Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and their love of soap watching

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Squ wrote: »
    You dont get photon torpedoes in corrie.

A photon torpedoe is just a lightbulb. ...Just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

A photon torpedoe is just a lightbulb. ...Just sayin'.
    Lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Haven't watched the soaps for about 15 years (school/college). Have absolutely no interest in them, so it's not fair OP to say that 'no woman could watch only one soap'.

I can tell you however (without watching a single episode) that there will be a huge row in EastEnders on Christmas Day, most likely just before dinner is about to start, with someone left holding a turkey wondering what the hell just happened while I was in the kitchen. Someone will slip out for a half hour to go to the Vic for a quick drink yet will be meeting their lover and will be tucked up in bed with them within two minutes while their other half gets the dinner ready, plays with the kids etc. That is the nature of the beast, the story lines never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Haven't watched the soaps for about 15 years (school/college). Have absolutely no interest in them, so it's not fair OP to say that 'no woman could watch only one soap'.

I can tell you however (without watching a single episode) that there will be a huge row in EastEnders on Christmas Day, most likely just before dinner is about to start, with someone left holding a turkey wondering what the hell just happened while I was in the kitchen. Someone will slip out for a half hour to go to the Vic for a quick drink yet will be meeting their lover and will be tucked up in bed with them within two minutes while their other half gets the dinner ready, plays with the kids etc. That is the nature of the beast, the story lines never change.

I was just browsing around the different forums (been in here about an hour now reading through the threads to get a feel for the place), but just to say on this one that my wife would actually almost routinely watch home and away, emmerdale, then corrie, eastenders while she'd record fair city to watch later and then back to tv3 for the second half of corrie!

But I think rainbowtrout you've just given away the Christmas storylines for eastenders and probably corrie too in a nutshell! :D

I don't really watch that much on tv myself any more, not since they now have adverts every ten minutes as opposed to what used to be fifteen minutes, but the odd time when I'm working (I work from home) when my wife will be watching the soaps, I'd sometimes throw an eyeball at the tv, and some of the storylines sometimes do throw up interesting discussions between us about what we might have seen on the soap, though there are times I do have to remind my wife-

IT'S, NOT, REAL!!

to which she will promptly respond by giving me the cold shoulder for the evening! :o

EDIT: Just now I think of it, it does tend to raise an eyebrow among my female friends sometimes that I know the latest goings on in the Kardashian household, or that I'm "keeping up with the latest celebrity trends on XPOSE :o" (God only knows why I'm admitting to that one!), or that I have a freakishly encyclopaedic knowledge of all the soaps! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I was discussing inbreeding in animals with my students the other day and the negative aspects associated with it, amd what i got back in return was 'oh that's like the brother and sister who don't know they are related in Eastenders/Coronation St (don't remember which one) who are going to end up sleeping together on Christmas Day... at least I think that's what they said... to which my reply was ....

Didn't that happen in Emmerdale 10 years ago? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I was discussing inbreeding in animals with my students the other day and the negative aspects associated with it, amd what i got back in return was 'oh that's like the brother and sister who don't know they are related in Eastenders/Coronation St (don't remember which one) who are going to end up sleeping together on Christmas Day... at least I think that's what they said... to which my reply was ....

Didn't that happen in Emmerdale 10 years ago? :D

It also happened in Fair City too as far as I can remember! :pac:

But yeah, Eastenders we'll find out who HAS Kat been seeing behind Alfie's back (for the umpteenth time!), and then there's that storyline with Max's daughter Lauren and Derek's son Joey. They're cousin's though, and before that it was Dennis and Sharon about five years back, but they were half brother and sister...

And now I'm off to find some duct tape for my mouth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Soaps for me are just escapism, its an easy half hour in the day when I don't have to think too much :D

Soaps can be great though, aren't there lots of things that have been brought into the public arena via a storyline in a soap? Domestic violence, gay issues etc.

Advertisement