Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crew cab tax question.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

my insurance (liberty) covers me for social and commercial use which i think most insurance polices do and that is on a crewcab (navara) as well as a 2 seater pajero

• Registered Users Posts: 38 elreberendo

my insurance (liberty) covers me for social and commercial use which i think most insurance polices do and that is on a crewcab (navara) as well as a 2 seater pajero

Thanks a million for your quick reply, really appreciate it mate!

Wow that's brilliant! Fair play to Liberty, I'll check with AXA but afaik there is a checkbox on the renewal policy for choosing either commercial or private use (perhaps it's a matter of ticking BOTH! :)).

I understand both of your cars are 2 seater (no 2nd row of seats) but the cars I see on donedeal are 5 seater (even 7 seater!), would this affect on next doe? (comm test instead of nct). Obviously I don't own a company nor have 3 employees as required.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to ensure that I'm not going to waste thousands of euros or in the future have any test or insurance issues.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Thanks a million for your quick reply, really appreciate it mate!

Wow that's brilliant! Fair play to Liberty, I'll check with AXA but afaik there is a checkbox on the renewal policy for choosing either commercial or private use (perhaps it's a matter of ticking BOTH! :)).

I understand both of your cars are 2 seater (no 2nd row of seats) but the cars I see on donedeal are 5 seater (even 7 seater!), would this affect on next doe? (comm test instead of nct). Obviously I don't own a company nor have 3 employees as required.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to ensure that I'm not going to waste thousands of euros or in the future have any test or insurance issues.

Thanks a lot.
    My navara is 5 seats, 2 in the front and 3 in the back, pretty sure the jeep 5 seaters won't effect the doe as it is all legit now to have 5 seat commercial jeeps if they meet the load carrying volumetric requirements

I see, so once a vehicle has gained the commercial category & tax it keeps it for the future and regardless of number of seats, seatbelts, etc...

I'm looking at crew cab BMW X5, Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6, Range Rover Vogue/Sport, Nissan Pathfinder. My head tells me anything but the LR/RR, however my heart tells me otherwise.

At least I'm happy to see that I won't pay mad tax every year, otherwise I wouldn't buy any of them.

Thanks again doctorchopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Land Rover, the rest are toys in comparison.

Even when towing!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies again lads!

I'd love the Range Rover 2005 Vogue or HSE 3.0 diesel, I've read that is more roomy than the RR Sport and the BMW engine is more reliable, fingers crossed! I have a few on the wishlist so will see them very soon.

I've just sent an enquiry to AXA explaining the change in my policy to see if I can have a private/social policy kind on a commercial/crew cab vehicle, just double checking before doing anything, I'll post their reply asap.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

The TD6 RR is certaintly more reliable engine wise than the Disco/ Sport (TDV6).

Some say it's underpowered, but no more so than the landcruiser or comparable machines - however much more comfortable and capable.

I would certainly go for the Vogue over the HSE if you could, more comfortable seats, better stereo, Heated Windscreen, Sunroof, more leather. Just a much nicer place to be.

If you need any advice, just message me and I'll give you my number. I have a good understanding of them.

Theanswers wrote: »
    The TD6 RR is certaintly more reliable engine wise than the Disco/ Sport (TDV6).

Some say it's underpowered, but no more so than the landcruiser or comparable machines - however much more comfortable and capable.

I would certainly go for the Vogue over the HSE if you could, more comfortable seats, better stereo, Heated Windscreen, Sunroof, more leather. Just a much nicer place to be.

If you need any advice, just message me and I'll give you my number. I have a good understanding of them.

Wow that would be great!! I'll send you a PM as soon as my insurer comes back to me with the Crew Cab/Business or Particular policy question, so we can know exactly what type of RR are suitable (or even check with Liberty as Doctorchopper said before in this thread!).

Just hope the Gards are ok if they caught me driving with a business tax disc for carry goods in a jeep with my family instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Just hope the Gards are ok if they caught me driving with a business tax disc for carry goods in a jeep with my family instead :)

Iv never had any trouble in that regard, been through loads checkpoints with the family with me and it's never been mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I've never been stopped at any checkpoint for that in more than 7 years.

If I had, I'd just keep a bag of feed, or wire or fence posts in the back.

What I have seen though is Gards waiting outside schools and going to chat to all the lads in jeeps and vans, dropping off their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

Ratsathome wrote: »
    Hi guys any update on this?

did you every get an answer about the Drogheda tax office...

aaakev wrote: »
    Iv never had any trouble in that regard, been through loads checkpoints with the family with me and it's never been mentioned
    I've never been stopped at any checkpoint for that in more than 7 years.

Thanks lads, that makes me feel better. Honestly, I don't want to be an outlaw :)
    Still awaiting confirmation from AXA, hope they're happy to insure myself & my family in a Crew Cab vehicle. Can't wait to get their answer!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

Just a question I didn't notice answered in the thread. If a vehicle is currently taxed privately. But I want to tax it as a crew cab commercial. What is the process?
    Trying to sift through info and with regulation changes it's not easy.
    The vehicle in question would be a pajero sport lwb 5 seater.

From what I can tell it can be done. And even seen a commercial vehicle dealer offering one for sale with or without crew cab conversion. Which to me looks the same as standard.

But I want to know is how I would do it to my own oone.some talk of fitting a partition between the load and passenger areas being or not being needed wasn't conclusive. Some saying a mesh screen is enough. Others saying that's not even needed, only load securing devices. Straps etc. Anyone shed light?

I did it 6 or 7 years ago. I think the problem is not so much the law has changed but that individual tax offices view them differently.

Anyway such as it is, here's what I did.

• Got a Gard to sign the commercial use only declaration.
    • Back to the tax office
    • Lots of humming and hawing by tax office.
    • Talk of removing rear seats by tax office.
    • Finally an inspection by superviser in tax office
    • Completely pointless weighbridge certificate.
    • DOE
    • Tax

At the end of it you feel like you really should be given some sort of trophy or certificate.

All the best. DLTBGYD

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

I did it 6 or 7 years ago. I think the problem is not so much the law has changed but that individual tax offices view them differently.

Anyway such as it is, here's what I did.

• Got a Gard to sign the commercial use only declaration.
    • Back to the tax office
    • Lots of humming and hawing by tax office.
    • Talk of removing rear seats by tax office.
    • Finally an inspection by superviser in tax office
    • Completely pointless weighbridge certificate.
    • DOE
    • Tax

At the end of it you feel like you really should be given some sort of trophy or certificate.

All the best. DLTBGYD

So no need to provide staff details or vat no. Or anything?

Alan b. wrote: »
    So no need to provide staff details or vat no. Or anything?

Not for me no, but whenever I go to the tax office (annually because I never get a feckin PIN) and wait, and wait, there are notices up saying that commercial taxers must provide a Revenue tax assessment showing their commercial tax reference.

The whole thing is an expensive minefield. I'd like to see the whole thing simplified and given to post offices to do, like in UK. Taking the day to go and get car tax is ridiculous and I'd just love to see those tax offices done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pete.23

They're not a problem. taxed my Crewcab there after conversion from M1 to N1. I am a sole trader and there were no questions about employees. I don't think this is even enforceable anyway; why should you rip the seats out your goods vehicle just because you don't have employees??

Dundalk office seem to take a pleasure in making this awkward tho so I'd avoid them

I have searched on the forums but still can't get an answer about this.

I have seen many crew cab jeeps with low tax for sale on Donedeal, however, how does this affect to the insurance? I mean, I don't own a company and I would use the car for private purposes and drive it with my wife and son.

It sounds like my insurer (AXA) would not cover in case of claim, etc... but on the other hand I think is mad to pay €1.294 a year for the tax.

Any advise or first hand testimony would be welcome!
    Thanks a mill.

AXA will still cover you. Best thing is to explain that it's only a change for taxation purposes (ie no physical changes to bodywork). The don't expect you to have a commercial policy unless you have removed seats and made physical mods.

Similarly, Drogheda tax office accept a private policy, provided business use is on it.

I have searched on the forums but still can't get an answer about this.

I have seen many crew cab jeeps with low tax for sale on Donedeal, however, how does this affect to the insurance? I mean, I don't own a company and I would use the car for private purposes and drive it with my wife and son.

It sounds like my insurer (AXA) would not cover in case of claim, etc... but on the other hand I think is mad to pay €1.294 a year for the tax.

Any advise or first hand testimony would be welcome!
    Thanks a mill.

AXA will still cover you. Best thing is to explain that it's only a change for taxation purposes (ie no physical changes to bodywork). The don't expect you to have a commercial policy unless you have removed seats and made physical mods.

Similarly, Drogheda tax office accept a private policy, provided business use is on it.

They're not a problem. taxed my Crewcab there after conversion from M1 to N1. I am a sole trader and there were no questions about employees. I don't think this is even enforceable anyway; why should you rip your goods vehicle just because you don't have employees??

Dundalk office seem to take a pleasure in making this awkward tho so I'd avoid them

• Advertisement
Advertisement