Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STD - Check at GP?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I go there about once a year. They ask for my name and DOB and when I see the doctor she has my file and asks me why I am getting tested every year...

I've been to two seperate clinics and have done some training in one. The chart is chart number and initials, any lab forms etc get this and your DOB. Maybe if you forget the chart number they look you up with your name on the system.
    Yeah if you are infected it has to be reported for public health reasons. This is done completely anonymously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Back, back to the 1960's with you. Pop along to any GP and get it done - better yet a hospital. If you wait until you're up in Dublin be prepared for a loooooooooooooong wait at St James'.

Many STDs may have NO symptoms what so ever or symptoms easily dismissed.

I'll go to a GP then in capital city...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'll go to a GP then in capital city...

So long as you do. Seriously don't be embarrassed - better a bit uncomfortable then potentially ruining someone's life. Be aware of the cost (over €100) and that some GPs may not give results over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Honey-ec wrote: »
    He is. A smear is still part of a full STI check for men.

It's not pleasant, but it's a necessary evil for a full screening. Certain things, like chlamydia, don't show up in bloods.

I had one done a while back in the clinic and they said they dont do the smear anymore, it shows up in whatever blood and urine tests they do, I had a smear done previously so I dunno maybe they've ways of checking for things now they couldnt previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

krudler wrote: »
    I had one done a while back in the clinic and they said they dont do the smear anymore, it shows up in whatever blood and urine tests they do, I had a smear done previously so I dunno maybe they've ways of checking for things now they couldnt previously.

And the menfolk of the world utter a massive sigh of relief...

A previous boyfriend memorably likened the experience to someone shoving an umbrella into your urethra and opening it...

• Advertisement

Got a check done back in May and they took a smear. Was the first one I ever had and the woman didn't even warn me when she did it - it was an.. odd experience.

Don't be embarrassed by getting the check. If you want to have sex you should at least be responsible enough to ensure that you're fully clean and as regularly as possible. If you meet someone there that you know, just laugh and whatever else. It really isn't a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

If you meet someone there that you know, just laugh and whatever else. It really isn't a big deal.

I agree completely.

We all have sex. We all make mistakes sometimes.

Acting weird about it is ... weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Got a check done back in May and they took a smear. Was the first one I ever had and the woman didn't even warn me when she did it - it was an.. odd experience.

Don't be embarrassed by getting the check. If you want to have sex you should at least be responsible enough to ensure that you're fully clean and as regularly as possible. If you meet someone there that you know, just laugh and whatever else. It really isn't a big deal.

I got one in James in September. No smear thank god.

Though I did have the "new" girl sitting in so I had not one but two doctors looking at my bits.

Wasn't really that embarrassing. Except for when he asked me how many recent partners. I didn't know whether to high ball to make myself look good or low ball to make myself look good!

floggg wrote: »
    I got one in James in September. No smear thank god.

Though I did have the "new" girl sitting in so I had not one but two doctors looking at my bits.

Wasn't really that embarrassing. Except for when he asked me how many recent partners. I didn't know whether to high ball to make myself look good or low ball to make myself look good!

Reminds me of a funny-ish story.

When I was there they asked me have I ever been with a non-Irish girl. Well when I was in my late teens and early 20s I had a thing for foreign girls... so I started listing the countries... at the end they sent me to speak to the counsellor. They didn't believe I simply had a thing for foreign women (I hadn't been with too many Irish women).

Oh god another memory. I was chatting to another doctor there and asked if she knew my uncle (gay man who died from AIDS related complications). She somehow interpreted this as me trying to hint I am gay, and asked if I would like an internal examination with a camera.

Haha WTF that was a weird day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

If ye go for an STD test, do they still stick that thing into your langer? I heard it was painful, never been for a test myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

If ye go for an STD test, do they still stick that thing into your langer? I heard it was painful, never been for a test myself.

That's the smear that we're talking about. Seems that some clinics have done away with it, some haven't. Depends on where they send their bloods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Honey-ec wrote: »
    That's the smear that we're talking about. Seems that some clinics have done away with it, some haven't. Depends on where they send their bloods.

Actually want to get tested myself just for peace of mind purposes (I hope!)...

Its not as bad as everyone makes out - its like a swab inside the chapseye and is no worse than getting a jab in the arm.

Reminds me of a funny-ish story.

When I was there they asked me have I ever been with a non-Irish girl. Well when I was in my late teens and early 20s I had a thing for foreign girls... so I started listing the countries... at the end they sent me to speak to the counsellor. They didn't believe I simply had a thing for foreign women (I hadn't been with too many Irish women).

Oh god another memory. I was chatting to another doctor there and asked if she knew my uncle (gay man who died from AIDS related complications). She somehow interpreted this as me trying to hint I am gay, and asked if I would like an internal examination with a camera.

Haha WTF that was a weird day..

The ****? I told them I was gay and wasnt offered (nor did I want) a camera stuck anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

The ****? I told them I was gay and wasnt offered (nor did I want) a camera stuck anywhere.

That's because they don't do scopes in sexual health clinics.

That's because they don't do scopes in sexual health clinics.

They do in St. James's (or at least used to) seeing as they offered to do one on me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Its not as bad as everyone makes out - its like a swab inside the chapseye and is no worse than getting a jab in the arm.

Boll1x, much worse than a jan in the arm.

Gauss wrote: »
    Boll1x, much worse than a jan in the arm.

You big girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I had a full set of tests done recently - no smear just blood and urine samples taken. Results came back in 5 days and as they were all clear the doctor rang me to tell me everything was negative. If you're sexually active you should get checked from time to time, there are several sti that show no symptoms.

One thing I found interesting was that if you do come back positive for something, the place I went to will contact your previous sexual partners on your behalf and recommend they get tested - but won't identify you.

I was absolutely terrified when I was getting my results before. Rang their reception and was told that the woman that gives the results themselves were gone and that she'd call me back when she gets in, which was an hour away.

Swear to 'eck, that was the longest hour of my life! She eventually did call me back and just pretty much said, "they came back all clear" (I had the smear test and the blood sample taken).

• Advertisement

I was absolutely terrified when I was getting my results before. Rang their reception and was told that the woman that gives the results themselves were gone and that she'd call me back when she gets in, which was an hour away.

Swear to 'eck, that was the longest hour of my life! She eventually did call me back and just pretty much said, "they came back all clear" (I had the smear test and the blood sample taken).

In James I was told I wouldn't hear anything unless I had a problem.

Thankfully nothing drips, burns or scratches so I wasn't that bothered waiting. Glad to never hear from them since though!

In James I was told I wouldn't hear anything unless I had a problem.

Thankfully nothing drips, burns or scratches so I wasn't that bothered waiting. Glad to never hear from them since though!

In Galway I was told that they'd call you back before two weeks (I believe) of there was anything found and also given a number to call for my results.

Advertisement