Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me or is Today FM gone to the dogs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Last Word seems to be obsessed with competitions.

They have to pay the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I really don't like anything on rte so I like to try and stand up for Today FM, but they have been in decline recently.

I used to love listening to Ray D'Arcy about 3 years ago, especially fix it friday. Now I wouldn't be arsed listening to him.
    And I slowly grew to dislike the Ian Dempsey show after listening to it every morning for about 6/7 years. Gift grub in particular has got more and more annoying, it's just Mario doing variations of that annoying Joan Burton bit. The guy has talent but he's just being lazy

Despite all this, Cooper is a great listen. I'm amazed at how he manages to keep up to date with sport with everything, and he actually seems interested in pretty much everything he talks about.

Also, I'm surprised Paul McLoone hasn't got as much mention on this thread. The man is so easy to listen to and any time I tune in he's playing great music. He's probably one of my favourite dj's going and highly underrated in my opinion

Oh, and Jim O'Neill's Classic Gold Sunday is one of the greatest radio shows ever. I don't care if the playlist is repetitive, it's un-fucking-real. He has a perfect voice for radio. I'd say he could have done just as good a job at narrating the Shawshank Redemption tbh. He makes Sunday feel like a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Splintonius

Apologies for putting this question in this thread, but I can't find a more suitable place so here goes:

Does anyone by any chance know the name of the song used as the intro for many years to the old Sunday Supplement show with Sam Smyth?

I have enquired in several other places to no avail, so any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think it's that I've really gone off D'Arcy over that whole Ask.FM fiasco. I just can't bring myself to listen to him anymore

What fiasco was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Did anyone hear Phil cawley earlier on saying "I would" about marina of marina and the diamonds? Made me lol!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

What fiasco was this?

In a nutshell:

-Erin Gallagher committed suicide due to be being bullied on Ask.Fm.
    -D'Arcy goes on crusade, blaming Ask.FM for her death.
    -D'Arcy demands the founder of Ask.FM comes on his show because "he has questions to answer.
    -D'Arcy tells his listeners to seek out the Founder's social media, and harass him with demands to go on D'Arcy's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I'm honestly expecting D'Arcy to start spouting on about the dangers of Man-bear-pig one of these days... and what the government should be doing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irishstu88

Today FM is a shockingly poor excuse for a radio station... I would'nt listen to it in a fit but it is on in the office in work and i have no control on it...
    Ian Dempsey is a dinosaur who should be working as a voiceover artiste only, Ray Darcy is the most opinionated prat who is incapable of seeing a different viewpoint. Ray Foley is mercifully gone but probably decided to leave as Chris Moyles left his show in England as he just copied everything else he did (which was fairly grating anyway) and as for the Fenton fella... I really thought he was a p**s take... Has he never seen Harry Enfield or does he just think that Smashie and Nicey were just a couple of great DJ's getting a plug on the box... A good DJ introduces you to new music not playing the same dross for 6 mths in a loop and everything he mentions is 'the greatest of all time'. Dreadful rubbish. The whole station needs a revamp and just get rid of these old fogies and get some young blood in there that have an idea what new music there is in the world...
    OK... Rant over... I'm switching to LYRIC FM!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

irishstu88 wrote: »
    Today FM is a shockingly poor excuse for a radio station... I would'nt listen to it in a fit but it is on in the office in work and i have no control on it...
    Ian Dempsey is a dinosaur who should be working as a voiceover artiste only, Ray Darcy is the most opinionated prat who is incapable of seeing a different viewpoint. Ray Foley is mercifully gone but probably decided to leave as Chris Moyles left his show in England as he just copied everything else he did (which was fairly grating anyway) and as for the Fenton fella... I really thought he was a p**s take... Has he never seen Harry Enfield or does he just think that Smashie and Nicey were just a couple of great DJ's getting a plug on the box... A good DJ introduces you to new music not playing the same dross for 6 mths in a loop and everything he mentions is 'the greatest of all time'. Dreadful rubbish. The whole station needs a revamp and just get rid of these old fogies and get some young blood in there that have an idea what new music there is in the world...

Bahahaha...

I'm sorry, I don't disagree with your sentiments (well, except for Foley), but I just found it hilarious that you wanted "new music", but then said you were switching to Lyric. :pac:

Just made me smile. :)

And yes I know "new" music doesn't have to be recently released, as long as it's relatively unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Bahahaha...

I'm sorry, I don't disagree with your sentiments (well, except for Foley), but I just found it hilarious that you wanted "new music", but then said you were switching to Lyric. :pac:

Just made me smile. :)

And yes I know "new" music doesn't have to be recently released, as long as it's relatively unknown.

:-) got added to my ignore list for that gem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

pet sounds was the greatest radio show ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard Louise Duffy by accident this evening on her new 7-9pm slot (previously held by KC and Lenny). I think she is good and, while it would be nigh impossible to please me all the time musically, she did keep my attention for a while with her bright and relaxed personality and her adult-oriented music mix. I haven't heard much of KC in his new slot, but I thought he was reasonably good in his old slot.

Whatever one says about some of the other presenters, there is nothing rubbish about these two presenters.

And by the way... I have nothing against Matt Cooper. I regularly hear him on The Last Word and have no problem with either. I will change over to other stations from time to time: The Right Hook (George Hook) on Newstalk, Marty Miller on Radio Nova, Claire Beck on Phantom FM and a tiny bit of Gareth O'Callaghan on 4FM! But I am in the mood for current affairs on that drive home and usually end up going back to The Last Word.... except for long sport items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

irishstu88 wrote: »

I made the switch a while ago, even Marty Whelan is more appealing than listening to Today FM :p

I do still tune in for The Last Word, Classic Gold Sunday and Friday Night 80s but other than that I just can't listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I loved folley but the last year or so he started wrecking my head. I found myself switching his show off and listening to MP3 player, then ray darcy went same way, hate Ian anyway.

They need to bring in anton savage into the morning program 7-9am . I think he's good.
    And I always liked creepy Cawley .

I'm finding monkeysnapper fm (mp3) is getting more and more airtime all the time

Oh I do like mat cooper but hate rugby/gaa /

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irishstu88

There was a fairly hefty dose of irony attached to that comment wnolan...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Sometimes tune into KC at lunchtime now, has an interesting choice of tunes but as for the talk bit I just don't find him as engaging as Foley (not that I was expecting him to emulate Foley's style), but still far more tolerable than D'Arcy.

Duffy's the only other TodayFM presenter I'd have much time for but I don't really listen to radio during her timeslots.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I'd have to agree with a lot of what's being said here.

I used to listen to Today FM morning to night but I followed Foley to 98fm and I haven't listened to Dempsey since. Because of work I don't listen to the middle fo the day shows any more. I do listen to Matt Cooper though, but generally I flick back and forth between him and Dermot and Dave for the serious/fun contrast on the drive home.

I'd be a fan of Louise Duffy though. She has one of the better radio voices I've heard in a while. I heard her cover the 7-9 shift and I thought she was good on it. I reckon she could easily fit into that shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

Really glad foley is gone, it's great!!

Seen him standing around eating a burger at Oxegen a couple of years ago and a few fanboys rocked up to him kissing his áss... he thought he was the messiah..... annoying fooker..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jazzboy97

The fact that foley is gone and Paul McLoone can't get a decent slot cause of KC is losing them listeners. Only so much Fenton a human can take!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Friday night eighties for me, less talking and more music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I think Michael Mcmullen is a competent host. I seems peoples main gripe with him is his accent. Every criticism. Bit unfair. It's a good football show.

Paul McLoone plays some great music, but I don't get the chance to listen anymore really.

Is Alison Curtis gone now?

I think Michael Mcmullen is a competent host. I seems peoples main gripe with him is his accent. Every criticism. Bit unfair. It's a good football show.

Paul McLoone plays some great music, but I don't get the chance to listen anymore really.

Is Alison Curtis gone now?

Gone a good while at this stage.

Don't really know Dublin stations that well, but I believe she was knocking around Nova for a while but has been let go from there recently?

Would like to see her back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Gone a good while at this stage.

Don't really know Dublin stations that well, but I believe she was knocking around Nova for a while but has been let go from there recently?

Would like to see her back though.

Surely her on Phantom would be a perfect match?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I made the switch a while ago, even Marty Whelan is more appealing than listening to Today FM :p

I do still tune in for The Last Word, Classic Gold Sunday and Friday Night 80s but other than that I just can't listen to it.

Bring back John Ryan and his Sunday Show I say !!!!!...and for that matter,Radio Ireland ! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Surely her on Phantom would be a perfect match?

Could very well have been Phantom she was on. Not sure tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Could very well have been Phantom she was on. Not sure tbh.

Alison Curtis left Today FM for Phantom February last year. She was off on maternity leave for a while then. A month or two ago, Phantom got rid of Alison's afternoon show and expanded the hours of the programs before and after.

Here are just some of the ex-Today FM presenters: Robbie Irwin (RTE Sports), Tom Dunne (Newstalk), Donal Dineen (2FM), John Kelly (Lyric FM and RTE TV), Marty Miller (Radio Nova), Paul Power (KFM), Stephen Keogh (KFM), Tommy Greene (Sunshine 106.8) and Anne-Marie Kelly (Midlands Radio). If you go back to its Radio Ireland days, here are some more you could have: Philip Boucher-Hayes (RTE Radio and TV), Bill Hughes (Newstalk) and Seamus Duke (Shannonside??). This is just a flavour of people who have come and gone.

Advertisement