Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed the Beast Discussion

Options
  • 22-11-2012 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

I though I'd start this off so we could discuss our opinions and experiences with the new modpack.

I've played it for a few hours myself and it's enjoyable so far. Sphax doesn't work right with it so that's a bit of a pain. I've been using soarex but it's incomplete. And there are so many new ores they all start to look alike. Half the time I don't know what I'm mining.

There's also a lot of mods technic had that I will miss in single player. The Timber mod and Somnia mod especially, not to mention Mo Creatures. On the plus side, thaumcraft, forestry and portal gun will be great. The thing about technic is, I could add all those extra mods myself and play away. I won't be able to do that with FTB as it will mean I can't play on multiplayer servers.

The lack of bukkit support for plugins will be a big problem for servers too. All those convenience and anti-grief plugins gone. I asked about it on the forums and they suggested to whitelist the server. What kind of stupid suggestion is that to prevent griefing? Hopefully they will come up with some built in settings to help with server management but I somehow doubt it.

On the plus side MC 1.4 brings the ability to open a game to LAN. A very useful and enjoyable mode. Looking forward to trying that one out.

So those are my views so far.

PS: Does anyone know where all the new ores are from? I know appetite is from forestry but what about bauxite and lead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Isnt bukkit support coming? This is early stages that were seeing from FTB, not all the mods are even included yet. Lead is from either factorisation or thermal expansion, watch direwolf20's videos on YT if you want to see each of the mods in action running on a server

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I won't touch the beta with a bargepole.

GregTech enabled + no EE = no IndustrialCraft unless you're bobage/buttany/deconduo
    No EE3
    No RedPower
    No ThaumCraft
    No Bukkit
    Some other tiny support mods missing, but that's only a minor niggle

So.... what's left? Vanilla Minecraft 1.4... with Forestry Mod! So, basically, it looks like for all regular players its just Forestry and that's it. Unless you're a server god there's no IndustrialCraft without EE abuse because of GregTech, and tbh having Hardmode mods enabled whose only purpose is to deny other popular mods to all but the top 3% of the server is garbage and just kills it for me and regular players - after all, there isn't exactly a wealth of other things IN FtB just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

i'm with sol on this, i love the fact all the modders are working together to ensure there mods play nice, the potential for FTB is huge. But its just not ready yet.

I know RP and EE3 will be added shortly but one thing that bothers me is how can server admins prevent griefing or inspect break-ins. I'm not going to play properly on a server if my items can be stolen and my place destroyed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Kenno90 wrote: »
    i'm with sol on this, i love the fact all the modders are working together to ensure there mods play nice, the potential for FTB is huge. But its just not ready yet.

I know RP and EE3 will be added shortly but one thing that bothers me is how can server admins prevent griefing or inspect break-ins. I'm not going to play properly on a server if my items can be stolen and my place destroyed.

So far the boards FTB server is going pretty well. Most of the chests are communal and there hasn't been any problems with people taking too much. You also can use Personal Safes for any valuables.

If you really want to be safe just make a mystcraft age for yourself and hide the linking book to it. You can also set up forcefields once you have a decent setup going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

My understanding is that bukkit support will not be available for the new Tekkit either.

Just discovered that Technic has updated to MC 1.4.2. Will be trying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Solitaire wrote: »
    I won't touch the beta with a bargepole.

GregTech enabled + no EE = no IndustrialCraft unless you're bobage/buttany/deconduo
    No EE3
    No RedPower
    No ThaumCraft
    No Bukkit
    Some other tiny support mods missing, but that's only a minor niggle

So.... what's left? Vanilla Minecraft 1.4... with Forestry Mod! So, basically, it looks like for all regular players its just Forestry and that's it. Unless you're a server god there's no IndustrialCraft without EE abuse because of GregTech, and tbh having Hardmode mods enabled whose only purpose is to deny other popular mods to all but the top 3% of the server is garbage and just kills it for me and regular players - after all, there isn't exactly a wealth of other things IN FtB just yet.

Well.. no.

You have factorization, Railcraft, Steve's carts, forestry, Computer craft and thermal expansion as alternate starting points.

Anyways... Just seen that a new modpack was added to the ftb launcher titled Universal Electricity Pack... Anyone had a go on it yet? Never heard of half the mods included in it!

Edit: ICBM's cnc!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rin

I was very disapointed with the lack of RedPower in FTB as it was the mod I was most looking forward to. Apparently this will be launch soon but that means starting again because of world regen.

I've played Tekkit, and enjoyed it, but to be honest I'd prefer to play a modpack where the people who actually make the mods have given it their blessing. I've nothing against Tekkit or anybody who plays it but I watch Direwolf20's youtube stuff, most of his 1.2.5 series and the latest server stuff, and most of what the Mindcrack guys are doing with FTB so I'm happy to wait until it all gets done.

I will start a new world when Direwolf20 puts out series five of his let's play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Couldn't you just create a mystcraft age for RP ores when it is released?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭natnif36

But can mystcraft worlds generate volcanoes? It seems like the kind of thing requiring a symbol, and I don't think there is one. Perhaps one will be added?

Originally, MystCraft worlds were going to have RedPower terrain features in but the way that Marble Caves (and possibly volcanoes) were generated was horrendously optimised and caused huge WorldGen lag, the more complex the geometry *cough*caveworld*cough*skylands*cough* the exponentially worse the issue became. AFAIK most RP stuff was cut from MystCraft but this was based on the second versions of each mod, things may have changed by the time RP3 hits FtB (as FtB has the third major version of MystCraft)

• Advertisement

Disappointed to find that Mo Creatures will not be added as the Mod developer will not allow it.

Mo Creatures pissed me well off in Technic. At least FTB asked, and you can always install it yourself

MagicSean wrote: »
    Disappointed to find that Mo Creatures will not be added as the Mod developer will not allow it.

I haz a sad :(

Honestly- I don't find ogres coming out and destroying your town very appealing-at least creepers can only break things once! Image a mod that can spawn in the overwolrd that plows through blocks !
    Well there is the wither, but you make it like a golum almost, so it kinda doesn't count...

natnif36 wrote: »
    Honestly- I don't find ogres coming out and destroying your town very appealing-at least creepers can only break things once!

Yeah but Mo' Creatures settings can be tweaked or disabled easily by the server admin; all you have to do to get rid of ogres is press a button. Most of the other things in the mod were great, it was only really the ogres that were completely OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Yeah but Mo' Creatures settings can be tweaked or disabled easily by the server admin; all you have to do to get rid of ogres is press a button. Most of the other things in the mod were great, it was only really the ogres that were completely OP

There is not much point even talking about it , if the modder doesn't want it in then it wont get added.

I need to jump ship to FTB, I know tekkit hasn't got a future anymore

Are you sure you want to jump ship? And say so on the thread started by the owner of the server you are an admin on?

Or perhaps you were discretely trying to tell Sean to do a complete change and swap the server for a ftb one?
    Perhaps when rp is added-mainly for marble and basalt, which seem to pretty much be the only thing anyone on the server builds with?
    RC doesn't overflow and bc has diamond pipes for sorting-most of what redpower can do is already covered. It is a LOT more compact to use rp than RC though...

There's also funny things like sub-blocks, frames and compact redstone logic that many of us can't live without. I really want ThaumCraft in FtB but its the inclusion of RedPower that'll elevate it from "public beta" to "release candidate" in my eyes...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

There's also funny things like sub-blocks, frames and compact redstone logic that many of us can't live without. I really want ThaumCraft in FtB but its the inclusion of RedPower that'll elevate it from "public beta" to "release candidate" in my eyes...

Yeah I don't actually care about EE at all, I think it just makes the game easier without adding anything of substance. However pretty much everything single thing implemented by RP2 is a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Looking forward to hearing some details on EE3. It is supposed to be like a brand new mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jos eph

Looking forward to hearing some details on EE3. It is supposed to be like a brand new mod.

There is a changelog i was reading somewhere, and the only things it carries over is the philosophers stone, transmutation (but with symbols on the ground i think, not sure how it will work) and emc, but emc has been completely changed, so yea, EE3 is almost a brand new mod. :(

It'll be better I think. You got resources way too easily with the condenser. Now with all the stuff like new quarries, frame quarries, a ton of machines that can dupe or triple your resources, it gives people an actual challenge and a chance to use them, rather than going straight for the condenser at the start..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rin

Couldn't you just create a mystcraft age for RP ores when it is released?

When I wrote that I hadn't as yet created a stable age. But since then I have two. One for straight mining and another for crystal, glowstone and obsidian.

Also since then I built a nuclear reactor in my basement which in hindsight was probably not the best place for it as it blew up taking most of my processing systems with it.

Thankfully my portal area didn't get hit, so I still have access to my quarry, but at the moment I don't even have a furnace ;)

The Direwolf20 mod pack is now online with RP2 and its running 1.4.6!

Also, Pahimar just released prerelease 1 of EE3! FTB (and tekkit) should be updated very soon

Hasn't EE3 pr1 been out for ages? And doesn't it only have the minium stone?
    Some other stuff in NEI, but they do nothing?

Apparently it was just released there... also EE3 has much more than just that. Its was way too cheaty beforehand!

I've been playing Mindcrack which has RP2 and most mods. I think it's only EE3 they are waiting to implement now. Are there any resources or ores generated in EE does anyone know?

There wasn't in EE2, so I'm assuming EE3 won't be any different

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Apparently it was just released there... also EE3 has much more than just that. Its was way too cheaty beforehand!

Much more? Like what?

Advertisement