Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor's Surgery

Options
  • 22-11-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭

Was in a doctor's surgery recently with a minor ailment. There were about 7 people ahead of me when i went in and about 3 ahead of me when the following happened.

Basically this woman came in with 2 babies and was taking to another woman who was next in line. The receptionist came in and called the woman who instead allowed the woman who had just come in, in to the doctor before her - presumably because she had 1/2 babies who were sick. I was already in the surgery close to 2 hours waiting and couldn't really believe this - i mean i'm not heartless, if the babies were really sick that would be fine, but surely they'd be going to a hospital then? The woman with the babies asked the room if that was ok and nobody said anything but i think everyone was thinking the same thing - no it's not ok.

I think at the very least the woman who suggested the idea should have lost her place in the queue so that nobody else was held up. What does AH think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Half babies should be treated as priority cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People had the opportunity to tell her to wait her turn and didn't.. their loss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm amazed you queue for the doctors. Do you not have to have appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭Degag

People had the opportunity to tell her to wait her turn and didn't.. their loss
    I get that but if i said anything i'd look a prick and still had another hour at least of waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You were asked if you had a problem with it and you said nothing. Don't bitch about it now if you weren't prepared to say anything at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Doctor's surgery's scare the beejaysus outta me. I mean you go there to get better. But u end up stuck in a small, clammy room full of sick people for ages. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Degag wrote: »
    I get that but if i said anything i'd look a prick and still had another hour at least of waiting.

It could have been an hour with screaming kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I hate that sort of nonsense but you didn't stand up at the time because you felt you would be the bad guy if you did!!

I go to a surgery where they have a great system. There are certain times of the day that only private patients can have, so I get an appointment time and it usually runs pretty smooth you get in and get out quick.

Medical card patients have to go to a drop in set up at other times where they get a number and are called as their number comes up. Private patients can attend but you have to wait as well. Now that's a proper system!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

its better to get rid of the woman first with the babies because if they started crying or whinging it would have made the waiting room hellish.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

You should have gotten a baby for compensation at least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Woman who let the other woman with babies in sounds like a nice person.

You sound like a whinger.

Live long and prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Doctor's surgery's scare the beejaysus outta me. I mean you go there to get better. But u end up stuck in a small, clammy room full of sick people for ages. FFS.

Do you ever notice it's usually sick people who end up in hospitals?

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Woman who let the other woman with babies in sounds like a nice person.

You sound like a whinger.

Live long and prosper.
    Don't see why. Everybody in that room was sick not just that woman or the babies. Woman who let her in didn't give a fúck, she was next anyway. Most other people had another couple of hours to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

get over it.. i just spent 8hrs in A&E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Was in a doctor's surgery recently with a minor ailment. There were about 7 people ahead of me when i went in and about 3 ahead of me when the following happened.

Basically this woman came in with 2 babies and was taking to another woman who was next in line. The receptionist came in and called the woman who instead allowed the woman who had just come in, in to the doctor before her - presumably because she had 1/2 babies who were sick. I was already in the surgery close to 2 hours waiting and couldn't really believe this - i mean i'm not heartless, if the babies were really sick that would be fine, but surely they'd be going to a hospital then? The woman with the babies asked the room if that was ok and nobody said anything but i think everyone was thinking the same thing - no it's not ok.

I think at the very least the woman who suggested the idea should have lost her place in the queue so that nobody else was held up. What does AH think?
    You didn't have the balls to say anything at the time, and now your on Ah whinging.
    Grow a pair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

fartman wrote: »
    get over it.. i just spent 8hrs in A&E

for excessive flatulence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Babies can get very sick very quickly. They should have priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

People will usually always offer to let me skip ahead in the queue if I'm there with the baby, or all 3 kids - nomatter where I am - doctors, supermarket, bank etc...
    I think it's really decent of people.
    I don't think I've ever taken them up on their offer, but it's nice to be asked.

When I was in my teens, I remember letter a woman with a really sick looking toddler skip infront of me - everyone else in the surgery praised me and said it was a kind thing to do.

Maybe most other people just have more compassion than you op?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't see why. Everybody in that room was sick not just that woman or the babies. Woman who let her in didn't give a fúck, she was next anyway. Most other people had another couple of hours to wait.

Can't let a woman with two babies wait two hours surly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

fartman wrote: »
    . i just spent 8hrs in A&E
    This is no less than a national disgrace. A&Es are in an awful state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

anhedonia wrote: »
    for excessive flatulence ?
    o my god how de hell did you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Swampy wrote: »
    Babies can get very sick very quickly. They should have priority.

Just babies is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

toexpress wrote: »
    I hate that sort of nonsense but you didn't stand up at the time because you felt you would be the bad guy if you did!!

I go to a surgery where they have a great system. There are certain times of the day that only private patients can have, so I get an appointment time and it usually runs pretty smooth you get in and get out quick.

Medical card patients have to go to a drop in set up at other times where they get a number and are called as their number comes up. Private patients can attend but you have to wait as well. Now that's a proper system!

I hope you're trolling.
    I have a feeling you're not though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Just babies is it?
    Particularly babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

If I was waiting two hours I would be pissed of but if someone came in with a small child that was restless I would let them in ahead of me.

Emergencies can happen and sometimes people are prioritised which is annoying too if you are sitting there for ages.

People will usually always offer to let me skip ahead in the queue if I'm there with the baby, or all 3 kids - nomatter where I am - doctors, supermarket, bank etc...
    I think it's really decent of people.
    I don't think I've ever taken them up on their offer, but it's nice to be asked.

When I was in my teens, I remember letter a woman with a really sick looking toddler skip infront of me - everyone else in the surgery praised me and said it was a kind thing to do.

Maybe most other people just have more compassion than you op?

I can be compassionate... but... the woman with the babies was just talking to the other woman, didn't appear to be a major problem with the babies, in fact the more i think of it, the more i think it was a simple check-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Well, in essence, nobody was actually put out by the whole thing, but you're here whinging.

Ergo I stand by my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I was looking after my niece, we were cooking and eating as we went along, she became sick and spewed on the spot, I got very worried and took her to my local GP (no appointment),

we were told we would have to wait till all appointments booked were seen to, I had no problem with this, while we were there she got sick 2 more times and looked very tired and pale, I asked the people if they would mind my niece seeing the doctor next (there was about 9 people waiting)

they had no problem with this as they had seen how sick she was, it turned out she had a slight reaction to tomatoes (which we both ate ), when we came out of the doctors room some woman went on a rant, you were lying just to skip the cue,

once the ambulance arrived to take her to the local hospital she got plenty of grief from the other patients, she spent 2 days in hospital and with the treatment she received she got a clean bill of health,

it scared the bejasus out of me but she is now a fine filly and mum of 2 girls, I do not know the people who were in the waiting room at that time, but it is possible they saved her life by letting her see the doctor first, I will never have the opportunity to thank them,

yet there still was the 1 who thought we were trying to pull a fast one.

I would never stop someone going before me in a GPs practice if I seen the panic in their face, even if there was no panic I would let them go before me, unless I felt I was about to implode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I can be compassionate... but... the woman with the babies was just talking to the other woman, didn't appear to be a major problem with the babies, in fact the more i think of it, the more i think it was a simple check-up.

If there was a problem the doctor would see them first.

Our doctor has walk in surgery in the am and appointments in the afternoon.

• Advertisement

God I hate when people let something like this occur, say nothing as it eats them up within before racing home to share the thrilling story on boards. Anytime someone skips the queue ahead of me I call then on it, I've been told it makes me an ass hole but I don't care. It's basic common decency that if you see a queue you take your place and don't expect special treatment.

Advertisement