Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you fear death?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

It's not death per-se that bothers me but the decline. If your brain is still sharp but your body is breaking down all around you. Like if you'd been an active person all your life and now you need help just to to get to the friggin bathroom. I'd find that hard to bare.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

If your brain is still sharp as the only muscle really working, and the body becomes frail thoughts can become acute and we must get some brawn in and try restore a balance.

Fight death, to the death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Its natural to fear death as one get older just these days the options for dying are getting more limited as everyone opts for the nursing home or hospital.

Personally I wanted to go down fighting like a Roman gladiator battling to the death in a huge arena like the Colosseum.

The swishing of my blade, the warm sweet drizzle of blood pouring from my wounds, the power of the big cats and the rumbling of the chariots and elephants

...all to the sounds of the clapping roaring audience, as I close my eyes drawing my breath for the last time knowing that I would crowned with honour and glory for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A sudden death I imagine is a blessing. A prolonged death by a horrible disease like cancer seems so cruel to a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yes and no.

Yes in that I don't want to die, ever.

No in that everyone dies, I'll be dead.. I won't be around to be scared or notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭brenn7475

Well worth a watch people BBC Documentary "Today I died" Near-Death Experiences. It's up to you whatever you think after watching. But a very interesting documentary Peoples own personal experiences/ And scientific Research. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Ub2xx0KQ0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The way I look at it, by the time you're dead you won't care. With all the hype for 22nd of December, I thought about it for a minute, and honestly can say I dont fear it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

i hate thinking about it.

id love to live for ever.

I really hope theres a cool new world to go to!

Thatd be sweet!

I had a dream I died before, jumped off a building. Wasnt pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

I fear the time between imminent death becoming inevitable and death actually occurring...

That scares me a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

books4sale wrote: »
    I would crowned with honour and glory for eternity.

I doubt anyone could name one real life Roman gladiator from times past... so much for honour and glory for eternity! :pac:

I'm looking forward to it and I hope there isn't an afterlife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I doubt anyone could name one real life Roman gladiator from times past... so much for honour and glory for eternity! :pac:

Couldnt agree more,see you in Valhalla:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

You mean Maximus wasn't really a gladiator!!! :eek:

Damn you hollywood, you lied to me again!

On the brightside, i suppose i have something to post in this thread now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Polumbus of Epheaseus.

Died in his last fight. Or what was supposed to be his last fight before earning freedom but just ended up being his last fight. Had a family. Can't remember much more about him.

More are known to historians.

Though if you really want to be known... it's always easier to be infamous than famous.

The whole concept of herostratic fame is named after a greek lunatic who burned down a temple solely to make the history books. In this case, damnatio memoriae seems to have failed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I have never feared death and I still don't. When I was a teenager, I liked to experiment on myself a lot. One of these experiments resulted in an NDE-or something close anyway. I will never be sure what it was exactly. To cut a long story short, in my supposed-to-be-dying state, I felt myself being sucked up what felt like a vacuum cleaner and when I reached the top of the tube/pipe/whatever-it-was, I heard a voice say, 'go back.' And I woke up and threw up the most vile stuff for three days straight.

I am not sure of the existence of a superior being or not but that experience seriously freaked me out. And now I am just afraid of the possibility of an after life. Isn't this life enough?

Huh. I just realised that this means that I fear death. Sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Death? Maybe 29 years ago I would have cared. The game was tougher then. But now games have respawns!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Not really, as i'd be going to a better place after I leave this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

branie wrote: »

Wow,do you know something that i dont;)Just wondered:D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

No, I fear an ongoing pain for myself and my family while i wait to die.

Not that this is happening; what I want is a quick death whenever it may happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Don't fear it at all, what will be will be ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I was halfway through an answer to this, but what I typed made me realise that I really need to repair one friendship, so I'm going to give that a go instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Columbia wrote: »
    I was halfway through an answer to this, but what I typed made me realise that I really need to repair one friendship, so I'm going to give that a go instead :)
    Cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

branie wrote: »
    Living in offaly eh. Can't say I blame you.

Don't really fear death, it's the dying bit that scares me. As in dying slowly. I'd rather kack it in a hail of bullets, or a heart attack, or a juggernaut creaming the car.

Getting ill and slowly wasting, now that's scary. Or getting burnt or badly injured and slowly shuffling off in agony. My old lad had a NDE and said it was the most pleasurable experience of his life and erased all fear of death he ever had.

I've killed an awful lot of sick and injured animals(cattle/horses) for people, never blinked as I hate seeing suffering. I'd rather the same approach was taken with me, just get it over with. I'd probably not be the best person to be with in a battle/fight etc if you got injured, cos I'd just shoot you to put you out of your misery. But I'd expect the same for me, if that makes sense. That freaks out a lot of people who know me, but I'm just a fatalist, when you're done, you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I have never feared death and I still don't. When I was a teenager, I liked to experiment on myself a lot. One of these experiments resulted in an NDE-or something close anyway. I will never be sure what it was exactly. To cut a long story short, in my supposed-to-be-dying state, I felt myself being sucked up what felt like a vacuum cleaner and when I reached the top of the tube/pipe/whatever-it-was, I heard a voice say, 'go back.' And I woke up and threw up the most vile stuff for three days straight.

I am not sure of the existence of a superior being or not but that experience seriously freaked me out. And now I am just afraid of the possibility of an after life. Isn't this life enough?

Huh. I just realised that this means that I fear death. Sort of.

When you say you liked to experiment?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Another 17 years and you'll find your equilibrium:D It's a bitch alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

The lament for Brendan Behan

Sad solemn notes and crates of newly drawn stout,
    the usual symptoms when a life goes out.
    But the extinction this time being 7 times the most.
    The music held no echo and the tears drowned our toast.
    Sorrow and bereavement, life has no meaning now, silence is master.
    Laughter and song bowed for gone went our great captain to some more hospitable inn
    where cant and hypocrisy can no longer embarrass him.

This, along with a few more things make me feel somewhat better about dying. No idea why but it just does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I'm terrified of dying and having wasted my life, but I don't really know what that means because tbh I'm fairly happy doing **** all day in day out.

Spent quite a bit of time in hospital for a week recently with my dying grandfather, and seeing him and some of the other patients really made me think that I'm just scared of growing old more than anything. I'm sure you gain a greater appreciation of life as you get older but I'd hate having to rely on others to do so much for me. I could see the same with my grandfather and how much it hurt his pride especially in his last week where he could do pretty much nothing for himself anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

When I was a young lad I remember being quite smug about my newfound atheism. Willing to ejaculate my beliefs on anything that blessed itself. Until my flatmate at the time and I got drunk one night and the discussion disastrously turned to religion instead of sex, flatmate was a she I might add.

Anyway, I was primed and ready for her silly notions of a heaven. Had my massive arsenal of atheist dribble aimed squarely at her face ready to fire. Then she said she believed in a heaven because she wanted to, as it was comforting to think she'd see loved ones again. She said this with a tear in her eye :(, so I banged her back door in instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Hippies! wrote: »
    When I was a young lad I remember being quite smug about my newfound atheism. Willing to ejaculate my beliefs on anything that blessed itself. Until my flatmate at the time and I got drunk one night and the discussion disastrously turned to religion instead of sex, flatmate was a she I might add.

Anyway, I was primed and ready for her silly notions of a heaven. Had my massive arsenal of atheist dribble aimed squarely at her face ready to fire. Then she said she believed in a heaven because she wanted to, as it was comforting to think she'd see loved ones again. She said this with a tear in her eye :(, so I banged her back door in instead :)
    You took advantage of someone who was emotionally unstable :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

You took advantage of someone who was emotionally unstable :eek:

Yep? Chicks cry all the time :)

When I'm around :L

Advertisement