Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain South/South East. Possible Flooding Sunday 25 November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This looks like it is going to slam into England with storm winds, really nice structure on latest imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z NAE showing up to 60mm in Wexford over the next 48 hours.

toTIp.gif

And you can see from that why there are 153 flood alerts & 42 flood warnings in the UK now.

http://www.shoothill.com/floodmap/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Rainfall totals to 6am Monday

1adWw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Non stop rain since before lunchtime today here in Wexford. 60mm by Monday seems very possible.

Met Eireann advisory.
    Issued at 24 November 2012 - 19:39

Weather Advisory

Heavy rain will affect southern counties of Leinster and Munster from Sunday morning through to Monday morning. Between 30 and 50 mm are likely with some intense downpours. This will lead to localised flooding.

Meanwhile over in the UK, more flood advisories and warnings and the first severe flood warning.

http://www.shoothill.com/floodmap/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Can't see this doing much in Ireland, the next system is already pushing it off to the east, about 5-10 mm more could fall mainly in east Ulster and northeast Leinster now ... tomorrow's system could give 10-20 mm falls in the south.

Over in Britain, the low will probably intensify when it reaches the North Sea and the strongest wind gusts will be around East Anglia and just north of London with some westerly gusts to 120 km/hr there, 90-110 km/hr around the Channel coasts also. About 20-40 mm rainfalls in total for parts of England, but largely in places that did not flood earlier except for southwest.

97 flood warnings and 3 severe flood warnings in the UK now. Some river levels in the southwest of England are at record highs with more rain due Sunday/Monday. I'm glad we are mostly missing out on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tramore, County Waterford, there has been some heavy rain during the day but not exceptional, not raining at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

looksee wrote: »
    Tramore, County Waterford, there has been some heavy rain during the day but not exceptional, not raining at the moment.

A very nice night indeed

METAR EIWF 242300Z AUTO 32009KT 280V020 CAVOK 04/02 Q1002=

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some very strong winds this morning over the SE UK and English Channel from that storm system.

Grenwich Light Vessel reporting 67mph wind atm or Violent Storm 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lashing it down in Cork city now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lashing rain in Clonmel now. Not very cold just a rotten grey dismal November day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

anybody any idea how much rain will fall in north leinster, taught this would miss us but doesnt seem likely now, field beside the house is saturated so it will flow into our site, if its anything heavy at all, we could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Very quit here for the last couple of days ... Nice day yesterday with no rain and wind .... had enough for the month

J6 Helipad in the North Sea is reporting winds of 62 gust 74 kts this morning. It is at 34 m amsl, so that would mean it gets around 14% stronger winds than at standard 10 m height.

METAR EHJA 251125Z AUTO 23062G74KT 3500 DZ FEW008/// BKN010///
    OVC012/// 08/06 Q0988=

Hoorn-s Helipad, just off the Dutch coast, reported slightly weaker

METAR EHQE 251055Z AUTO 23053G65KT 9000 FEW009/// SCT019///
    BKN023/// 10/05 Q0996=

On land, the nearest station to that would be Vlieland, which is still pretty windy!

SPECI EHVL 251142Z AUTO 23047G57KT 4900 -RADZ FEW017/// SCT020///
    BKN027/// 08/07 Q0997 GRN=

This is how I calculate the difference in windspeed v height. For standard 10 m, the factor is 1.0.

m **Factor
    1 **0.74
    3 **0.86
    5 **0.92
    10 **1
    15 **1.05
    20 **1.08
    25 **1.1
    30 **1.13
    35 **1.14
    40 **1.15
    45 **1.17
    50 **1.18
    55 **1.2
    60 **1.21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

this system seems to be heading more north than north east? Looks like it might miss the UK now, or will it take a turn east soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »
    this system seems to be heading more north than north east? Looks like it might miss the UK now, or will it take a turn east soon?

The wider system is moving ENE but rain band itself is being being pushed very briefly northwards as it pivots around the low pressure center to our south. Should swing away back SE'wards later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

Su Campu wrote: »
    This is how I calculate the difference in windspeed v height. For standard 10 m, the factor is 1.0.

m **Factor
    1 **0.74
    3 **0.86
    5 **0.92
    10 **1
    15 **1.05
    20 **1.08
    25 **1.1
    30 **1.13
    35 **1.14
    40 **1.15
    45 **1.17
    50 **1.18
    55 **1.2
    60 **1.21

Helgoland oberland with 53 m had at 1400 gusts of 107 km and Helgoland Duene with 8 m 86 km (at 1500 97 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Raining here in north Kilkenny since about 10.30 this morning,just stopped now.
    It was,nt heavy rain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Moderate (sometimes heavy) rain here since 3pm. 10.0mm so far.

• Advertisement

waterways wrote: »

Helgoland oberland with 53 m had at 1400 gusts of 107 km and Helgoland Duene with 8 m 86 km (at 1500 97 km)

What I was referring to was the change in wind speed with increasing height above the surface, i.e. if you had several anemometers at different heights at the same station then what difference would we see between each one. Over land the difference would be much less than over sea as turbulent eddies would be much more dominant over land and would ruin any laminar flow gradient present. The figures I posted apply to sea stations, such as buoys, ships, platforms, etc. That is why I always treat wind ship reports with caution until I check out the height of the anemometers, or indeed if one was used in the first place (some ship wind reports are human estimations).

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Very heavy rain in Cork over the last hour, after a few hours of moderated rain before that.
    The rain is going nowhere fast either judging by the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Wicklow lots of water on n11 and secondary rds

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

Su Campu wrote: »
    What I was referring to was the change in wind speed with increasing height above the surface, i.e. if you had several anemometers at different heights at the same station then what difference would we see between each one. Over land the difference would be much less than over sea as turbulent eddies would be much more dominant over land and would ruin any laminar flow gradient present. The figures I posted apply to sea stations, such as buoys, ships, platforms, etc. That is why I always treat wind ship reports with caution until I check out the height of the anemometers, or indeed if one was used in the first place (some ship wind reports are human estimations).

Isn't Heligoland with 1,7 km² like an offshore platform with three weather stations at 4, 8 and 53 m, all in a distance of half a mile and less?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Where is everyone??
    Snowing here in Cork where I am (roughly same height as Cork Airport)
    Its wet snow but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Lashing rain here south Wexford since this morning.

Where is everyone??
    Its wet snow but still

Are you sure its not sleety rain? :P

Looked like it was possible on high ground around there on the NAE alright.

jkLdu.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Where is everyone??
    Its wet snow but still

I would imagine most of us are sulking after the latest ECM output.

Raining steadily here since about 3pm. A lot of surface water on the roads around here. I took a drive up the mountains to about 400m asl an hour ago to try and get a fix but not a flake to be seen, rain all the way. Might be a few white summits by morning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Was just out for a quick spin to the shops and there is a bit of sleety rain about at the min, but its a bit milder now at 5c than at any stage today.

• Advertisement

Tipping down (rain) here. 21.2mm since 3pm.

Advertisement