Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping Concern Direct Debit

Options
13»

Comments

Has anyone else ever noticed how on those Escape to the Country-type programmes on BBC how many of the people work in "the charity sector" while looking for a house for over half a million? The whole thing is a racket at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Here's the interview I'd like to see happening

A We can only pay you €85k and we're a charity.
    Applicant 1: Sorry will stay in private sector so
    Applicant 2: Sorry will stay in private sector so
    Applicant 3: Great/ when can I start??

Applicant 3 is hired.

Eventually enough charities do this to force chief execs pay down to an excellent wage like 85k

145k is a bonkers amount to be paying to any staff member in a charity, the money should be going to the end recipients not some (well meaning) fat cat

You really need to change your way of thinking on this.

Your option above is just not guaranteed to get the best person.

View charities as a business like any other but instead of their profits going to shareholders they go to the people/programs that the charity benefits.

Some charities are massive. Organisations like Concern have thousands of staff all over the world.
    They will face the same issues and problems that any other international organisation does.
    Do you expect this to be run by a chief executive who, despite having a very demanding job will not be paid their market value?

If a more expensive CEO can generate more 'profits' for the charity then more people will benefit from the charity so the extra expense is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Has anyone else ever noticed how on those Escape to the Country-type programmes on BBC how many of the people work in "the charity sector" while looking for a house for over half a million? The whole thing is a racket at this stage.

Wow....that's really a sound and scientific approach.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wow....that's really a sound and scientific approach.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

I worked for Concern for a short time. Not as a chugger, either.

I'd wager that most people haven't a clue about the amount of work it takes to run such a successful international organisation, nor how difficult it's becoming to raise enough money.

The idea that a charity can be run properly through voulnteers and a CEO being paid far below a comparable private sector CEO is ridiculous, you just won't get the best people for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much does a charity have to give to the poor to be called a charity? If memory serves me correctly, it's sweet f**k all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Anyone can set up a charity. Just file the forms at the companies office and hey presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Since I posted I've tried to get in contact with them but I'm having no luck. I've tried e-mail and got no reply. I've tried ringing them up and left a message but again I've got no reply. Anyone know what else I can do? I'm strapped for money so I would like to cancel it as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

the_syco wrote: »
    How much does a charity have to give to the poor to be called a charity? If memory serves me correctly, it's sweet f**k all.

Register as a company- preferrable unlimited without a share capital. Do up an article of association and memorandum. Download application from revenue for charity number, wait for application to be processed and you get a number.

There is no monitoring of money, salaries, bonus, it's all self regulated and charities don't have to show how much money they spend on actually helping people. You will have a good few charities now use pie charts :eek: to show how they spend their money without actually giving real amounts just percentages!!. Then there are the charities that are active in Ireland and most of the money gets out to UK or US where the HQ's are !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

cassid wrote: »
    Register as a company- preferrable unlimited without a share capital. Do up an article of association and memorandum. Download application from revenue for charity number, wait for application to be processed and you get a number.

There is no monitoring of money, salaries, bonus, it's all self regulated and charities don't have to show how much money they spend on actually helping people. You will have a good few charities now use pie charts :eek: to show how they spend their money without actually giving real amounts just percentages!!. Then there are the charities that are active in Ireland and most of the money gets out to UK or US where the HQ's are !!!
    Actually, it isn't this simple and the previous government passed the Charities Act in 2009 and the current Government is looking at how to implement it in 2013/14. This will bring much needed regulation to the sector. And charities themselves want this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Suas11 wrote: »
    Mods can move this to a more suitable forum if it's necessary as I wasn't sure where to post this.

Anyway, I was giving money to Concern though a direct debit and I want to stop it as I won't be able to afford it now as money is a bit tight at the moment. I'm just wondering how do I do this. Do I have to contact the bank or Concern themselves? Any help would be great, thanks.

Go to your local shopping thoroughfare and locate one of Concerns chuggers.
    They should be able to de-register you there on the spot........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Suas11 wrote: »
    Since I posted I've tried to get in contact with them but I'm having no luck. I've tried e-mail and got no reply. I've tried ringing them up and left a message but again I've got no reply. Anyone know what else I can do? I'm strapped for money so I would like to cancel it as soon as I can.

You have to write to your bank cancelling your direct debit (give a/c and dd details) with immediate effect. Either hand in the letter to your local branch or post it off. They won't cancel without written authorisation unless you bounce it three months in a row and you don't want to do that because it will cost you.

Advertisement