Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you fear death?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I think I used to.
    I'm sure I did. But I don't really think I do anymore.
    As a child I believed in God and the ironic thing was that is what for whatever reason added to my fear. It logistically makes no sense as I would have believed I'd live forever. Perhaps I never really believed it though.

I wouldn't say I don't believe in a higher power, all I can say is I don't know. And being quite frank don't really care. Surely the creator is not going to be angry at me for only believing what I can see in front of me. And if there's nothing after death, well I won't know about it so who cares.

After recently hearing of another person taking their own life, I thought to myself, why? Why end it all with the prospect of nothing afterwards. But then I saw the bigger picture and obviously sometimes things can get so bad that the thought of never having to wake for another day can be so comforting.

I think of all the people who were close to me who have died over the years and the thoughts of never seeing them again are beyond sadness, but having the privilege of knowing them in the first place puts things back in to prospective. It's just disappointing to imagine gone as gone. There's not much more comforting than imaging that some day you might once again meet these people who have passed away.

Thinking about death and how it could be just around the corner is something that does scare me however. The timing of it. There are a lot of things I'd like to have put in order so to speak if I was to die tomorrow.
    It's strange to think about people who have suddenly died and had no idea the day before. I know many suicidal people go through something similar after they've decided that they're going to take their own life. One of the most uncomfortable things I've heard is of a friend close to my sister who took his own life, hearing afterwards all the strange behavior. Meeting up with people he hadn't seen in a long time, it all seems so blatant from this perspective, but clearly it never it.

Anyway, do you fear death? Or what about the unpredictability of it's timing as I do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Davy Jones once asked me the same question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I do not fear death whatsoever, infant I feel very comfortable with the idea that I could die tomorrow, in 10 years or however long, it really doesn't bother me at all.

As painful as suicide is I think it is nice that people get the chance to tie up loose ends, to say goodbye, to write a letter, etc. to me that's closure, of course for the people left behind there could be a hundred letters and they would still be angry, distraught and confused.

So as I don't mind when I go the timing doesn't bother me, none of us know how little or much we have left, but would you really want to know? I don't think I would.

Like you I don't believe in God, I also don't believe in a afterlife, it has made my life much better, death seems much less morbid now, it is my atheism that has helped me become so comfortable with the concept of the death, where as when I was a child and believed the whole thing was very frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Not believing in religious nonsense makes the whole thing easier to accept, for me personally. I don't fear death because I think it's irrational to fear the inevitable. I do fear being killed though, I don't want my life taken away by another or in some freak accident. I think about that stuff a lot because it happens to people every day all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

I don't fear it.

I welcome it.

Hopefully many years in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

My only fear of death is reincarnation Bustin at my adversaries like a mental patient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

As long as it's quick and fast that will do me or not wake up from going to bed would be another nice way to go,as long as it's about 40 odd years away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

When I was younger I did. Or at the very least, the idea of dying seemed really sad. There was an entire world of possibility out there, and dying meant not being able to experience it all.

As I get older though....meh. I start to care less and less. Most of the world is filled a people who are a combination of mean and/or stupid. I find there isn't nearly the amount of variety I was lead to believe. Things I've never done before are almost predictable, they're just like this other thing I did or saw years ago. When you are a teenager and you get caught up in a fashion trend, you think it's the COOLEST THING EVER. After you've had a few decades of some kid doing something stupid, then watching everyone else do it too - it seems so irrelevant. And, if you watch closely enough, you'll notice that the fashions aren't even original, it's just a cycle of things that have already been done.

I used to love going to the movies. Now, meh, all movies do anymore is remind me of movies I saw or books I read. 'Oh - that's just West-side-story, but in space, which was just a knock off of a Shakespeare story, which was just some stolen Greek story (which was probably stolen).

That's just a specific example, I don't live for movies. It's just you reach a point where nothing really feels new anymore. It's comforting, in a way, but also tiring.

I was never much for material possessions. I don't dream of watching my pension fund grow or cashing it out and buying an X or a Y. During my life I've been forced to live a relatively poor lifestyle, but found it suites me well. I'm content with never owning another car, as an example. I don't need a house because I've got nothing to put inside of it.

If I make it another decade, I think I'll be ready to die, content that I've had a good life.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Once I get to say goodbye to everyone. Tell everyone I love them, give them a hug and come up with some witty last line, Ill be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

It does now that I Have a child.
    But my own death does not scare me as much as my loved ones deaths!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Death itself, no, not really.
    I actually used to look forward to it, the peace of non-existence has its appeal.
    These days, I figure I can wait a bit longer for it though.
    Dying on the other hand, especially if slow and painful, I do fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

UCDVet wrote: »
    I used to love going to the movies.

did you pay for two seats? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I dont fear death at all, Im starting to think im not making the most of my life though, and at the end will I regret not having done more - need to book that skydive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

"Death be not proud, though some have called thee mighty and powerfull, thou art not so".... I forget the rest. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

I have sleepless nights from time-to-time coz I'm so scared of it.
    Not religious too, but I don't think that's the reason.
    I like living, I just don't want to die. Too many things to do and see and experience. I fell like I'm constantly running out of time.

did you pay for two seats? :pac:

Nah - but I would avoid opening night/sold out shows as a general rule.

Of course, the movie theaters never sell more tickets than they have seats, and each seat is separated by arm-rests. If they had 'bench seating' and routinely exceeded the printed 'Maximum Capacity' numbers - I might have felt the need to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I think its the timing that worries me most.. Two young kids and I really want to be around for them and the missus down the line.. I much more fear leaving them early than death itself..
    Particularly as I'm just into my 40's and the heart has started playing up, having a family history of early death from heart related things I'm doing everything I can to stay healthy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Funnily enough OP I feared death more as an agnostic than I do as a Christian. I don't really fear the concept anymore. I have no reason to if I believe what Jesus said. Whenever the time comes it will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Your punishment must be more severe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

philologos wrote: »
    Funnily enough OP I feared death more as an agnostic than I do as a Christian. I don't really fear the concept anymore. I have no reason to if I believe what Jesus said. Whenever the time comes it will come.

What reason do you have to believe what jesus said and not say allah?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MUSEIST wrote: »

cos all other religions are wrong, duh.

No I dont fear death, as long as it was painless and someone wipes my hard drive it'll be grand.

• Advertisement

So many religions - so few lives....

Personally, I think Shintoism gonna be the one true religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Dont fear death at all, sounds peaceful if anything but I greatly fear the suffering part. The thought of having a heart attack terrifies me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I've just come through a tussle with Big C and, during complications after surgery, the possibility of not making it loomed large for a few days. The initial diagnosis was a shock but was even more a huge inconvenience! "But I can't die yet - I've too much stuff to do! Let's get the surgery done and dusted." The fear of death centred more on the things I hadn't done, the letting people down, etc.
    I believe there was a Jewish guy, about 2,000 years ago, of uncertain parentage, roamed around in sandals, was keen on carpentry and fishing, talked a whole lot of sense and became quite well known. I'd really like to meet him.........have a chat.........some day...........when I'm ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

As with many others I do not fear death itself at all. I certainly am enjoying life at present and am in no rush to have it end and will do my best to prolong it at this time. But death itself holds very little concern for me.

The PROCESS of dying however and how I might end up meeting mine... now that is worth being worried about. I am not great with Pain. And I have to be doubly worried about living in a religious society which quite often does it's best to ensure you can not end your own life early when the pain becomes too much.

Perhaps I need to take even more steps than I already have to ensure that if I need to painlessly end my own life at any stage that I can do so without any fanatics trying their damndest to stop me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Look at the other thread about Jesus in AH. I've explained why I can trust the accounts concerning Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

antodeco wrote: »
    Once I get to say goodbye to everyone. Tell everyone I love them, give them a hug and come up with some witty last line, Ill be happy

Do it and say it now. Faith could take you any day and there's no time like the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As with many others I do not fear death itself at all. I certainly am enjoying life at present and am in no rush to have it end and will do my best to prolong it at this time. But death itself holds very little concern for me.

The PROCESS of dying however and how I might end up meeting mine... now that is worth being worried about. I am not great with Pain. And I have to be doubly worried about living in a religious society which quite often does it's best to ensure you can not end your own life early when the pain becomes too much.

Perhaps I need to take even more steps than I already have to ensure that if I need to painlessly end my own life at any stage that I can do so without any fanatics trying their damndest to stop me.

Dying painfully and slowly concerns me far more than actual death itself. We live in a society where its considered more humane to let people suffer than to end their lives on their own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

What is this 'fear' you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'd rather die rather young-ish 40-50 than die elderly alone in a home. Seems more dignified to go at that stage than living as a shadow of your former self, needing help to do basic things like going to the toilet.
    My catholic upbringing led to a lot of childhood nightmares about going to hell. Since becoming atheist I've understood the concept of death for what it is and have a clearer understanding that its all part of natures cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

What is this 'fear' you speak of?

It is the mind killer. The little death that brings total obliteration.

Advertisement