Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me or is Today FM gone to the dogs?

Options
  • 27-11-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Right, I alway was a huge fan of Today FM, generally would turn the radio to it at home when I used to come home at the weekend and liked most programmes from Iano right through to Cooper. I loved Foley for my sins.

But lately I find myself getting irritated by a lot of the presenters. Iano's constant plugging of Gift is wrecking my head, especially when I think Mario is trying to get the laughs from him impressions rather than funny situations (his Joan Burton was funny for about an hour, now it just grates). Darcy is such doom and gloom, so sure of his own opinions. KC is grand but I'm still in mourning for Foley. Fenton really wrecks my head and has for years now, playing the same songs over and over again, using his stupid rhyming slang, his utter smugness sometimes. Still think Cooper is the dogs boll1x tho.

For the matter, there's some parts I still love on today FM. Anton Savage is great and very entertaining, I listen to live after 5 on a saturday afternoon whenever I can, think Martin King is very good and I also like Louise Duffy.

So maybe Im just sick of the same lineup and routine, maybe Today FM's daytime schedule needs a shake up. Unfortunately Im in the west and so dont have too many alternatives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Matt Cooper is the only decent thing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Right, I alway was a huge fan of Today FM, generally would turn the radio to it at home when I used to come home at the weekend and liked most programmes from Iano right through to Cooper. I loved Foley for my sins.

But lately I find myself getting irritated by a lot of the presenters. Iano's constant plugging of Gift is wrecking my head, especially when I think Mario is trying to get the laughs from him impressions rather than funny situations (his Joan Burton was funny for about an hour, now it just grates). Darcy is such doom and gloom, so sure of his own opinions. KC is grand but I'm still in mourning for Foley. Fenton really wrecks my head and has for years now, playing the same songs over and over again, using his stupid rhyming slang, his utter smugness sometimes. Still think Cooper is the dogs boll1x tho.

For the matter, there's some parts I still love on today FM. Anton Savage is great and very entertaining, I listen to live after 5 on a saturday afternoon whenever I can, think Martin King is very good and I also like Louise Duffy.

So maybe Im just sick of the same lineup and routine, maybe Today FM's daytime schedule needs a shake up. Unfortunately Im in the west and so dont have too many alternatives.

There must be at least 10 stations available in the west and an infinite number of internet radio stations.....

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Do RTE have any transmitters in the Wesht?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

RTE's transmitters are listed here http://www.rte.ie/radio/tuning.html.

I listen only to Ian Dempsey and Ray Darcy on Today FM the rest of its output is not great in my opinion. Cant stand The Matt Cooper show most people he has on and nearly every thing out of his mouth is so ill informed. The whole thing lacking adequate and proper knowledge and frequently gives out incorrect information. Very sloppy research in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I was the same as you OP, I'd have it on during my way to work with Iano all the way through to Matt on the way home and then Paul McLoone or KC if I was out and about late on. Since Foley left though I have him on 98fm until 10, then D'Arcy till 12, KC til' 2.30 (He'll make a believer of you yet!) but Fenton goes off now in favour of the iPod until I go home and I have Matt on. Now KC is gone from evenings, I put a local station on.

Foley leaving has broken the 7am-7pm that I had going and I'd agree, it needs a bit of a shake-up, but who would replace Iano realistically? Fenton needs to go, preferably for Louise Duffy imo. After that, D'Arcy needs to be told to step away from the doom and gloom and get back to doing what he does best: a light entertainment show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

was thinking similar myself, but only about the Ray Darcy show as I'd be listening to Newstalk (or podcasts/ BBC) most of the other time.
    Was his music taste always this horrendous or have I a selective memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Going the same way as the OP.7

Used to listen to nothing but TodayFM in the car, but now I find most of the presenters irritating. Cant abide Dempsey in the morning. Never liked D'arcy, always been an irritating little ....

Used to love the Last Word, but not so much any more.

Tend to find myself listening to the RTEs more again, although they have their fair share of annoying presenters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Love cooper myself, he's excellent,KC is just ok i was never a big fan, interesting to see what they do with his old slot, Duffy was covering it last night,and she played girls aloud, must be the first time i ever heard girls aloud on today fm, clearly they arent concerned with trying to keep KC's old listeners at that time, cant imagine KC ever playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

NIMAN wrote: »
    Going the same way as the OP.7

Used to listen to nothing but TodayFM in the car, but now I find most of the presenters irritating. Cant abide Dempsey in the morning. Never liked D'arcy, always been an irritating little ....

Used to love the Last Word, but not so much any more.

Tend to find myself listening to the RTEs more again, although they have their fair share of annoying presenters too.

You are just getting old. Happens to everyone :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

kippy wrote: »
    There must be at least 10 stations available in the west and an infinite number of internet radio stations.....
    More Music wrote: »
    Do RTE have any transmitters in the Wesht?
    alfreg wrote: »
    RTE's transmitters are listed here http://www.rte.ie/radio/tuning.html.

Am I missing something here?

What has Today FM 'going to the dogs' got to do with transmitters in the West ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Lapin wrote: »

Was wondering that myself. Thread went off on a bizarre tanget there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Maybe you guys are getting older now and not interested in Today FM, or the fact Dempsey, Darcy and Fenton have been doing the same thing for such a long time now that people are getting bored. I dont listen to them enough to make those kinds of comments, but Off The Ball for example on Newstalk has changed over the years, new presenters, new segments, new contributours etc, while other shows just do the same stuff over and over again and expect listeners to stay listening. They could do with a schedule change up really, Foley leaving would have been a good time to do that but they missed that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lapin wrote: »

tunguska wrote: »
    Was wondering that myself. Thread went off on a bizarre tanget there.

Yeah, you missed something alright. No tangents here.
    The OP said, at the end of his post:
    Unfortunately Im in the west and so dont have too many alternatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Missed that ^^^^^^

But there's always the Keith "Indeed" Finnegan Show. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Rodin wrote: »
    Matt Cooper is the only decent thing on it

I agree, I love Matt and think he does a really good job on the Last Word. I also like Anton Savage and think Savage Sunday is good.......although the Sunday line up on radio in general can be pretty bad so maybe he doesn't have too much competition.
    Other than that I have given up on Today FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jim O Neills Sunday Oldies show is excellent to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Yup im gone off it a lot also lately, especially with that anton (spit) savage twat showing up all over. A big no no for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The longest I've listened to Today FM since Foley left was last Friday evening for about 90 minutes for Friday Night 80's, which is cracking. :)

In fact, I'd nearly say that's the only time I've listened to Today FM since Foley left... I never realised how big of a draw to the station he was for me. If I'm awake, Foley's on til 10, then I usually have to leave so the radio (internet) goes off. If I'm around later I generally tend to listen to Will Leahy instead of Cooper, just because I want a chill out show at that time. Then OTB on NT.

Whereas before I'd listen to D'Arcy while waiting for Foley, then Foley, then a bit of Fenton, then KC after Will Leahy.

I think it's that I've really gone off D'Arcy over that whole Ask.FM fiasco. I just can't bring myself to listen to him anymore, and then I just don't think of turning it on for KC.

Funny how different people like different things, including radio DJs.

I absolutely loathed Foley, and is one of the reasons I would turn over TodayFM during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

What can I say? You cant beat Spin Southwest!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

What happened to Martin King? I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I found his show quite enjoyable on a Saturday morning. I thought the other presenter (Muireann?) was just a stand-in but she's been there for a few weeks now, and not a great replacement in my humble opinion.
    I don't remember him saying the show was finishing the last time he was on so it seems strange, especially since he's been on for a few years now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

DuckStab wrote: »
    What happened to Martin King? I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I found his show quite enjoyable on a Saturday morning. I thought the other presenter (Muireann?) was just a stand-in but she's been there for a few weeks now, and not a great replacement in my humble opinion.
    I don't remember him saying the show was finishing the last time he was on so it seems strange, especially since he's been on for a few years now.

He confirmed the last time he was on that he would no longer be doing that show. Muireann O'Connell is his replacement, and King is doing fill-in work now. Heard him on last Saturday evening I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Is it me or is Today FM gone to the dogs?

Deffo you.......we all realised this a looong time ago....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

probably a lot to do with its owner wanting to try and get us all to think its sister station Newstalk is the bees knees and the subsequent downgrading(lack of investment) in Today FM to make it play second fiddle.. just my opinion on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Dempsey is infuriating. The man would sell dog poop bags if it meant getting 15 seconds more airtime.

Darcy is a passive aggressive little bugger. Basically says things and puts it in such a way that if you don't agree with him, your a cúnt.

Today FM did get rid of Foley, ill hand that one to them, best move in the last few years...(or did he leave them?:confused:)

Cooper is deadly, though the man could argue with paint drying on a wall, entertaining all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I agree to be honest.
    But I think it is really a case of Irish radio has gone to the dogs (even more so than it already had). To me it is down to the near monopoly of Comunicorp. The basic problem being that anything that isn't middle of the road cannot take enough of the market share to generate the advertising to keep them in business.
    Gradually anything that is different fails, and gets absorbed into the bland beast.

The most irritating thing by a mile on TodayFM for me is their sports presenters. They have the worst, ever in the history of radio.

How did they manage to find the 2 most irritating voices in the world in Michael McMullan and Nathan Murphy and get them to work in the same place?

And McMullan gets SO EXCITED any time he even mentions anything to do with the EPL. His life would have no meaning without English football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

was never a big todayFM fan to begin with but ive noticed ive stopped listening to matt cooper as much as i used to.

in fact im hard pressed to remember if i tuned in AT ALL this week and i was a fairly regular listener to it.

i still listen religiously to the sunday business show.

it hands down beats all its competitiors since mark mortell left newstalk.

havnet listened to their sunday show since the whole sam smyth controversey out of , well pure bloody mindedness. it just helps i cant stand that smug savage and i dont want to contribute to any listnership figures that rewards the scumbaggery that went on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

have always been a today fm listener, but used to switch to rte 1 for the one o clock news and then liveline for the comedy that it it.
    Now instead of switching back to today fm at 3pm I go to newstalk. I enjoy montcrieff but he is annoying as he says before every word aahhh aahhh it is so annoying, even worse than darcy.
    Find george hook enjoyable for a bit of escapeism but find it hard to beat matt cooper for proper news analysis.
    The station does need a shake up, especially tony fenton, as I said before he needs a weekend show to play the music that he likes, not a prime time afternoon show, it doesn`t work for him.

• Advertisement

The Last Word seems to be obsessed with competitions.

Advertisement