Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping Concern Direct Debit

Options
  • 26-11-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭

Mods can move this to a more suitable forum if it's necessary as I wasn't sure where to post this.

Anyway, I was giving money to Concern though a direct debit and I want to stop it as I won't be able to afford it now as money is a bit tight at the moment. I'm just wondering how do I do this. Do I have to contact the bank or Concern themselves? Any help would be great, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Suas11 wrote: »
    Mods can move this to a more suitable forum if it's necessary as I wasn't sure where to post this.

Anyway, I was giving money to Concern though a direct debit and I want to stop it as I won't be able to afford it now as money is a bit tight at the moment. I'm just wondering how do I do this. Do I have to contact the bank or Concern themselves? Any help would be great, thanks.

Contact the Bank or if you have online banking you should be able to stop it there..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You can stop it via online banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

contact your bank. how anyone can donate to a charity that has a director on 100/200K + is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

If you have online banking you can do it yourself. If not ring your bank and they will do it.
    No need to contact Concern as it isn't a service they are providing you so no contract to break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Go to the bank and ask them to place an immediate block on that DD mandate.

Then contact Concern and tell them you are widthdrawing your money to them.

Make a note of the day,time of phonecall and get the persons full name too....just incase.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

When you stop a direct debit,that's when concern get really concerned.Make sure to contact them telling them you don't want to be called everyday.

• Site Banned Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGolfer01

You're not allowed cancel concern direct debits, it's against the rules, read the small print.

contact your bank. how anyone can donate to a charity that has a director on 100/200K + is beyond me

I had both them and also dogstrust on my doorstep the other day...both trying to get me to sign up to a DD scheme.

Told them both that...."charity begins at home"

Concern asked me if I wouldnt think of the young children for a second

I said I am..."my own"......"now good evening to you sir".

You're not allowed cancel concern direct debits, it's against the rules, read the small print.

Let them bring a court case then.:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I don't think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Bodhran

Are you sure it's a Direct Debit? It is more likely to be a Standing Order which you can cancel at any time.

i find that very hard to believe, but if it is true i would just swap banks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

i hear ya but it's a big organisation,what do you suggest a proper salary would be?
    I think you need to forget that it's a charity,it's a very big company and needs someone with very good credentials to run it.
    that said, i give them feck all

i hear ya but it's a big organisation,what do you suggest a proper salary would be?
    I think you need to forget that it's a charity,it's a very big company and needs someone with very good credentials to run it.

maybe they should be registered as a corporation and not a charity then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

maybe they should be registered as a corporation and not a charity then?
    maybe not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, it's direct debit and I was told I could stop it at any time.

some info on salaries of all charities here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Yup this is the usual argument about 'Charity' CEO's. Goes along the lines of they're professional people running a large organization so they need to be paid top rates.

Ok, but I wouldn't blindly hand over money to other professional people believing it'll actually end up in the hands of the needy. Im not gonna turn around to a banker or a lawyer and say here's oodles of money, Im just gonna turn my back now and you're going to give it the poor.

There is essentially no regulation of charity in this country and yet some of them take in 20-30 million a year. Until there is and I can see full accountability, then not a penny from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yeah, it's direct debit and I was told I could stop it at any time.

Just contact them. I cancelled my one with one phone call. Easy Peasy.

Did you try to do it already and had an issue or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Whispered wrote: »
    Just contact them. I cancelled my one with one phone call. Easy Peasy.

Did you try to do it already and had an issue or something?

No, I haven't tried it yet. I'll probably give them a call tomorrow to see if they can cancel it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mother Teresa ran a big organisation too, she wasn't on over €100k though. I feel €50k is more than enough, if it's a career you are after for pure financial gain seek employement somewhere else.

Mother Teresa ran a big organisation too, she wasn't on over €100k though. I feel €50k is more than enough, if it's a career you are after for pure financial gain seek employement somewhere else.

or minimum wage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

some info on salaries of all charities here
    Sickening that is. Worse than politicians. Justin Kilcullen, John O'Shea and Fergus Finlay.

Sickening that is. Worse than politicians. Justin Kilcullen, John O'Shea and Fergus Finlay.

One of the worst offenders here.

http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056220862

Salary estimated at 400k from rehab.
    Getting paid about 250k over 3/4 years to sit on various quango boards.
    Husband has a company selling coffins from China to the Rehab, ffs.

finlay was in the news recently apparently looking for more money off the government while at the same time calling for a reduction in the childrens allowance

finlay was in the news recently apparently looking for more money off the government while at the same time calling for a reduction in the childrens allowance

This shower are as bad as any of the bankers, politicians, developers etc in my book.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

any idea what the head of cari gets a year ?

This shower are as bad as any of the bankers, politicians, developers etc in my book.

no regulation on charities here.

there is a thread where someone is asking how to make money quickly, i say set up a charity

pontia wrote: »
    any idea what the head of cari gets a year ?

You'll find it hard to get exact info on what the head of any charity gets. Because they're private companies they don't have to publish full accounts. Aside from what they might be hiding in expenses, benefits, bonuses, pensions there's also the fact they could have family members benefiting from doing business with the company ala Rehab.

• Advertisement

If I'm correct, what you have is a standing order as opposed to a direct debit. Standing orders always take out the same amount of money constantly, with no chance whatsoever. Direct debits are for varying amounts, like with bills. Of course, that could be completely wrong.

You can go in and cancel it in the bank. They will ask you to ring them as a courtesy, but that's entirely your own decision.

Advertisement