Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STD - Check at GP?

Options
  • 22-11-2012 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am 99.9999% sure I do not have any STDs. But how can I be 100% sure?
    I had a blood test at the doctors and they just said they would check for the usual stuff, blood, liver etc. Do I have to specifically ask for an STD check?

I have to go back for a general check up next week. Is this something I should bring up, or is it something I should have asked during the blood test? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yea you have to ask.

Not sure if the GP will do the swab but if getting blood done, you have to ask for std.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yeah you can ask, if you're there and getting bloods done anyway just ask, they can do everything for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I had it this morning, and was too embarrassed to ask....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

seachto7 wrote: »

You should read this thread and find a clinic near you for a test: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152605

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Just go to james or the mater, it's anonymous and free, 1 visit for test, 1 for results 3 weeks later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

they`v seen this a million times, most are happyer you care that if you arrive with a drippy willy saying i think something might be wrong

Well, there's nothing obviously wrong. I don't have itches ailments, spots or otherwise, but never had an STD test in my life, and have had unprotected sex.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well, there's nothing obviously wrong. I don't have itches ailments, spots or otherwise, but never had an STD test in my life, and have had unprotected sex.

Well don't take the risk with yourself or anyone you might have a relationship with in the future, get it checked now. Lots of people in the same boat as you have them just to be sure. It's just a blood test and will put your mind at ease.

I'm embarrassed to get one done in Limerick in the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I'm embarrassed to get one done in Limerick in the hospital

Why be embarrassed?

It just means (a) you're being responsible about things and (b) you're getting some.

You should generally get one every six months or so if your sexually active and not in a long term monogamous relationship.

And what would be more embarrassing - going for the test or having to explain to a partner why it burns when they pee. Or worse that you've passed on something life threatening like HIV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

miamee wrote: »
    Well don't take the risk with yourself or anyone you might have a relationship with in the future, get it checked now. Lots of people in the same boat as you have them just to be sure. It's just a blood test and will put your mind at ease.

A full work-up will involve blood and a smear.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    A full work-up will involve blood and a smear.

Ohh...I had assumed the OP was a male for some reason...apologies if not.

floggg wrote: »
    Why be embarrassed?

It just means (a) you're being responsible about things and (b) you're getting some.

You should generally get one every six months or so if your sexually active and not in a long term monogamous relationship.

:):):o:o I'm not. I'm a guy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

:):):o:o I'm not. I'm a guy too.
    I assume you have been in the past, otherwise you won't need to be screened.

I would recommend you go to an an STI clinic and give false personal details. A history of STI's can affect life insurance premiums, if you go to your own GP they will obliged to pass on this information is requested. This is then entered onto a database by the insurance company.

I haven't been active in about a year, but should still do it I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I insisted my partner got tested, fortunately everything turned out ok!

hand_brain_model.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

I assume you have been in the past, otherwise you won't need to be screened.

I would recommend you go to an an STI clinic and give false personal details. A history of STI's can affect life insurance premiums, if you go to your own GP they will obliged to pass on this information is requested. This is then entered onto a database by the insurance company.

Hahahaha!!!!!!

Leave the poor lad alone and dont make him any worse with your fibs!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Hi all,

I am 99.9999% sure I do not have any STDs. But how can I be 100% sure?
    I had a blood test at the doctors and they just said they would check for the usual stuff, blood, liver etc. Do I have to specifically ask for an STD check?

I have to go back for a general check up next week. Is this something I should bring up, or is it something I should have asked during the blood test? :o

You can't be 100% sure until you're tested. So if you want to be sure, get tested.

Yeah going to the clinic seems mortifying but that's just Irish/catholic guilt. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Your yoke could be rotting off and I garuntee you they'll have seen worse. Think of the peace of mind you'll get for a few minutes awkwardness.

As far as I know only certain GPs do the full screen. All could take bloods (test for HIV, Hep, Syphillis by looking for antibodies). The ones that specifically offer the screen would also have the specimen containers for testing for gonohreea and chlamydia (urine tested by PCR for the bacteria). A GP is not directly attached to the lab nor are they specifically qualified to provide you with counselling should you test positive.
    The sexual health clinics are staffed by experts who have seen EVERYTHING, work closely with the local lab and have support staff like counsellors. They also stock certain antibiotics etc so no trips to pharmacist with 'script. The clinics also work on a completely anonymous basis, your name is not used on the chart/paperwork, it's not called out in the waiting room, they don't post you out reminders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

miamee wrote: »
    Ohh...I had assumed the OP was a male for some reason...apologies if not.

He is. A smear is still part of a full STI check for men.

It's not pleasant, but it's a necessary evil for a full screening. Certain things, like chlamydia, don't show up in bloods.

oh god.....!!!

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »

He is. A smear is still part of a full STI check for men.

It's not pleasant, but it's a necessary evil for a full screening. Certain things, like chlamydia, don't show up in bloods.

Chlamydia doesn't show in bloods but if the lab attached to the clinic has a molecular dept they can test for it by PCR (urine sample) instead of culture ("smear"/swab). For example the clinic in Waterford.

So, do I just need to ask for an STD check? Should I be asking for something in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Just go to one of the free clinics or to your GP to get tested. Many people have no symptoms and still have something to come up in their tests. Man up and get it done!

So, do I just need to ask for an STD check? Should I be asking for something in particular?

It's better if you ring the clinic and make an appointment for a (sexual health) screen. If you can't face the clinic for some reason ask your GP if they provide a sexual health screening service. In the clinic they will asses your risk of infection and test you for what you're at risk of. If a GP just ask for everything (the GP will probably charge extra and may have to disclose any HIV testing to a health insurer - outcome of test doesn't matter!)
    BTW it's no longer std it's now sti!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

it's anonymous

It actually isn't anonymous. They keep a file on you based on your name and date of birth...

It actually isn't anonymous. They keep a file on you based on your name and date of birth...

Nope. You're given a chart number unique to the clinic and that is used to book your appointments etc . Your initials are also used but not your full name on the chart. The clinic chart is kept seperate from your hospital chart, if you have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Nope. You're given a chart number unique to the clinic and that is used to book your appointments etc . Your initials are also used but not your full name on the chart. The clinic chart is kept seperate from your hospital chart, if you have one.

I go there about once a year. They ask for my name and DOB and when I see the doctor she has my file and asks me why I am getting tested every year...

It's better if you ring the clinic and make an appointment for a (sexual health) screen. If you can't face the clinic for some reason ask your GP if they provide a sexual health screening service. In the clinic they will asses your risk of infection and test you for what you're at risk of. If a GP just ask for everything (the GP will probably charge extra and may have to disclose any HIV testing to a health insurer - outcome of test doesn't matter!)
    BTW it's no longer std it's now sti!

I'd be too embarrassed to ring my local doctor as the receptionist is a young woman. I might do it when I move Dublin. It'll be a bit more anonymous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Name and DOB taken. If you have something like HIV then I believe it has to be reported in some way.

Rightly or wrongly use a made up name imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'd be too embarrassed to ring my local doctor as the receptionist is a young woman. I might do it when I move Dublin. It'll be a bit more anonymous...

Back, back to the 1960's with you. Pop along to any GP and get it done - better yet a hospital. If you wait until you're up in Dublin be prepared for a loooooooooooooong wait at St James'.

Many STDs may have NO symptoms what so ever or symptoms easily dismissed.

Advertisement