Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Real Christmas Trees / Stands - *Post all requests here*

Options
  • 21-11-2012 7:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I might get a 5 foot tall potted Christmass tree?

B&Q,Homebase and Woodies and 1 or 2 garden centres all seem to only have 2-3 foot tall potted trees.

Anyone know anywhere selling 5 foot tall potted trees??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Any idea how much the 2-3 foot potted trees are going for ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Any idea how much the 2-3 foot potted trees are going for ?

35 euro or something like that for the 2-3 foot potted trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 speedfight

I'm looking for a list of christmas tree farms within an hour of Dublin.

Does anyone know of any with markets attached or make it a real experience.

Also, is there anywhere which allows you to help cutting/chopping/sawing the tree you pick or is it a matter of just pointing one out?

Sorted....picked up a lovely 5.5 foot tall potted Noble Fir Xmass tree this morning for 40 euro in Dublin.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

That's great ! I put the tree up today ..
    Still can't find the outside lights .

• Advertisement

That's great ! I put the tree up today ..
    Still can't find the outside lights .

Ah well,you know where to go for some good and cheap lights.:)

That potted Xmass tree is being planted in the ground at some stage next week.:)

speedfight wrote: »
    I'm looking for a list of christmas tree farms within an hour of Dublin.

Does anyone know of any with markets attached or make it a real experience.

Also, is there anywhere which allows you to help cutting/chopping/sawing the tree you pick or is it a matter of just pointing one out?

Rolestown Xmass Tree Farm...which is out the back of Swords...any tree you pick out,the farmer will cut it down and sell it for 40 euro.
    Went last year and it was ok...lots of shyte/poorly grown trees,and the odd few gems...if you went down the back of the forest and looked very hard.:)

There is also an Xmass tree farm in Killakee just at the foothills of the Dublin Mountains,1 in Nass and also close to Glenealy in Wicklow,he will be open from next weekend too.

Again,you pick the tree and the farmer cuts it down for you.......(insurance reasons and no ordinary people running around with chainsaws and bow saws)

http://www.christmastreefarm.ie/index.php

http://www.kildarechristmastrees.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flanno

paddy147 wrote: »
    Sorted....picked up a lovely 5.5 foot tall potted Noble Fir Xmass tree this morning for 40 euro in Dublin.:D

Where did you find it Paddy? Looking for the same myself.

flanno wrote: »
    Where did you find it Paddy? Looking for the same myself.

Christmass tree farm up in the Dublin Mountains,,you can select your own and then they will chop it down and net it for you.

They also grow and sell potted trees up to around 5-5.5 feet in height.

Considering all the DIY and gardening stores want 35-40 euro for a 2-3 foot tall potted tree,I think that 40 euro for a potted 5.5 feet tall Noble Fir Tree is a bargain and a half.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flanno

paddy147 wrote: »
    Christmass tree farm up in the Dublin Mountains,,you can select your own and then they will chop it down and net it for you.

They also grow and sell potted trees up to around 5-5.5 feet in height.

Considering all the DIY and gardening stores want 35-40 euro for a 2-3 foot tall potted tree,I think that 40 euro for a potted 5.5 feet tall Noble Fir Tree is a bargain and a half.:D

Thanks for that, i'd tend to agree and like the idea of getting a few years out of a tree before planting it. I don't suppose you have more specific location details.

• Advertisement

flanno wrote: »
    Thanks for that, i'd tend to agree and like the idea of getting a few years out of a tree before planting it. I don't suppose you have more specific location details.

It was my missus that found the place and she drove over with me,I was half asleep in the passenger seat,as per usual.:pac::D

I,ll ask her later on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Cliona2012

Anyone know if Homebase have real trees in stock yet? and how much/any deals>

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Homebase have real trees in stock yet? and how much/any deals>

No..only 3 foot tall potted trees for 35 euro.

B&Q have Noble Firs in stock,but 55 euro for a 6-7 footer.

I checked this out today and they have real trees.
    They have Norway spruces for €20 but they're tiny! - 4 foot or so accross the board.
    Anyone know if Homebase is getting in 6-7 ft Norway spruce trees?

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    I checked this out today and they have real trees.
    They have Norway spruces for €20 but they're tiny! - 4 foot or so accross the board.
    Anyone know if Homebase is getting in 6-7 ft Norway spruce trees?

They have them in Homebase Santry today.....6-7 feet tall

55 euro....15% off for this weekend though.....so 46 euro 75 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Maps2011

Thanks thats really cool.
    What other types of trees do they have in Homebase, and do they follow the €45 for up to 6ft and €55 for 6 ft guideline?

Maps2011 wrote: »
    Thanks thats really cool.
    What other types of trees do they have in Homebase, and do they follow the €45 for up to 6ft and €55 for 6 ft guideline?

Look at the pic...6-7 foot is 55 euro. (15% discount off that this weekend only,,,so 45 euro 75 cents each)

Thats the only trees they have---Noble Firs.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Maps2011

You're great. Thanks :)

Thanks Paddy and Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Just wondering where's best place to get a stand? None in co op today. Tried B&Q but too small for our tree. Need to be able to put water in it.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Blueskye wrote: »
    Just wondering where's best place to get a stand? None in co op today. Tried B&Q but too small for our tree. Need to be able to put water in it.

Thanks!

50 euro in Homebase.:eek:

Bought the exact same one (2 of them actually) in Lidl last year for 15 euro each.:D

Takes a tree up to 5 inches wide at the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Must look out for them in Lidl , had no idea they were so expensive.

Karen23 wrote: »
    Must look out for them in Lidl , had no idea they were so expensive.

You can also buy them in any decent garden centers (allthough a bit more expensive than Lidl),they have large handles that you screw into the base of the tree on 3 sides (like a plane propellor).

These will easily take/hold a 14 foot tall tree and a 6-7 inch wide trunk/base.You then fill the centre with around 1-1.5 litres of sugar water.

Worked a treat for my tree anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

Any tips on where to buy a real Christmas tree in the city centre?? I know there's one spot near our house in Stoneybatter but I'm just looking for some other suggestions too!

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

There's a fruit and veg shop on Mary's Abbey, between Chancery and Capel streets that have real ones, saw them while passing it this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

jjdub1 wrote: »
    There's a fruit and veg shop on Mary's Abbey, between Chancery and Capel streets that have real ones, saw them while passing it this morning

Cheers had a look in Ikea. They had some nice trees but not big enough I thought. Picked one up near griffith Av on the Ballymun Road for €45

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

They're selling some at the Western side of the CHQ building in the IFSC. Had wreaths and loads of other stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Di901

Hi!
    Really hope someone can help. I'm trying to get a large christmas tree between 8 and 10 foot but it has to be really FULL. I know some people like the trunk exposed but not us.

We've been getting this type of tree for 20 years and mostly get it from a well known place in Milltown but every year the man who runs it is incredibly rude to us and he keeps jacking up his prices. This year when he quoted us €120 for our 'very special tree'(his words not ours) I hit my limit. We've also bought our tree from the lads next door to him who are really nice guys but they had none of those trees this year- maybe due to the tree shortage i heard about? We got lucky with the scouts in terenure last year but again this year, none.

Please help me out! Please please please!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

And you posted this in Trying to Conceive why? :confused:

Moving to Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Di901

Orion wrote: »
    And you posted this in Trying to Conceive why? :confused:

Moving to Christmas

Because I've never used boardd before and made a mistake?

Advertisement