Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antibiotics, Are people really that stupid

Options
  • 21-11-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

According to the news there one in three people expect antibiotics when they go to the docs with a cold or flu.

So now there is the big campaign, ads and news pieces telling people not to take them if they don't need them.

Now my issue with this is this, why are docs still giving them out. Should the docs not have the "talk" and not the people on the street.

this would save a lot of hassle and money (guessing SOMEONE has to pay for the ads) not enough to pay off europe i know but its something.

And if people demand antibiotics then give them sugar pills/placebos and send them on their way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

It's not a good idea to get antibiotics unless you're old.

The problem lies with GP's handing them out like smarties.

People can demand what they like, but without a prescription they won't get medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

danniemcq wrote: »
    And if people demand antibiotics then give them sugar pills/placebos and send them on their way.

And still charge them E50 for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

well if you go to a doc for a sniffle then call it a pain in the ass tax

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Casillas wrote: »

I have a condition that means if I get a chest infection I could end up very seriously ill if I don't take a course of antibiotics and nip it in the bud early on. It sucks, as I'm not a fan of medicating in general, but can't be helped.

I think the issue is people either saving old antibiotics from a previous illness, or buying them abroad. You can get them in Spain over the counter. I know someone who has a tub of them and gives it her kids when they've an ear infection/sore throat etc.

It's really not smart, but people would be far more likely to see a doc if they didn't cost so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

c_man wrote: »

Well if you've gone to the doctor for a flu you've still used their time and expertise. It's not the doctor's fault that you couldn't tell that all you had was the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yes people are that thick, you see it only applies to other they are always the excepttion.

It is unethical to give out placebos.

People often spoff about their symptoms in order to get a script, because I will be better if I take meds, or I must be sick if I got a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

GP's just probably get fed up of trying to explain to the gob****es that the antibiotics won't do them any good,so write the script to get rid of them.

People can demand what they like, but without a prescription they won't get medication.

Thats my point, why target us with these ads and crap when we can't do anything without the docs go ahead.

Unless you are going the prepper route and getting fish antibiotics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

c_man wrote: »

I think this is part of the problem, people expect more than "go home and rest you'll be grand" when they pay €50 for a Doctor visit.

Me anytime I have ever gone to the doctor with a cold/flu I refuse any prescribed medicines, im just there to get the sick cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Antibiotics are used for loads of things, I'm on a course of them at the minute to clear up my skin. They're not just useful to older people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The more you take the greater your risk of them not working when you really need them to work.

(inserts obligatory 'I never take medicine for colds etc' comment here)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Thats my point, why target us with these ads and crap when we can't do anything without the docs go ahead.

Unless you are going the prepper route and getting fish antibiotics

I don't know of many docs who hand them out willy nilly- I think it's people self medicating that's to blame. You know how they always say to finish a course of tablets, even if you feel better? Well a lot of people stop after a few days and keep the rest for next time they're sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I think people are improving but there still is a lot of ignorant prep pole when it comes to antibiotics.

The best yet is the person that would offer you the 'few left over antibiotics' they have in the press when you get sick. They could have gotten it for their toe and are offering it to you for your chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

I have a condition that means if I get a chest infection I could end up very seriously ill if I don't take a course of antibiotics and nip it in the bud early on. It sucks, as I'm not a fan of medicating in general, but can't be helped.

I think the issue is people either saving old antibiotics from a previous illness, or buying them abroad. You can get them in Spain over the counter. I know someone who has a tub of them and gives it her kids when they've an ear infection/sore throat etc.

It's really not smart, but people would be far more likely to see a doc if they didn't cost so much.

If you need them, you need them. Most don't though and with everyone taking antibiotics, they become less effective for people like yourself who need them. The thing is GP's know this, why so many don't seem to care though I can't understand. Maybe they're afraid if people know they won't receive antibiotics, they won't go see the GP and cough up cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

According to the news there one in three people expect antibiotics when they go to the docs with a cold or flu.

So now there is the big campaign, ads and news pieces telling people not to take them if they don't need them.

Now my issue with this is this, why are docs still giving them out. Should the docs not have the "talk" and not the people on the street.

this would save a lot of hassle and money (guessing SOMEONE has to pay for the ads) not enough to pay off europe i know but its something.

have you been watchen derren brown or something. Giving people placebos! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

GP's just probably get fed up of trying to explain to the gob****es that the antibiotics won't do them any good,so write the script to get rid of them.

Yep, it is easy for us to say let people demand, give them nothing. However, when you have 20+ people in a waiting room waiting on you, it is easier for them to write the script in certain cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

It's all a scam, Antibiotics are good for you, they just don't want you taking them because you'll have to keep coming back to the doctors which will make them more money, now i'm off to polish my tinfoil hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes. People are that stupid.

have you been watchen derren brown or something. Giving people placebos! :rolleyes:

I've been facinated with the whole science behind the effect for years. Its one of the reasons so many drugs that could save lives have had to be scrapped and at least some of the reason why drugs cost so much as they may have to go back to the drawing board on numerous occasions.

There was a brilliant piece in Wired magazine a few years ago, wonder could i find it online.

But yeah the derren brown one was very interesting too.

and if you think ah placebo effect it woul;dn't work on me in the wired article it mentions people being told that this pill is a sugar pill and will do nothing for you have seen their symptoms/conditions improve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lyaiera wrote: »

Well if you've gone to the doctor for a flu you've still used their time and expertise. It's not the doctor's fault that you couldn't tell that all you had was the flu.
    Most people don't get the flu, it's just a cold. If you get the flu you know about it and will go to the doctor. Expect to be literally in bed for a week or more and lose a fair amount of weight. You truely ache all over and are going to find it hard to walk.
    Had the flu once and will never mix up with a cold.

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote:
    There was a brilliant piece in Wired magazine a few years ago, wonder could i find it online.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect?currentPage=all

found it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Women look after their health better than men.
    I'm in hiding

I don't know of many docs who hand them out willy nilly- I think it's people self medicating that's to blame. You know how they always say to finish a course of tablets, even if you feel better? Well a lot of people stop after a few days and keep the rest for next time they're sick.

People really are thick. How is it not common knowledge that it's essential to finish a course of antibiotics? And that you need different antibiotics depending on what's wrong, they're not like paracetamol! I really despair sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The blue ones are best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Most people don't get the flu, it's just a cold. If you get the flu you know about it and will go to the doctor.

I don't see why, I've had it twice before - yes, proper flu - and all it took was time to kick it off. That and not being able to move :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Most people don't get the flu, it's just a cold. If you get the flu you know about it and will go to the doctor. Expect to be literally in bed for a week or more and lose a fair amount of weight. You truely ache all over and are going to find it hard to walk.
    Had the flu once and will never mix up with a cold.

I know. I've had a flu a few times, the first couple of times I went to the doctor and there was nothing he could do: paracetamol for pain and fever, liquids, bed rest and eat whenever you can. People usually just stick through colds, drinking lemsip and eating oranges (not that they do anything) and a huge amount of people think a bad cold is the flu. Once they get the flu they think they're dying and go and demand antibiotics. Colds are bad, the flu is fecking awful people don't know the difference.

I know my doctor will take phone calls from people who think they have the flu. Whether it's to stop people who have a cold wasting their time, or his actual stated reason of keeping it out of the waiting room I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Some people are very misinformed and expect antibiotics for virus based illnesses which would do you no good.

Something equally as bad is people not carrying out the full course of antibiotics and more or less picking and choosing when to take them. This is why the level of antibiotic resistant bacteria is exploding because they are not exposed to a full dose of antibiotics, so all the bacteria are not all killed but adapt slowly to become immune to the effects of them.

It's pretty shocking and it will give rise to many many more superbugs that will be very hard to treat. In Southeast Asia it's becoming a growing epidemic as antibiotics are dirt cheap and available over the counter without prescription, so their effectiveness has plummeted over the years. What's worse is there hasn't been a major break through in discovering new antibiotics since the 50s.

Definitely there should be more measures brought in and more information available about antibiotics because it's so irresponsible for doctors to be handing them out so readily when not actually necessary, but it's patients pressuring the doctor for something that is also a problem as they feel a need to justify the expense of the visit.
    The problem lies with both parties really, and it's important that it should be sorted out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

they are really pushing the over the counter remedies. Are theys re theyre not pushing the over the counter remedies because they are making more % on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

A friend of mine told be about this colloidal silver stuff that can cure the same stuff as antibiotics do. Even said to work on viruses

Did a bit of research on it and you see the guy that turned blue from drinking it....lots of negative press from the drug companies.

So was very sceptical.

Did a bit more research into and seen that he made his solution with salt, which caused the blue side effect.

Learned how to make my own from distilled water.

I can't say there is enough research into it too prove that it works the way people claim but I decided to use myself as a Guinea pig when I was getting constant colds, cough's, chest infections and swore throats.

I have to say it worked wonders for me as in cured in a matter of 2 hours.

most people will be sceptical about it and say no, but the people that have tried it have all said it works.

As in Colds and flu's gone within hours....toothaches gone in minutes...even infected bones healed where antibiotics failed...but this is just my experience.

Since I started making my own, I've saved loads on doctor and medication bills.

I wouldn't recommend buying it, just educating yourself as much as you can, and if you think it's for you try making some.

It's only water and tiny nano particals of silver....all you need.

I'd only take maybe a mouth full of it if I'm sick and I get all better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

For man flu i recommend;

Hot whiskeys with lemon, brown sugar and cloves.
    Nurofen cold n flu
    homemade chicken noodle soup
    Pints of water with desolving multi vits
    Ignore the woman and sleep with the window a jar

Advertisement