Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding hands in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I never did it with any bf, I just didn't feel the need or the urge. Even back in my naive "straight" days in university, I didn't even hold hands with my girlfriend. The PDAs just didn't do it for me. Saying that, I like holding hands while on the couch watching a movie etc, but I just don't see the need for it in public. Whenever my ex used to walk me to my car or the bus, we would hug, but not kiss.... We used to kiss on nights out, but only in certain bars. For those of you that know Galway, we had no bother kissing in the likes of the Roisin Dubh, or Massimos, or anywhere around Dominic Street. Probably because we don't see any threat of hassle from the indie community! We would never kiss in the likes of the Front Door for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I always notice two guys holding hands on the street!

I look because I think to myself, I want what they have:D

I've never had a serious relationship and I really want a proper boyfriend to hold hands with.

so you never know why people stare!!! Just keep yer heads high and keep walkin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Funnily enough, I saw my first gay couple (two men) holding hands at my local bus stop. Unfortunately, I did double take. But I didn't mean it in a bad way. It was more out of admiration.

While I am not a fan of PDA, I'm an affectionate guy and I think it's great that same sex couples do show it regardless of what others might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

I'm all for holding hands but not sure I'd be arsed with the unwanted attention so more than likely I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so in certain areas of the city.

Only last week I saw a European-looking guy couple holding hands on Parnell St., yes Parnell St. of all places! Brave men! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tito Man!

I remember one night getting a look from a woman as I walked along with my boyfriend. We had been holding hands, and we stopped for a quick hug. Just spontaneous.

We didn't think anyone else was around. But as we parted, there was a woman looking at us. She was in her 40's, I'd guess. But what we got was a warm, friendly smile before she walked on. It was a look that said "Well, good for you two".

That said, sometimes it's not all friendly.

But I remember before I came out, I would often stare at or look at two guys holding hands. And feeling a real sense of longing and sadness. That was what I wanted. And I felt sure I would never get it.

Thankfully, I was wrong. :)

• Advertisement

Tito Man! wrote: »
    But I remember before I came out, I would often stare at or look at two guys holding hands. And feeling a real sense of longing and sadness. That was what I wanted. And I felt sure I would never get it.

When you say that, that resonates with me. I get that feeling when I see any couple holding hands. It's nice to see; unlike people eating each others faces off for everyone to see :eek:. Ah sure you never know what's around the corner. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

Me and the other half were walking on wicklow street a few months back and got abuse of some drunkard (at about 7 or 8 pm).
    Unfortunately we still have a long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I don't care who's tall/short/fat/thin/gay/straight whatever, if your nice to me I'll be nice back. But please save the PDAs until you get home, there's nothing more annoying that seeing Adam and Eve/Steve swapping spit while Im eating lunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Personally I find it a little awkward when I see anybody kissing on the street or in public places. Think of the children, won't someone please think of the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

matTNT wrote: »
    Personally I find it a little awkward when I see anybody kissing on the street or in public places. Think of the children, won't someone please think of the children!

This is a bit ridiculous to be honest - children see affection all the time - what is the reason for hiding it from them?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I love seeing PDA's. There is enough ****e in the world and its great to see people who are happy and loved up. I've seen plenty of same sex couples holding hands in Dublin city before and don't recall any negative reactions so hopefully its nothing you need to worry about. Enjoy it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Walker77

I can recall some time ago when I was in my early twenties meeting two beauties holding hand and loving every minute of it. it was a lovely summers night and I felt so jealous of them and often thought of them afterwards. Its the loveliest thing no matter who is doing it. To me its the next best thing you can do in public after kissing not snogging. I'll never forget how happy they looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

Walker77 wrote: »
    I can recall some time ago when I was in my early twenties meeting two beauties holding hand and loving every minute of it. it was a lovely summers night and I felt so jealous of them and often thought of them afterwards. Its the loveliest thing no matter who is doing it. To me its the next best thing you can do in public after kissing not snogging. I'll never forget how happy they looked.

This thread is bringing out everyones soft side! :p

This thread is bringing out everyones soft side! :p

Well yeah I dunno I think I showed my harsh side. I do that waaaaay too much on this forum O:-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Well yeah I dunno I think I showed my harsh side. I do that waaaaay too much on this forum O:-)

Needs to be done sometimes, in fairness!!! :D

DazMarz wrote: »
    Needs to be done sometimes, in fairness!!! :D

Well sometimes....

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I don't care who's tall/short/fat/thin/gay/straight whatever, if your nice to me I'll be nice back. But please save the PDAs until you get home, there's nothing more annoying that seeing Adam and Eve/Steve swapping spit while Im eating lunch!

I reckon there must be something missing in your life if the sight of two people kissing can put you off your lunch.

They are happy out, and if it bothers you so much adjust your field of view by a few degrees. It ain't that hard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yuck! Hate PDA's, my cousin and her BF are the worst having tickle fights, holding hands, kissing and all the like in front of the whole family when we'er in the sitting room! It just makes everyone awkward and makes me want to vom ! Every time he calls her "babe" i die a little bit. Please keep all this for your own personal time! We dont want to see it! I will never be like that, I have promised myself! Turns my stomach ! :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Agree 100%

floggg wrote: »
    I reckon there must be something missing in your life if the sight of two people kissing can put you off your lunch.

They are happy out, and if it bothers you so much adjust your field of view by a few degrees. It ain't that hard.

There's nothing missing in my life, I assure you. I disagree that all kissing couples are happy out, I think there may be some insecurity in the relationship if they need to publicly prove how much in love they are.

Im sure there's exceptions, but that's just my POV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

There's nothing missing in my life, I assure you. I disagree that all kissing couples are happy out, I think there may be some insecurity in the relationship if they need to publicly prove how much in love they are.

Im sure there's exceptions, but that's just my POV.

Ah here now...I don't think there's anything wrong with you not being a fan of PDA's. I certainly don't think there's anything "missing in your life".

But to think everybody who engages in PDA does it for insecure reasons is just plain stupid.

I doubt a fella thinks "oh I'm in public, I'll have to kiss my bf/gf now to let everybody know". I'm pretty sure they do it because they enjoy the intimacy and just don't want to wait until they're in a more private place.

floggg wrote: »

Maybe some people just consider affection towards a partner a private manner that should be between two people. It might sound weird to many people, but some people may value love/affection this way. In a way, it makes it more special*

God, this thread is making me so mushy. Not cool guys :o
    But to think everybody who engages in PDA does it for insecure reasons is just plain stupid.

I don't agree. But, I would agree that some couples might do it for insecure reasons to show they are happy when they are otherwise. But, anybody can put on appearances.

Ah here now...I don't think there's anything wrong with you not being a fan of PDA's. I certainly don't think there's anything "missing in your life".

I doubt a fella thinks "oh I'm in public, I'll have to kiss my bf/gf now to let everybody know". I'm pretty sure they do it because they enjoy the intimacy and just don't want to wait until they're in a more private place.

Yeah that kinda came out wrong. I didn't mean everybody, but I do associate needing a hug or kiss off your partner right away, regardless if your in a public place as being needy. Possibly not in a pub/nightclub where people do go to pull, but definitely on the bus/shopping centre etc etc

there's nothing more annoying that seeing Adam and Eve/Steve swapping spit while Im eating lunch!

Then simply do not look. There are lots of things I do not want to see while "eating lunch" too such as those over weight cyclists poured into tight lyrca cycling gear. When such people walk in however I realise it is I, not they, with the problem so I simply stop looking in that direction and continue on with my meal and my life.

There is no onus on them to pander to what you do or do not want to see. It is entirely on you to simply stop looking. I hear the same mentality as yours on all kinds of threads like - for example - breast feeding threads where the "I do not want to see it while I am eating so you have to stop" mentality comes out in force.

If your sensibilities are so easily offended by the perfectly fine and normal acts of others - that you are put off eating food - then I simply question the wisdom of deciding to eat in public at all.
    I think there may be some insecurity in the relationship if they need to publicly prove how much in love they are.

You are assuming that because they are doing it in public that they are doing it for the benefit of that public. Not sure that assumption is grounded in fact at all. They are doing for the benefit of each other and they are doing it when and where it feels right for them.
    I do associate needing a hug or kiss off your partner right away, regardless if your in a public place as being needy.

It is not about being needy because of the location they are in. It is about the location they are in being entirely irrelevant at all. They do it when and where it feels like the right moment - and thats it. The fact they are at a bus stop does not enter into the calculation. It does for YOU - and hence you assume it does for them - and that assumption is leading you to a false conclusion as to their emotional state while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

deuve82 wrote: »
    and no problems! Well, some looks from unknown people and a pair of honks, but I don´t give a s***
    honks? as in white people? lol.

on topic, i would encourage everone to hold hands with your better half, squeeze, lover etc and fook the nay sayers. life is extremely fragile and extremely short so soak up all the love and happiness you can

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tito Man!

life is extremely fragile and extremely short so soak up all the love and happiness you can

Sums it up beautifully. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

But please save the PDAs until you get home, there's nothing more annoying that seeing Adam and Eve/Steve swapping spit while Im eating lunch!

I think there's nothing more beautiful.
    It's an abandoned display of the better part of our human nature and always puts a smile on my face to see two people care about each other.

Advertisement