Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lot more to holland than hookers and hash

Options
  • 17-11-2012 11:33pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been over in Holland (or, more correctly, the Netherlands) - in Irish, Isiltir, and I've been away from Amsterdam and all its superficial temptations. This is a lovely country - more conservative than Amsterdam but the Dutch are very friendly although surprisingly few of them have ever been on our shores.

Basically, my point is that it is possible to enjoy oneself in the land of windmills and dykes without getting stoned or having a quickie with a red light lady.

That is all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

JupiterKid wrote: »

Basically, my point is that it is possible to enjoy oneself in the land of windmills and dykes without getting stoned or having a quickie with a red light lady.

That is all...

Someone move this thread to the Conspiracy Theories forum please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

What did you do over there, JupiterKid?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Red Hand wrote: »
    Looked at wind mills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I lived in holland in the early nineties.Fukking loved it.Never spent money on hookers but did smoke hash and loved going to 24 hr raves.

Having lived there for over a year you do get to see more than what the op reckons most ppl see on a long weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

spent a month in holland in 2008 and its a lovely country ..people were all very friendly and the countryside is really peaceful.

plus the beer was cheap.. bought 24 bottles of beer in the shopsfor 5euro and when i took the empty bottles back i got almost 2euro in exchange....paying me to drink really :P

would love to go back again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

the Dutch ate very friendly.
    What makes them ate so friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Red Hand wrote: »

Looked at Dykes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That is all...

I could, but why avoid hash and hookers when i have a chance to have hash and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Been living here since 2007.

Great place ... TBH I'm not too keen on Amsterdam full of drunk Irish people looking to bang hookers and get stoned :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

I

That is all...

Ha! no its not.
    that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I went down to Rotterdam last time I went over just see the rest of the country. I spent my time marveling at their efficient public transport. I'm a big nerd though so I love massive public works like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My sister, nephew and niece all live over here. There's more to Holland than Amsterdam but the culture over here is rather different. They are football mad here and can drink to beat the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I saw Rush there twice.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah Man, the windmills are amazing, like. We sat there for hours and just watched them go around and around. and around.
    *giggles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Having lived there for over a year you do get to see more than what the op reckons most ppl see on a long weekend.

So you lived there for a year and therefore saw more of it.

That's logical bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's like seeing some parts of Ireland beyond Temple Bar.

There are some superb art galleries and museums.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I lived in The Hague for 10 years. Never liked Amsterdam, too many tourists. The Dutch people are great . The only problem I found was that they were a little too open minded, certianly in the late 80's early 90's. I had a great time. I never really bothered with the hash, I stuck to the beer. It was dirt cheap which was the problem :). I'm gald I came back home. I work for the Dutch department of a major company over here with people from the Netherlands. So I still use the lingo and speak with the Netherlands every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I went there, I found it all a bit flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

We should all head off to The Netherlands for youwhen the Gathering happens.
    That would teach them not send stupid postcards with Aran Jumper wearers on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

There's more to Holland than this...

I've been over in Holland (or, more correctly, the Netherlands) - in Irish, Isiltir, and I've been away from Amsterdam and all its superficial temptations. This is a lovely country - more conservative than Ansterdam but the Dutch ate very friendly although surprisingly few of them have ever been on our shores.

That is all...
    That Isiltir is a right goer - you're not the only lad she's been with, but it's bad form on your part bragging about it, and we all know she's Irish, she was known as the Rathgar Raleigh before she emigrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's a super country. Great people, great attitude. And I just love the look of it, I could wander around for hours over there just looking at the old parts of the cities. It's one place I could happily live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My Aunt lived in the Hague for 20 years until recently and is married to a dutch man so I have spent a lot of time over there on holidays. I love it.

Amazing museums, galleries, quirky shops and great beach at Scheveningen. Also loved travelling around the country to gorgeous towns like Utrecht and Delft. Had a great day at the Efftling Theme Park which is based around the Grimm Fairytales and has some amazing rollercoasters.

All in all been to the Netherlands numerous times and only went to Amsterdam 3 times to go to Anne Franks house, Amsterdam Arena and canal trips etc.

All cheques from the Dutch tourism board should be made out to Witchie please......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah Man, the windmills are amazing, like. We sat there for hours and just watched them go around and around. and around.
    *giggles*

Did you see the mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Delft is beautiful.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Looked at wind mills.
    Did you think they were giants and started fighting them op?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Utrecht, Delft and Maastricht all beautiful cities with loads to see and do. And you don't get people giving you look you get when you tell 'em you've been to Amsterdam

Utrecht, Delft and Maastricht all beautiful cities with loads to see and do. And you don't get people giving you look you get when you tell 'em you've been to Amsterdam
    Mastricht is a treaty all right, gets my vote every time. There's an awful lot of very tall folk over there as well, what's that about, diet or genetics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

Dont forget groningen ... great city

miss my hometown a bit ... ahh feck it Dingle is great too ;):D

Advertisement