk about honest officers being dismissed.

I never said they should ignore wrongdoing but they were using information on pulse for the wrong reasons, its not what pulse is for and should not be used in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭eyeroad yearowl one

MagicSean wrote: »
    Data Protection Act primarily.

So it's ok to break the rules and the law if it's for the greater good or for something you believe to be right? I'm sure you see the problem in adopting a postion like that while judging Gardaí for using their discretion to decide wether to let people off.

Number 1. Would the same Data Protection Act cover this case? http://www.herald.ie/news/garda-quizzed-about-sargent-is-released-2104714.html
    What is your opinion of what should have happened to that particular guard?

Number 2. Garda "discretion to decide wether(sic) to let people off". Get out of that. Guards are servants of the people but not judge, jury and executioner. Their job is to enforce the law, not to decide who should be allowed to act outside it with impunity. Would you be a guard by any chance? Because a lot of them have notions about their own powers. Plenty of them are little more than glorified traffic wardens. Possibly harsh, but close to the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭eyeroad yearowl one

Following on from my previous post, I had a quick search. You seem to have changed your tune a bit since Trevor's case

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70478934&postcount=133
    MagicSean wrote:
    It's reformable but the reform has to come from the very top and most likely will need legislative change for some areas. That's not to say there can't be minor changes in practices and budgets can't be made at lower levels but any major overhaul can only come from the department of justice.

The GRA may be similar to a union but all they can really do is give opinions. They don't have the power of unions and often get excluded from any talks. The blue flu may have been industrial action but it is now a criminal offence to do something similar. I'm sorry you haven't been updated on the status of the Trevor sergeant affair but that hardly means nothing has been done. Surely that's between Trevor and the gardai and none of your business. Do you actually believe that was a conspiracy organised at the top level or are you just spouting random examples of bad gardai?

Then again, I suppose that there is a completely different legal basis :-) . I mean in this case the "leaker" was damaging one of their own. An insider. one to whom the rules don't apply. In Trevor's case though, there were only Guards on one side of the equation. In this case, the leaker could be sacrificed as it saved more of the insiders.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

NIMAN wrote: »
    Without wanting to read the entire thread, was the RTE presenter ever named?

Check out Page 3

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MagicSean wrote: »
    Some people just aren't happy unless they hear what they want to. I'm sorry this isn't some major scandal for you to dig your teeth into.
    gardai choosing not to apply the rules to their nearest, dearest etc yeah seems perfectly fair and legit, nothing to see here- Irish gombeenism at it's finest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Jeez, what is next for these members?! I find this damaging for An Garda Síochána and can't help but wonder what the next revelation will be and that this is just the tip of vthe ice-berg.

It all comes down to the begrudgingly accepted fact that no member of a Garda's family or his/her playmates will ever be done for for a relatively minor legal misdeamour.

Unlike the rest of the non-connected Joe Soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It all comes down to the begrudgingly accepted fact that no member of a Garda's family or his/her playmates will ever be done for for a relatively minor legal misdeamour.
    I couldn't agree more , a person I know was in a crash several years ago . The guards were called and the guards on duty was a good friend of the other driver . It was taken to court because the guard was completely bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

kneemos wrote: »
    Never heard of much or any corruption in the Gardi.
    Really, try googling "Gardai Donegal" or look at the Iaan Baily case!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

& Kieran Boylan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

Is that a Welsh lighthouse ? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

I was absolutely incensed when I read this.

Will be interesting to see what happens here.....will the golden circle crowd close ranks and come out with something like

"After a thorough investigation there was not enough evidence To discipline/convict anyone".

"I am satisfied , however that measures are now in place to ensure that sufficient controls and protocols are now in place to ensure that these alleged wrongdoings can never happen again".

Blah, blah ,freekin blah !

And I see that bleedin heart Micheal Martin has aspirations of leading FF back into Government !

Could we ever be that stupid..........whisper.....yes I'm afraid so......:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Policeman fined for helping colleagues avoid fine
    A Wodonga policeman who admitted giving a colleague advice on how to get out of a speeding fine, has escaped a conviction but received a $3000 fine.

In sentencing Senior Constable Owen Clarke in the Melbourne Magistrates Court this afternoon, magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg said it "still staggers imagination that somebody would risk so much for a month off the road".

Clarke was working with the Wodonga highway patrol unit when he received a call from colleague Ben Hamilton in July 2011 regarding a speeding fine Hamilton had received while driving home from a firearms training course at Benalla with another officer, Mark Deegan.

Hamilton had been detected travelling at 134 km/h in a 110 km/h zone.

He called Clarke and told him he was facing a $244 fine and a one-month licence suspension, but Clarke suggested he make up a story that he and Deegan were chasing a disqualified driver at the time.

The phone call was being recorded.

"Risk so much" -- that's the risk of the offence being detected and of the law being rigorously enforced, presumably. :rolleyes:

On the other hand:

Traffic fines racketeers walk free
    Two men involved in a $46,000 traffic fines racket have avoided conviction after a judge decided they deserved a second chance.

Braedon Archibald, 24, and Scott McMahon, 30, both of North Coburg, were involved in cheating the system of more than $46,000 in traffic fines over four years to December 2010.

They arranged to have false documents in fictitious names sent into the Traffic Camera Office declaring they were the drivers who had been speeding, not the original drivers.

The racket resulted in the fines imposed on the original drivers being withdrawn.

Archibald and McMahon were arrested as part of Victoria Police's Nordic Taskforce investigations into people trying to avoid paying speeding fines between 2008 and 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

HondaSami wrote: »
    I never said they should ignore wrongdoing but they were using information on pulse for the wrong reasons, its not what pulse is for and should not be used in this way.

"An Garda Síochána is legally entitled to obtain and process personal data, without the consent of the data subject in circumstances where personal data is obtained or kept for the purposes of preventing, detecting, or investigating offences, or apprehending or prosecuting offenders, where the seeking of such consent would be likely to prejudice these purpose"

I think that covers them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Look pal ...if I get caught speeding I expect to get a fine and to have to suck it up and cough up..OK ?

Why should..for example an RTE Presenter or a freekin Judge be any different...this is a bell weather one for me ..if this one is fudged or swep under the carpet it will prove that all politicians is basically the same.

Greasy corrupt roaches...gorging on the carcase of John Q taxpayer......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron

A double standard if ever there was one.

I know of these getting the dual law special treatment:
    Mary Devins (district court judge)
    Paul Williams (crime writer)
    Ronan O’Gara

Who else were named?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

Worztron wrote: »
    A double standard if ever there was one.

I know of these getting the dual law special treatment:
    Mary Devins (district court judge)
    Paul Williams (crime writer)
    Ronan O’Gara

Who else were named?

Investigate and only list those who have had points/fines squashed unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Look pal ...if I get caught speeding I expect to get a fine and to have to suck it up and cough up..OK ?

Why should..for example an RTE Presenter or a freekin Judge be any different...this is a bell weather one for me ..if this one is fudged or swep under the carpet it will prove that all politicians is basically the same.

Greasy corrupt roaches...gorging on the carcase of John Q taxpayer......

What would you do if your next door neighbour was a Garda and he said he would make it disappear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

elgriff wrote: »

What would you do if your next door neighbour was a Garda and he said he would make it disappear?
    Doubt I would bother for a speeding fine. You get a favour and are generally expected to return it at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

Ghandee wrote: »
    It starts with penalty points,

Next thing they're hiding guns and flushing a kilo of coke down the jacks for a drug dealer:pac::pac:
    i am on a lot of med at the mo, but i seem to remember sometthing about drugs going missing from the custody of ags in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Sorry i just want to rant I got a fine for parking outside a garda station,while i was inside it doing business....tells how low they are

Sorry i just want to rant I got a fine for parking outside a garda station,while i was inside it doing business....tells how low they are

If you were parked illegally then they were right to ticket you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

Should have used your parachute :)

Basically Paying to Report a crime that will never be investigated what a joke!!

Basically Paying to Report a crime that will never be investigated what a joke!!

No, basically paying for commiting a crime, ie. illegal parking, serves you right.

another know it all not going to bother ans

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

He has a point. If your parked illegally, they will give you a ticket. They probably didn't know where you were. You have the right to appeal if you wish anyway.

So you answered to say you wern't answering:D
    You parked illegally and got a ticket, pay up and move on:)

• Advertisement

i know what u are saying but i was not in the way (blocking or any other wise) parked behind another car. I was inside the door of the station waiting for the Guard to do my business.If the guard had just came in the door or looked in the door from the footpath he would have seen me...

Advertisement