Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holistic Vets in Ireland

Options
  • 21-11-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

is there a website that list holistic vets or where can i find out if there is one near me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Best bet is to contact this crowd & inform them that you want to subject an innocent animal to worthless & possibly dangerous mumbo jumbo instead of getting it the proper veterinary care which it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

your nasty and judgemental opinion doesn't help custardpi. You have no idea what veterinary care is being afforded to my dog currently or what lengths i've gone to give him proper veterinary care. So next time you feel the urge to write a non informative unrelated reply to a post, please stop and ask yourself "have i anything positive to contribute" and if the answer is no... then step away from your keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you want I'll take a 100 quid to light some candles, swing a crappy rock on some string around and give you some platitudes to make you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

kassie wrote: »
    your nasty and judgemental opinion doesn't help custardpi. You have no idea what veterinary care is being afforded to my dog currently or what lengths i've gone to give him proper veterinary care. So next time you feel the urge to write a non informative unrelated reply to a post, please stop and ask yourself "have i anything positive to contribute" and if the answer is no... then step away from your keyboard!

It doesn't really matter at all what you've done so far. Holistic medicine is claptrap, for people and animals. Go to a different real vet if you are dissatisfied with your current real vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

If you think bringing your pet to some fool/charlatan is going to help then you are sadly mistaken.
    Take your dog to a real vet. You'll know when you are talking to a real vet because they won't mention holistic treatment, homeopathy or any other type of utter ****e.

• Advertisement

i didn't ask for anyones opinion on holistic treatment, nor am i dissatisfied with my current vet, i just asked if there was a listing of holistic vets for ireland. So if you don't know where i can find one then don't bother replying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I don't know it there is a website or not, but Tom Farrington the only holistic vet I've ever of, if you google him he will pop right up I'm sure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I'm not sure I want to get into any arguments but the definition of holistic is a practisethat looks at the whole person or animal.

So for an animal it could be food, exercise,medicine and love.

I wish people wouldn't be so judgemental about others beliefs to misinterpret what was looked for.
    The op wasnt looking for alternative medicine simply a vet who would consider their pets as a whole and not as a single symptom, there is a difference.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Custardpi wrote: »
    Best bet is to contact this crowd & inform them that you want to subject an innocent animal to worthless & possibly dangerous mumbo jumbo instead of getting it the proper veterinary care which it needs.

Ok you two calm down.Consider this a warning to both of you.

Kassie if you have a problem with a post report it and the mods will deal with it.

DO NOT RESPOND.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For the uninformed/negative responses - I do a lot of TTouch ground work with my dog and it has made a HUGE difference in his recovery from surgery. He's more balanced and not favoruing one leg over the other, he's got a better range of movement and pretty much everyone we know has commented that he looks taller/longer since we started the groundwork (because he's not holding so much tension in his back/hind quaters) they didn't know I was doing it with him but saw a difference in him. This is not a substitute for him needing medical treatment - it's to compliment the treatment he's already had.
    OP is there something in particular you're looking for help on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

A friend of mine has brought her dog for acupuncture on the recommendation of a vet. As dogs dont get the placebo effect you can tell whether it is working or not.

As far as I know she used Lissadell vets in Swords so they they be able to help you find a more local practictioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Inexile wrote: »
    A friend of mine has brought her dog for acupuncture on the recommendation of a vet. As dogs dont get the placebo effect you can tell whether it is working or not.

No but humans do get confirmation bias. There may well be other factors causing an animal to get better or you may simply be perceiving an improvement & attributing that to the acupuncture. Real medicine is subject to those things too of course, whether it be for animals or humans, which is why vigourous double-blind tests are used to determine what works & what doesn't. Not a perfect system by any means but it's the best doctors & vets have at present. Acupuncture, when properly tested like this doesn't do very well, despite what anecdotal evidence might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I want to get into any arguments but the definition of holistic is a practisethat looks at the whole person or animal.

So for an animal it could be food, exercise,medicine and love.

I wish people wouldn't be so judgemental about others beliefs to misinterpret what was looked for.
    The op wasnt looking for alternative medicine simply a vet who would consider their pets as a whole and not as a single symptom, there is a difference.

Actually all good vets take a holistic approach to their patient, according to the above definition. Maybe this is more evident in cattle practice were we take a herd health approach to our problems and try to figure out the causative agents and possible preventive measures.

I was once at a meeting where a town planner started talking about their "holistic traffic plan" :)

Acupuncture has been used with good responses in animals. PM me if you want a cork vet doing this.

OP maybe you need a second veterinary opinion on your pet and a fresh pair of eyes may get to see the whole picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

While I am wholly against holistic treatment, I think some posters' responses were a bit harsh and judgemental.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Gumbi wrote: »
    While I am wholly against holistic treatment, I think some posters' responses were a bit harsh and judgemental.

Agreed. However, as a warning has already been issued, can we please return to the topic: the poster is not asking for a critique of homoeopathy, but is looking for veterinary homoeopathic practitioners.
    If anyone would like to discuss the efficacy or otherwise of homoeopathy, start another thread. But this thread is not to be drawn off-topic again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Here's a list of them, good luck! https://sites.google.com/site/isofvh/home

thanks to all the genuine responses. My dog has had an ongoing skin condition for a number of years, after many tests, scrapings and biopsies, my vets have advised that he has to be on a drug which is shockingly expensive (but i have insurance to cover it thankfully) and they advise that he has to be on this drug long term. I read some shocking report about the drug yesterday saying that it caused tumours/cancers in long term users and i emailed my concerns to my vet. They have since replied saying that they understand my concerns after reading the information but they can assure me that the drug is safe and regular health tests will be carried out.

After a lot of reading up on my dogs particular condition, i feel that when the current infection is 100% cleared and his skin is 100% healed, that with changes to my dogs diet and the use of a special shampoo that i might be able to manage this condition without the aid of drugs. I'm not in any way trying to withhold veterinary care from my dog, i've had been through the wringer when it comes to his health, but i'm not comfortable with him being on long term meds IF there is an alternative way to manage this condition. Hence my reason looking for the holistic/homeopathic vet, as i would like to get their advice on the situation and then make a final decision regarding long term treatment.

At the end of the day i want my dog to have the best quality of life with as little risk to his health as possible. He is a giant breed and his life span is short enough without putting him at extra risk of shortening it by giving him long term meds.

Your poor dog. Can you say here what the condition he has is?
    What's the drug? Atopica maybe?
    I've a lot of experience dealing with atopy/atopic dermatitis in dogs, if this is what your dog has, I'd be happy to tell you what works for me in most cases :-)

Thats exactly it DDB! I've read that a supplement of omega 3 in the diet can be a big help and am planning on getting some salmon oil. I used to give him salmon oil when i showed him but he is since retired and i just didn't bother continuing with it. But looking back, the year he was taking the salmon oil his skin was virtually unaffected. I gave him his first dose of the Atopica on tuesday nite and he cried all night long, which is not normal, and i can't help but feel the meds caused him to have an upset tummy - and thats only after one dose! Has to be an easier more natural way of maintaining this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

What are you feeding OP? A raw diet might help?

• Advertisement

he's been on a raw diet since he was 12 months old, its prob what has kept it so quiet for so long, this is only the second serious flare up which has required drug treatment, i've managed all other petty skin issues at home with the help of creams and washes.

Atopica can give them an awful sickener alright, but again I found ways of getting around this. No point in you giving him expensive meds when he just yaks them back up again!
    What meat is he on? We've had a couple of atopic dogs that were allergic to chicken... Took a while to figure out why the change to raw wasn't working as well as we'd hoped!
    Did all the tests give any answers to what he's allergic to?
    If you pm me your email address, I'm happy to wax lyrical about the whole condition!

Atopica Datasheet

http://http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/documents/S5798.html

This drugs works by suppressing the immune system in dogs affected with Atopy (environmental allergic skin disease)

Side effects may occur with its use. Most are transient and resolve on treatment, some require treatment to be stopped and they then resolve. Details on the datasheet. Everything on the datasheet has to be proven by the manufacturer before the licensing authority, Irish Medicine Board here, approves it.

Allergic skin disease is a painful condition if not managed. The OP is to be commended for persisting with the diagnosis and treatment as unfortunately some people do not.

Please discuss veterinary treatment in these serious conditions with your vet. Reports from owners who have dealt with this condition may be helpful but should not alter fundamentally your veterinary agreed treatment plan
    Thanks

i'm working with my vet on a continuing basis to find the best treatment plan for us and my vet is happy with my choice

Most are transient and resolve on treatment, some require treatment to be stopped and they then resolve.

So, if you have to stop the treamtnet to resolve the vomiting issue, how does the dog get the treament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Kassie what breed is your dog? Westie by any chance?

He is a giant breed

Only if by "giant", OP was talking about his attitude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Does 'holistic' mean homeopathy? I don't think so.

I personally know some fantastic vets that also practice homeopathy or acupuncture or chiropractice. It doesn't mean they are any less qualified or competent than the vets who haven't pursued those interests. It doesn't mean they don't advocate conventional therapies for different diseases. It just means that when these treatments aren't working, they look at the bigger picture for environmental/behavioural/dietary issues that might be contributing.

It's a huge insult to be so dismissive of these vets as if they are quacks. Anyone that derides vets that have been branded as 'holistic' clearly have never brought their own pet to one. I reckon it's the humanists/sceptics/rationalists on boards seeing the word homeopathy or similar in a thread title and thundering in here to pour scorn on it.

DBB wrote: »
    So, if you have to stop the treamtnet to resolve the vomiting issue, how does the dog get the treament?

Any chance you could read my entire paragraphs, or at least the sentences around the bits you quote?

Side effects may occur with its use. Most are transient and resolve on treatment, some require treatment to be stopped and they then resolve. Details on the datasheet

I am not getting into a discussion with you on details of prescription drugs.
    I included the link to the datasheet in my post so people could get information and then discuss with their Veterinary Surgeon any problems they have.

The OP is happy with her therapy and just wanted some advice on adjuncts to that treatment.
    You are dragging the topic off track and as a moderator you know that is against the forum charter.

• Advertisement

For goodness' sake LM, will you lose the attitude? I asked you a perfectly valid question based on your post, but you haven't answered it, instead you grind your teeth and throw out a silly accusation about being off-topic, with that age-old chestnut "you're a mod so you should know better". Sigh.
    Yes, the blurb says treatment may have to be stopped: I asked what happens then? Can you not answer this, no?
    There's nothing off-topic about the way the conversation was flowing until your post, but if you have a problem with it being off-topic, you need to report it, as per the forum charter. Commenting on a post being off-topic is back-seat moderation, which is against the forum charter.
    You posted a link to a product the OP has already done a lot of research on, which gives her no more information than she already has, and certainly goes no way to allay her fears.
    OP has discussed this with her vet, as stated. But how many vets have had to actually live with the treatments they prescribe? I offered the OP some advice on how to make giving that treatment somewhat easier and more effective, given that I've had to administer Atopica to, and had to live with, dozens and dozens of atopic dogs. I have not told anyone not to do what their vet says, quite the contrary in fact: just offering some real life experience to the mix.

Advertisement