Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dia Duit: Any alternative

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Davidius wrote: »
    Being proud of the fact that you speak English is like being proud that you can walk, it only make sense in contexts that most likely don't apply to you. I may be wrong however as you might be a Mongol with muscular dystrophy.

You must have missed the smiley in my post.

I'm sure people with Down's syndrome or with muscular dystrophy are delighted that you feel that those conditions can be used as insults. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

swampgas wrote: »

I'm sure people with Down's syndrome or with muscular dystrophy are delighted that you feel that those conditions can be used as insults. Classy.

"Mongol" is used as a derivative term for people with Down's Syndrome? I did not know that, and to be honest I find it really depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

swampgas wrote: »

I'm not trying to insult you, it was just a quip that fell flat. A Mongol is a person from Mongolia - i.e. somebody who wouldn't be expected to speak English. The point was that it's unlikely you're somebody to who speaking English would take considerable time and effort. It would be like being proud that you can walk without having faced adverse circumstances. I then add a clause absolving me of any error in the those assumptions by preparing for an overly specific case where neither assumption is true. It's intended to be jocular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

What's the plural of Dia?

gods be with you? ;)
    Battlestar Galactica as gaeilge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

What's the plural of Dia?

gods be with you? ;)
    Battlestar Galactica as gaeilge ;)
    Déithe

• Advertisement

Well everybody...

deithe duit! (always go with the small d for extra effect) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Well everybody...

deithe duit! (always go with the small d for extra effect) :)

Deithe diabh*.

*Or is it dhiabh? My Irish is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A Mongol is a person from Mongolia - i.e. somebody who wouldn't be expected to speak English. The point was that it's unlikely you're somebody to who speaking English would take considerable time and effort.

Call me a Doubting Thomas, but of all the nationalities in the world that are unlikely to speak English you picked the one that doubles up as a derogatory term for people with Downs Syndrome...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Galvasean wrote: »
    Call me a Doubting Thomas, but of all the nationalities in the world that are unlikely to speak English you picked the one that doubles up as a derogatory term for people with Downs Syndrome...
    You can't doubt what I say, that's intolerant.
    An unfortunate choice in retrospect - I chose a generic central Asian country because I figured they have the least contact with English (given Russian influence; turns out that Russian is being displaced by English as a second language there after looking into it though. Figures). If I had intended slang use I probably wouldn't have capitalised it. Moreover 'mongol' to refer to Down's syndrome specifically is a bit weird to me. I'd heard 'mongloid' (and 'Downie') before but 'mongol' is a bit Genghis Khan-y.

I don't think it really makes sense if its an insult; seems like it'd be unmotivated both in the need for an insult and the injection of Down's Syndrome into it.

Deithe diabh*.

*Or is it dhiabh? My Irish is atrocious.

You're better than me
    I stand corrected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

You're better than me
    I stand corrected

daoibh is the standard spelling. I would say dhaoibh, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

You can't doubt what I say, that's intolerant.
    An unfortunate choice in retrospect - I chose a generic central Asian country because I figured they have the least contact with English (given Russian influence; turns out that Russian is being displaced by English as a second language there after looking into it though. Figures). If I had intended slang use I probably wouldn't have capitalised it. Moreover 'mongol' to refer to Down's syndrome specifically is a bit weird to me. I'd heard 'mongloid' (and 'Downie') before but 'mongol' is a bit Genghis Khan-y.

I don't think it really makes sense if its an insult; seems like it'd be unmotivated both in the need for an insult and the injection of Down's Syndrome into it.

Fair enough, I can see how I misinterpreted what you were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Just say the Irish for hello? That's what I do sometimes (but I don't mind saying Dia Dhuit- it's just a meaningless expression for me like other English words that originate from archaic religions). Hello is "hallo" or "haigh" btw :)

Advertisement