Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If time travel were possible ... well then answer me this boards!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

it depends on whether time follows the Back to the future rules or the terminator rules.

BTTF: you're fraked

Ter: it will change the course of the future but not affect you, though you'll be stuck in this alternate timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Melt your brains over this! :pac:

If a person went back 5 years and killed their younger self. What would happen? By the younger version dying there would be no older version. No older version means its impossible to kill your younger self :pac: or is there? lol.

yeah. am bored. sue me.

Stupid question. Not because of the inherent stupidity of said question, but because of the inherent stupidity of posing such a question without establishing the mechanics of time travel and the relevant elasticity of causality in relation to the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Stupid question. Not because of the inherent stupidity of said question, but because of the inherent stupidity of posing such a question without establishing the mechanics of time travel and the relevant elasticity of causality in relation to the question.

Parameters are your own to assume or invent and then outline, that's kind of what the whole game is, as far as I gather. So make your own assumptions and go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You are only you in the present. Going back in time and killing the you you were then has no effect at all on the you you are now.

It would be no different to you going back in time and killing a ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Shryke wrote: »
    Parameters are your own to assume or invent and then outline, that's kind of what the whole game is, as far as I gather. So make your own assumptions and go with them.

In that case I am going with my usual view, if you went back in time and killed yourself then the past you would be dead, the you that had been about to travel rather slowly through time from Point X (death of young you) to Point X1 (the moment that you actually travel back in time) never exists and the future you (the one that traveled backwards from Point X1) is fine, because you removed yourself from the effects your own actions by effectively stepping outside of time. You won't just cease to exist but you will have memories of a personal history that never actually happened for anyone else who is included in said memories, because you never actually had those experiences as far as anyone else who is moving from Point X to Point X1 is concerned.

I think once you are outside the timeline you would largely be safe from any repercussions based on what you actually do, if not, you would travel back in time to kill yourself, do it, then never be able to travel back in time to kill yourself and pop back into existence, go back in time and kill yourself...etc etc.

The universe can't be so fragile that it gets stuck in a loop because one dumbass (in this hypothetical situation the dumbass would be me obviously) worked out time travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

In that case Repercussions ya mama.

Ow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

In that case I am going with my usual view, if you went back in time and killed yourself then the past you would be dead, the you that had been about to travel rather slowly through time from Point X (death of young you) to Point X1 (the moment that you actually travel back in time) never exists and the future you (the one that traveled backwards from Point X1) is fine, because you removed yourself from the effects your own actions by effectively stepping outside of time. You won't just cease to exist but you will have memories of a personal history that never actually happened for anyone else who is included in said memories, because you never actually had those experiences as far as anyone else who is moving from Point X to Point X1 is concerned.

I think once you are outside the timeline you would largely be safe from any repercussions based on what you actually do, if not, you would travel back in time to kill yourself, do it, then never be able to travel back in time to kill yourself and pop back into existence, go back in time and kill yourself...etc etc.

The universe can't be so fragile that it gets stuck in a loop because one dumbass (in this hypothetical situation the dumbass would be me obviously) worked out time travel.

That's the brunt of an alternate reality scenario then. There's nothing to say that the original reality stops because you are removed from it. That would be a bit much. If you can go as far as considering that then there is little assumption in an alternate reality continuing whatever change our changes are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Yes, OP, I watched 'Looper' as well.

Btw, the answer to your question is 42.

Advertisement