Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

selling my sister in laws freelander 2 (commercial ) . well cared for and well maintained.

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/2010-freelander-2/18478315

thanks for looking

brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

does anyone know a good mermory card for a nextbase?
    looking for a 64gb to 128gb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The battery in my Nextbase is now dead so when the engine is off on traffic it won't record anything, of course no parking mode either. I really need to hardwire it in but I don't want to pay Halfords to do it nor do I want to get some cheap DIY kit to wire up myself, is there a simple plug and play solution? Also is it safe to use with a deep cell battery for start-stop engines?
    Mr Snow wrote: »
    does anyone know a good mermory card for a nextbase?
    looking for a 64gb to 128gb

SanDisk Ultra 64GB does the job, can get one new from Amazon marketplace for about €20 vs €39 in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Selling my A6 2.0 Tfsi (170bhp) S-Line

Full service history, including timing belt change at 100k miles.
    Current mileage 125k miles.
    Taxed Jan 2019.
    NCT 05/18, booked in for test next week.

http://www.adverts.ie/15193442

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Laviski

anyone got a Vantrue N2 Pro Dual Dash Cam? that can provide their opinions on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Laviski wrote: »
    anyone got a Vantrue N2 Pro Dual Dash Cam? that can provide their opinions on.

I got one and love it

Clear video Records both outside in inside the car.

I will get mine hardwired so I can use Park mode

Mine arrived a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The battery in my Nextbase is now dead so when the engine is off on traffic it won't record anything, of course no parking mode either. I really need to hardwire it in but I don't want to pay Halfords to do it nor do I want to get some cheap DIY kit to wire up myself, is there a simple plug and play solution? Also is it safe to use with a deep cell battery for start-stop engines?

Dunno if this is of any help to you but it is the way I wired my cam and there may be something in there of use.

My cig socket is always live and the ashtray/lighter have a cover which is always closed. I first thought about finding a + that was only live with ignition but I went with the cig socket (+) and a separate switch. The switch is a toggle type with a LED on the tip of the toggle which lights when on.(other less 'in your face' switches are available)

There are pros and cons. The main con is that I need to knock it on and off.I can live with that.
    The main pro is that should I need to keep recording while away from the car, I can.

It's a neat job with the cig-USB adaptor taking power from the cig feed and fitted in the centre console.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

Here’s my Mk5 GTI, running 320bhp with many supporting mods.

All details in the ad. PM for more info if you wish.

Link - http://www.adverts.ie/15187916

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

07 Lexus IS250 manual

https://www.adverts.ie/car/lexus/is/2007-lexus-is250-manual/15228324?notification=9f94a5835754d79efbdbc8e47b0ff94d-1523896922

Selling as my annual mileage has gone from 5k to 20k and I need something a bit more economical.

Has been very well looked after during the 2 years I have had it and is running perfectly. Just serviced, NCT till 01/19 and tax till June. 171km

Any questions, fire away.

NDQ3ZDFhNTJhMTc0MzFiNTRmYjc3Y2VmNWE1ZDc4MjTvh-pYp6FSqGyBVgMzC7piaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMjlhMDEwMWM0M2Q3NDRmZDE2YTY1MTY5ODEzOWU2ZGY0ZWUzMzUyMzgzZjEzZWI1ZjA5NmE5YTRkZDE0MWM4Yi5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

inforfun wrote: »
    Bit of a pita to change settings as it is stuck behind my rear view mirror and i think i fecked up the holder already. Cant get is out of it anymore :D

Download the app and connect your phone to it via wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Are you assuming my phone OS????

:D

I have windows phone so: no app for me!!

Somehow managed to get the clip working again so can take it out of its holder.

Pic and video quality

That is when set to 1920x1080 30fps resulting in 3 minute clips of 330 mb
    Had it a week on 60fps or on the 2304xwhatever but my good old pc at home couldnt really handle that when editing. Resulting files were almost 450 mb for 3 mins.
    So 1920x1080 30fps it is.

And a screenshot of that white Golf that flew by

https://gyazo.com/7bdedd32dcd1f4991b25c434bbd22886

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

Windows phone? Well you're a dedicated user at this stage!

Anyway, in case the worst happens and you need to show footage to the cops on the spot, grab a cheapo android phone, download the app and leave it in the car. No need for a SIM card even. Just leave a charging cable there too as the battery will go flat after a few weeks.

sadly having to sell my saab 9-3 link thanks for looking too many cars not enough money ;-C
    brendan

Mod note - sold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Nextbase 112 @€;55 in crapfords still worth it? I'm looking to get something asap like tomorrow. It's 720p resolution and probably more then adequate for the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I don't see why not, it gives descent enough playback quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1l1ZxCe9ro
    OR the one mentioned above, definetely better if you don't mind waiting for the posty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nextbase 112 @€;55 in crapfords still worth it? I'm looking to get something asap like tomorrow. It's 720p resolution and probably more then adequate for the price?

I got one for my mothers car and I was shocked at how bad the quality is.

Yes, it works as a dash cam, and will do what it needs to, but you'll get similar quality picture from a €15 cam, so it's massively overpriced for the quality.

Spend €10-€15 less and get a Yi, they are excellent quality.

bazz26 wrote: »

Bought this just now! Thanks boyo

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

Just got the Yi dashcam and went to put it up there, and not sure where's best to position it. There's a plastic casing around my rearview mirror, which means I have to place the camera to one side of it. Would it be better closer to driver side or passenger side? Thanks.

Just try a couple of positions with the cam stuck on the windscreen with sticky tape and see what works best?
    Assuming you didnt order a holder with suction cup with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

inforfun wrote: »
    Assuming you didnt order a holder with suction cup with it.

I did, sorry I should have said. I've put it up in a couple of places, but it sticks out like a sore thumb no matter where I've tried it! Are there any laws here about where it can be positioned? I tried googling, and it seems like there are laws in the UK, but I couldn't find anything about here.

Should be laws but then again, we also are forced to drive around with Saturday edition of a newspaper behind the windscreen in 2018.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

162 30kw Nissan Leaf
    20,000kms, serviced, taxed
    Everything PWO, as new
    Priced for quick sale to avoid trade in

https://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/leaf/2016-nissan-leaf/15299355

MjlhZmE3ZjhlZTZhMWI5NTQzNjhhODBkYzM1ZTVlZjHOCzisy3mPBtRiU48QhKlGaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNDc0MGExOWU2NjhiNmQ4MWI4NzRjMjBkNjcwNDFlMjhiZjM4ZWYwN2EyMmYzNDQzM2M0ZjJjYjU5NGEwNzc5Zi5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

downsizing downsizing :-C. Now I have to let the family Lexus IS200 go here's the link

thanks for looking

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dermo2014

Mazda 6 sport 2007 1.8 petrol 181,000 kms

https://www.adverts.ie/car/mazda/6/2007-mazda-6-petrol/15250662

I got a Yi dashcam fom Amazon today. Works great but can I charge it from a phone charger or from the computer USB port or will it blow up? I want to power it up inside the house here to have a play around with it and connect it to the phone app without having to sit in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I got a Yi dashcam fom Amazon today. Works great but can I charge it from a phone charger or from the computer USB port or will it blow up? I want to power it up inside the house here to have a play around with it and connect it to the phone app without having to sit in the car.

Is this the one you got?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Screen-Emergency-Recording-Detection/dp/B0774NYK53/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525121816&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=yi+cam&psc=1

• Advertisement

Is it a good idea to disconnect the camera and take it with you or leave in car? I think it's gonna be pain carrying it around all the time. They are cheap but are they targets for thieves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement