Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who claim to be 'spiritual'

Options
  • 20-11-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Are they just kidding themselves? Anyone I know who says they aren't religious 'But I'm a very spiritual person' seems to think its a kind of a get out of jail free card for rejecting religion. Like, they don't want to be associated with an organised religion, but want to feel like there's something more to life. Is it not just wishy-washy and make-up? Seems like its covering your arse just in case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'm spiritual. What does liking the odd vodka have to do with religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

lazygal wrote: »
    Are they just kidding themselves? Anyone I know who says they aren't religious 'But I'm a very spiritual person' seems to think its a kind of a get out of jail free card for rejecting religion. Like, they don't want to be associated with an organised religion, but want to feel like there's something more to life. Is it not just wishy-washy and make-up? Seems like its covering your arse just in case.

I would fall into this category. Im not big into organised religion but I do believe in a higher power therefore I am a spiritual person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

In my opinion a spiritual person is someone who doesn't believe in God but prays for Ireland to score in the last few minutes of a game. Just on the off chance like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd say it's more to do with the fact you've had religion pounded into you since school, and a fear of the rejection of god.

It can be a hard thing to think of for some people, that possibly this is it, all there is. Spirituality is a nice comfort zone where detached old men don't get to tell you what to do while you you still get the benefits.

To be honest, virtually every person who is religious outside of the hard fundimentalists do this anyway- it's amazing how god doesn't REALLY mind the things you like to do, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

This is what was being advertised to me on this page. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I think if it gives people comfort to get through tough things, why not?

Whether its praying to god, their dead granny or aliens, if it seems to help, best of luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Frederica Beauregard

Anyone I know who says they aren't religious 'But I'm a very spiritual person' seems to think its a kind of a get out of jail free card for rejecting religion. Like, they don't want to be associated with an organised religion, but want to feel like there's something more to life. Is it not just wishy-washy and make-up? Seems like its covering your arse just in case.

Someone could only be described as "covering their arse" if they said they believed in a religion. Being just spiritual couldn't be described as that, as there are no touted penalties for someone not being spiritual at the point of death, in the way as some religions claim that there are for those not believing in one religion or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

To me, it means they know they're being stupid but just can't help themselves...

Sleepy wrote: »
    To me, it means they know they're being stupid but just can't help themselves...

Like you knowing that you're being obnoxious but can't help yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I cant blame people for not choosing an organised religion. The lies, false teachings and hyprocrisy associated with a lot of religous organisations is enough to turn anyone off

• Advertisement

Like you knowing that you're being obnoxious but can't help yourself?
    Exactly.

TBH, I don't care if my opinions on religion are considered obnoxious, it's a far more offensive thing to consider religion as being worthy of respect imo. Me being obnoxious causes the world very little harm. Self-delusion on such a grand scale as we see with religious beliefs, whether organised or not, in the kindest light possible is a vast misallocation of human potential. In harsher light, it's been the cause of wars, genocide, the hoarding of wealth that could end world hunger, etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because being "spiritual" requires the minimum amount of effort. You're brought up to believe in God, but you find that the way you want to live your life is incompatible with the way that the church wants you to live your life.
    However, as with most things taught from birth, you have difficulty questioning it or reassessing it, so the way to continue living your life with minimal disruption and mental effort is to reject the church and declare yourself "spiritual".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I completely believe that there is a God, But I'm not thick enough to take my teachings from another human, why should I ? God or our creator gave us the capacity to think, To think for yourself.

And is it thinking for yourself to accept the unlikely existence of an omnipotent creator of which we have no evidence that has been foisted upon you since childhood?

Or would thinking about it for yourself force you to accept something humanity seems to have such a hard time admitting that we'll waste entire lives in devotion to fantasy deities: that we neither know nor understand where any of us came from or how this universe came to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I hate the word 'spiritual'. It always seems to come from the mouth of someone who has rejected Christianity and picked up a mix of Buddhism, power crystals, angels, tarot, ghosts and other nonsense. And they always want to tell you all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Depends on what you believe a spiritual person to be.
    A spiritual person is synonymous with being a person whose highest priority is to be loving to oneself and others. A spiritual person cares about people, animals, and the planet. A spiritual person knows that we are all One, and consciously attempts to honor this Oneness. A spiritual person is a kind person.

I don't think any of these qualities mean they must be religious or believe in a god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Just wondering, why do you care? Or is it just a pet peeve?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Exactly.

TBH, I don't care if my opinions on religion are considered obnoxious, it's a far more offensive thing to consider religion as being worthy of respect imo.

That's not what you said in your first post. We're not talking about religion or being religious and neither were you.

You inferred that people who say they were spiritual, were "being stupid" - reread your post if you need clarification of what you typed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its the modern day equivelant to Pascal's Wager.

Personally I feel the whole spirituality concept to be a load of nonsense.

I find it more liberating to accept the fact that were are biological beings that will someday expire.

When we're gone we're gone and thats it.

If you have the freedom of thought to accept that, you'll live a more fulfilling life in the present rather than living in the hope that you'll get to live another life after this one.

Lapin wrote: »
    If you have the freedom of thought to accept that, you'll live a more fulfilling life in the present rather than living in the hope that you'll get to live another life after this one.
    Not even that, I'd find it very stressful to think that there are ethereal forces which exist which intelligently guide our fate and decide on a whim whether we'll have a good day or bad day.

That's just going to make you stressed because when stuff goes to ****, you'll feel like you're being picked on.

If you accept that there are no intelligent forces messing with your fate, and that everything which happens is just a result of plain old chance, then it's much easier to roll with the punches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

lukesmom wrote: »
    I do believe in a higher power therefore I am a spiritual person.

What makes you believe in a higher power? I've heard lots of people believing in this higher power. What form do you think it takes? If you mean a creator, then why not say so? Is using the term 'higher power' a way to distance yourself from religion yet believe in god?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Like, they don't want to be associated with an organised religion, but want to feel like there's something more to life.

The monsters :mad:

Seriously though... why would you give a damn whether or not somebody wants to believe that stuff? Does it negatively impact you in any way? I don't get it myself, but nor do I get why people become so worked up over the beliefs of others. Both are as stupid as each other.

Lapin wrote: »

Someone can not do both, no?

I know many people who would consider themselves to be spiritual and not indoctrinated to any religion and yet they all seem to be living fulfilling lives, not holding back just because of what they feel is to come.

On the contrary, I think the notion that there is nothing more to life that what we have here and now would be far more likely to be life tempering.

I mean, if you were in the pub having a few pints, wouldn't you enjoy them more knowing that you going clubbing afterwards? I know I would.

No, I don't think there is a nightclub in the sky. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

charlemont wrote: »
    I completely believe that there is a God, But I'm not thick enough to take my teachings from another human, why should I ? God or our creator gave us the capacity to think, To think for yourself.
    Funnily enough, without taking the teachings of other human beings thru the years you would have no evidence or belief in your god as there is no other frame of reference for his existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

It's funny how some people assume that anybody who believes in a higher power is some sense brainwashed. Precisely the same thing can be said of those that unquestioningly take on board the unproven assumptions from which naturalism and scientism spring. What you consider 'evidence' is very much dependent upon what you initially set out to search for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You should pop into the spirituality forum. Full of reiki healers and healing crystal malarkey.

It continually amazes me that in this day and age, with the knowledge available to us that people believe in that kind of bull.

In regards to 'being spiritual', well if you're not the new age hippy type it's just a cop out from organised religion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Priori wrote: »
    What you consider 'evidence' is very much dependent upon what you initially set out to search for.

Actually, that's the exact opposite of the scientific method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Angeles wrote: »
    Depends on what you believe a spiritual person to be.
    I don't think any of these qualities mean they must be religious or believe in a god.
    Exactly. I don't believe in god in the traditional sense but I still wonder whether there is other stuff going on out there beyond the realm we occupy. Sometimes there are patterns that are too regular and consistent to be coincidence.

What you consider 'evidence' is very much dependent upon what you initially set out to search for.
    You misunderstand science. Science finds evidence and then draws conclusions. It doesn't come to conclusions and then look for evidence.

In fact doing the latter will result in your science being binned and laughed at. Which is why people who know science, laugh at religions who try to be scientific about it.

I love this new-agey "science is just another kind of faith", nonsense. First learn what science is before you call it a faith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It's funny how some people assume that anybody who believes in a higher power is some sense brainwashed. Precisely the same thing can be said of those that unquestioningly take on board the unproven assumptions from which naturalism and scientism spring. What you consider 'evidence' is very much dependent upon what you initially set out to search for.

.... and there was me thinking scientism was a makey-uppey word ! But it actually is a word !!!! You learn something new every day.

By the way you obviously don't understand the scientific method if you use the word "unquestioningly" in the same sentence.

Advertisement