Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help/advice please

Options
  • 18-11-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi everyone,
    I just need some advice, hopefully someone can help me.
    I have been with my girlfriend for over 11 years since I was 19. I have lived with her 10 and a half of those years. She is the nicest and sexiest person i've meet in my life but today she has told me that our love has gone past love and she now feels we are best friends. I still feel more in love with her from the moment i've met her and i will always feel this way.
    She basically doesn't love me anymore.

Is there any hope for me as every second my heart feels like it's going to break a bit more.

Thanks for any advice in advance

This is my story each day as I start life on my own.

hownottomanup.blogspot.com
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

Hi there,

I am very sorry you are going through this difficult time. Getting to the point, usually there are signs when a relationship is changing. Some of these are, dont have sex as often, frequency of kissing decreases, stopping doing things together. Have you noticed anything like this ? In terms of what can you do about it ?

You need to talk to ur lady and find out why she feels like this ? Be open honest and straight with her!

Irish Lost wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I just need some advice, hopefully someone can help me.
    I have been with my girlfriend for over 11 years since I was 19. I have lived with her 10 and a half of those years. She is the nicest and sexiest person i've meet in my life but today she has told me that our love has gone past love and she now feels we are best friends. I still feel more in love with her from the moment i've met her and i will always feel this way.
    She basically doesn't love me anymore.

Is there any hope for me as every second my heart feels like it's going to break a bit more.

Thanks for any advice in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Irish Lost

Hi Dad11,
    Thanks for replying, we never had sex as much as I wanted and it was something that I kinda had to come to terms with, that she wasn't as sexual as me but to be honest I would do anything as long as it made her happy.
    She was always loving and we kissed about 40 times minimum a day (no lie).

You might be right with the sex thing, this has just happened me so I'm still learning what went wrong.
    Is there anyway of rekinldling everything if she does decide to give it a try,

PS she is my first sexual experience ever and still the only one so i could be a bit ****...............arrrghhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 summerlucey

Hello,
    This must be a difficult time for you. First of all you're calling her your girlfriend - perhaps shes hinting for a ring - you'd want to be showing her a bit of commitment after 11 years! I know i would be anyway. I strongly believe what you put into a relationship you get out of it. Perhaps you've been taking your relationship for granted and presume she'd always be there. Maybe this is a warning and you just need to spice things up a bit - surprise her, try something new, break out of a boring routine. Did ye ever talk about the future? Count yourself lucky she had the decency to tell you so you have a chance to make more of an effort. I would appreciate her honesty.

The other side to it is - you were young enough when you first went out, perhaps your relationship has run its course? Are you only saying you really love her so much because theres a fear its over? We all want something more when we cant have it.

If you think theres still hope you gotta fight for it and basically prove to her your worth keeping basically. It is possible though to fall outta love with somebody though..... Saying that i hope you can work through this. Best of luck

Thanks for the reply,
    I believe we have I have put everthing into the realtionship but maybe we spend too much time together, i have always wanted to get married to her but she tells me if i went down on one knee, she kick me in the balls as she see's it as a waste of money but I think your right i need to fight and if there's a chance of it working, i need to try and make it work better.

I'm still calling her my girlfriend as we live together in our house and she's asleep in bed after telling me this tonight.

Thanks for the advice

That can def be a downfall spending too much time together. You really need to stir things up a bit. Does your gf want to have children - she cant be that young if ye'r together 11 yrs. Like whats her plan? No marriage? No kids? Not as much sex as you'd like? Perhaps this girl has done you a favour - shes even after falling asleep after telling you such an upsetting thing. I know id be crying anyway even if i was the one telling my partner as it should be a difficult thing to say. Is she faithful well that you know of? Dont criticise yourself just because shes your first sexual partner - that has nothing to do with it. You need to question yourself and actually find out what exactly is it that draws you to this girl? Has it all just become a bit of a habit being in a relationship with her and saves you the bother of finding someone new? Perhaps start with a little break and see how you get on without each other. Go have some fun and hopefully find someone that appreciates you.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest, I would never be able to love anyone else. She did fall asleep crying and she is faithful to my knowledge and I do trust her. I just hope this works out as I won't be doing this again, I've given too much and couldn't face this again.
    She looks a lot younger than her age, she's 32, and maybe by me trying to please her and go with the flow that I've made things boring for. She has said she doesnt know if there's a chance of making it work, i see this as still a chance #optimistic

I so hope that I can make this work as all faith in love and life will be lost to me

You have it bad. Id say shes bored. Spice things up. Go to Ibiza on hols or somewhere lively! Even to Dublin city and book into a hotel for a night. Ye need to create a life for ye'rselves outside each other and perhaps ye'l appreciate each other more then

thanks, i just hope she is willing to try and give it another go. We do spend most of our time together but i love every second of it, This is the worst day in my life so far, i hope this is a tunnel with a light at the end or even a flashlight half way through it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'll start with an honest assessment: on the basis of what you have told us, it doesn't look too good for you. She would not have said something like that without believing it to be true. I'd like to be wrong.

It looks to me as if this is the first serious setback in your relationship - unless you have neglected to tell us about other difficulties, or perhaps even failed to take proper notice of problems. You should not give up on the basis of one setback, no matter how great it seems at the time. Hang in there and see if the situation might turn around. Please note how I expressed that last thought: you probably can not turn the situation around; you can't force her to love you. You can hope that what she now feels is a temporary thing, that something is happening in her psyche which might change.

Love changes over time. The dizzy excitement of new love does not generally last. It morphs into a calmer, more solid bond with major components of affection and friendship - but also with a special character that makes it different and more important than the relationships you have with other people in your life. But it can be less exciting.

Be gentle with her: she is having a bad time, too. Be accommodating: it would be wrong to guilt her in thinking she had to continue loving you. What you must hope for is that she find that she does really love you, but perhaps in a slightly different way.

How do you imagine it might play out if you separated for a while?

Hey,

This is our first time having any problem but she is the type of person that bottles things up and I'm the type the puts all my cards on the table.

If we had a break, it would crush me but I'm willing to do anything to save this, I just really hope that feels that there is a chance. I still believe there is a chance even though it might be very small but i'm willing to do anything.

Its just hard to be told that someone loves like a friend after so long together when I feel the same as the first day I met her.
    Even now I feel so lucky to wake up this person everyday, I so hope this isn't the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Of course you are willing to do whatever you can to save the relationship. The reality might be, however, that you cannot save it. As I said before, you cannot make somebody love you.

I'm not advocating that you take a break. I don't know you or her, so I am not in a position to judge what is right or wrong for you. That is why I put it in the form of a question. But take note of the language I used. I wrote of separating; you wrote of taking a break. The difference I see is this: if you separate for a while in order to review your relationship, there is an understanding that neither of you gets involved with other people; people often use the idea of being on a break as including a licence to pursue other liaisons. I believe that an 11 year relationship merits a bit more loyalty than is implied in such an idea of "taking a break".

You and she have a lot of talking to do. If she is the type who bottles things up, then it will be difficult for her. It won't be easy for you either, especially as your hope is that she will change her mind.

Another question: is it possible that you have been suffocating her with your love?

hey,
    Its possible but it's hard not to love her so much.

I need to change something as she see's us like friends but this was not the case for the last 10 and a half years

I am finding it hard to comprehend this, mzybe i'm just a fool

Thanks for your reply

Some space has been agreed, I can just wait and hope now.
    Say a prayer for me if you feel inclined.

Thanks for all the comments

Day 1 - Of Being Alone

****ty day so far, cried uncontrollably 3 times in my work enviroment, no one seen this but I'm sure I looked ****ed up afterwards.:(

On the positive side, I got out of bed, got dressed and went to work:D
    Negative side is I can't masturbate due to my uncontrollable crying.:o

When the hell do I man up:mad:

Summary - I feel very numb and lost:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

have you ever tried posting a letter to her.I know u both live together, mail or message is a quick option but letter works wonders,not a love letter but ur true feelings and how this has made u realize that mere feeling of losing her love has tightened ur belts to impress her again and that u will win her heart again from the beginning.Everything will turn into a new game for both of u.Trust me on this.
    I had a same situation.I am a girl and I said the same thing to my partner a year ago.we have spent 8 years together now.He just swallowed it without reacting or crying or anything, he created a little gap between us but not in a bad way, instead motivated me doing something new and mentioning his long lost hobbies and knowing mine.We found out that we both had some common hobbies which were suppressed long ago.sport activities together once a fortnight may be a bit helpful.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Me Tilty

Day 1 - Of Being Alone

****ty day so far, cried uncontrollably 3 times in my work enviroment, no one seen this but I'm sure I looked ****ed up afterwards.:(

On the positive side, I got out of bed, got dressed and went to work:D
    Negative side is I can't masturbate due to my uncontrollable crying.:o

When the hell do I man up:mad:

Summary - I feel very numb and lost:confused:
    Why do you feel the need to masturbate if you are crying so much?

This happens during no further detail is required.....

have you ever tried posting a letter to her.I know u both live together, mail or message is a quick option but letter works wonders,not a love letter but ur true feelings and how this has made u realize that mere feeling of losing her love has tightened ur belts to impress her again and that u will win her heart again from the beginning.Everything will turn into a new game for both of u.Trust me on this.
    I had a same situation.I am a girl and I said the same thing to my partner a year ago.we have spent 8 years together now.He just swallowed it without reacting or crying or anything, he created a little gap between us but not in a bad way, instead motivated me doing something new and mentioning his long lost hobbies and knowing mine.We found out that we both had some common hobbies which were suppressed long ago.sport activities together once a fortnight may be a bit helpful.

I really like the idea of a letter, I'll try that. Thanks

I decided to do a blog of each day as I start life on my own. Its at this address, I never did this type of stuff before but it might help me to write things down.

I decided to do a blog of each day as I start life on my own. Its at this address, I never did this type of stuff before but it might help me to write things down.

What if she sees your blog? What then ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I would personally strongly advise you to keep your blog private if you are using it as a means of self-help. To an outsider, it doesn't paint you in a terribly good light.

Humour is my way of dealing with things, but being afraid of what other people think of has never been a fear of mine.

I thank you for your advice though

Me Tilty wrote: »
    What if she sees your blog? What then ?

Sure what if she does, I doubt she will but I have no sense of embarressment, I lost it in nam:D

Sure what if she does, I doubt she will but I have no sense of embarressment, I lost it in nam:D
    But you life over the past number of years would then be in jeopardy

But you life over the past number of years would then be in jeopardy

I don't think it would be, it's just about how I'm feeling, put in an unusual way. I have to be me too, but thanks a million for advice

I don't think it would be, it's just about how I'm feeling, put in an unusual way. I have to be me too, but thanks a million for advice
    Yes but private things should be done privately

Yes but private things should be done privately

I think it's down to the individual, I don't know what else to do so I do. This is very hard for me

I think it's down to the individual, I don't know what else to do so I do. This is very hard for me
    The letter idea seemed good and it can be done privately in a private manner

The letter idea seemed good and it can be done privately in a private manner

Im going to do the letter idea, I think it's more personal so I'll let you know how I get on

• Advertisement

Im going to do the letter idea, I think it's more personal so I'll let you know how I get on
    Where is she living now? Do you have an address to post it to ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement