Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dia Duit: Any alternative

Options
  • 21-11-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

It occured to me one day in an Irish class (I'm in TY / 4th Year) that seeing 'Dia Duit' translates into 'God be with you', that there might be a more appropriate phrase that an atheist could use to greet people in Irish? Something better than Eolaíocht Duit! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,821 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

It occured to me one day in an Irish class (I'm in TY / 4th Year) that seeing 'Dia Duit' translates into 'God be with you', that there might be a more appropriate phrase that an atheist could use to greet people in Irish? Something better than Eolaíocht Duit! :D

Maybe something along the lines of "Beannachti duit" (greetings to you)

Although better translated, spelled properly, and not crap :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some suggestions here

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Try "Hello" .... <starts long rant about Irish being a dead language that is practiced as little more than a hobby by anyone outside the gaeltacht> :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Aaaaallllllrrrrriigh buds, conas the f*ckin ta tu?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Do bear in mind that "'bye" is short for "goodbye," which is in turn short for "god be with you" (via "god b'w'ye"). Sometimes words move away from their connotations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Zombrex wrote: »
    Try "Hello" .... <starts long rant about Irish being a dead language that is practiced as little more than a hobby by anyone outside the gaeltacht> :P

Archaic language... archaic notion of God. I like it!
    Do bear in mind that "'bye" is short for "goodbye," which is in turn short for "god be with you" (via "god b'w'ye"). Sometimes words move away from their connotations.

Like how nobody really cares that Thursday is "Thor's day".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

La maith/ maidin maith

or

Cen sceal?

(can't do fadas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

'ard' no 'tobair'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Maybe something along the lines of "Beannachti duit" (greetings to you)

Although better translated, spelled properly, and not crap :pac:

The problem is that "beannacht" doesn't mean "greeting". It means "blessing". Aer Lingus is forever getting on my wick by bestowing the blessings of God on me, for which I pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'm assuming that before the days of the catholic chruch there must have been a greeting in Irish other than dia duit? Or maybe it has always been dia duit but back in the day it was a different dia they were refering to? (please excuse the use of the term back in the day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I'm assuming that before the days of the catholic chruch there must have been a greeting in Irish other than dia duit? Or maybe it has always been dia duit but back in the day it was a different dia they were refering to? (please excuse the use of the term back in the day)

One suspects that the vertically integrated set of national values post independence (that included both the Irish language and the catholic church) ended up strongly favouring the more religious greetings that found their way into all of our schoolbooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

La maith/ maidin maith

or

Cen sceal?

(can't do fadas)

ctrl + alt + vowel

Hold them all down together. If that doesn't work, you may have to change the language of your computer to IR :)

Although sometimes it's easier to say you can't do fadas than to get them over the right vowels!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭_GOD_

Go raibh grainneóg a chead chac eile agat.

May your next ****e be a hedgehog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

La maith/ maidin maith

or

Cen sceal?

(can't do fadas)

maidin mhaith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I find "May your haemeroids shrink without surgery" works in any language.

_GOD_ wrote: »
    Go raibh grainneóg a chead chac eile agat.

May your next ****e be a hedgehog

Go raibh gráinneog mar an gcéad chac eile agat

makes a bit more sense :) Yours is pretty garbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Gumbi wrote: »

Phew, good thing you cleared it up, we wouldn't want them confused or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Focail suas?

Zillah wrote: »
    Phew, good thing you cleared it up, we wouldn't want them confused or anything.

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Sarky wrote: »
    Focail suas?

Focail suas, Madra Baile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

<off-topic>
    maidin mhaith

This. This is what I hated most about learning Irish - you could never be sure that you'd got it right. There was always the chance that an urú or seibhiú or tuiseal something-or-other was involved. And I was pretty good at it. Anyhow, I am proud to speak the language of my forefathers: English :-)

</off-topic>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Go raibh leanaí bhlasta agat.

swampgas wrote: »
    <off-topic>

This. This is what I hated most about learning Irish - you could never be sure that you'd got it right. There was always the chance that an urú or seibhiú or tuiseal something-or-other was involved. And I was pretty good at it. Anyhow, I am proud to speak the language of my forefathers: English :-)

</off-topic>
    :D It's just like English, many of the same grammatical rules apply. You just don't know you're using them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Focail suas, Madra Baile.

Sean scoil! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

In reference to Galvasean's post:

-the month March is named after Mars, the Roman god of war
    -January is named after Janus, the two-faced Roman god
    -May is after the Greek goddess Maia
    -June: Roman goddess Juno
    -Bear also in mind that the final few months of the year (September, October, November, December) are all named after where they used to come in the old calenders (September used to be the seventh month, October the eighth month and so on)

Words and language are fluid things and the meanings and expressions change with time.

As for the Dia dhuit issue, whenever I'd use Irish (not that often anymore), my opening greeting is Conas atá? or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ah the other subject I hated in school and was forced to participate in. You could use the only sentence I took out of it after 13 years "Ní thigim" (the irony will not be lost if that's spelt wrong)

swampgas wrote: »
    <off-topic>

</off-topic>

ya must be a blow in to West Cork so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Being proud of the fact that you speak English is like being proud that you can walk, it only make sense in contexts that most likely don't apply to you. I may be wrong however as you might be a Mongol with muscular dystrophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

ya must be a blow in to West Cork so

Yep.

I can speak passable Irish, but what frustrated me at school was how picky the grammar is. That was my point, really. And I don't think West Cork is full of people speaking Irish fluently, without any errors like those seen earlier in the thread.

Irish grammar is unnecessarily convoluted, IMO, and could do with a bit of a clean up.

Anyhow, miles off topic now ...

Advertisement