Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords from hell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

later12 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant PPS number not signature. Not sure if she even has an address for the man. Definitely not paying his taxes.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if tax evasion on rental income increases when the rent relief scheme disappears as scheduled. Very short sighted move by the Govt, who will have to be reliant on landlords giving the correct info to the PRTB, i.e. taking their word for it.

PPS not essential. Nice to have but if he won't supply it, then you can't force him. Name address + contact number will suffice. You can if you wish attach a cover note detailing his refusal to provide his PPS. State how rent is being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

later12 wrote: »
    My sister is renting a property in Dublin where the landlord routinely enters without permission. He walked in on her last week while she was floating about in a bathtowel, apparently to do some work on the bathroom.

He also insists that the rent be collected in cash, for which purpose he lets himself into the apartment when she's not home, and refuses to sign her application for tax relief for Revenue. He won't even stick to a specific day when he's going to collect the rent; just strolls in when it suits him.

He even tried making her pay for the PRTB registration fee when she first moved in, obviously she told him to buzz off.

They have awful rows and she keeps telling him she's entitled to break the lease because of his behaviour; which of course she is, but the apartment is in a nice area and is a steal!

Tell your sister to get out of there pronto! The place is rigged with hidden cameras SURELY! :eek: I am serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just back guys pm's are on the way. I found out about the site from America and theres only a few Irish landlords rated on it. So fill in any info about any dodgy landlords to warn others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Just back guys pm's are on the way. I found out about the site from America and theres only a few Irish landlords rated on it. So fill in any info about any dodgy landlords to warn others.
    Include me and you're going in the boot of my Primera.:D No, really, you are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Count me in also for the PM please :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Be careful what you write on it though, there was a similar website for solicitors and everyone got sued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

lounakin wrote: »
    There should be an online site where people could review those landlords so that they'd have to make an effort to get tenants.

Yeah do we all remember ratemysolicitor.com such a website would be a hot bed for defamatory action

Why don't we as landlords have a website where we can review tenants from hell?? Same reason really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

A good system here in Austria, almost all rentals come with nothing.
    No kitchen, no bathroom, no appliances , nothing.
    You rent your walls and floor, ( relatively cheaply) the landlord takes a big deposit ( 5 months rent ( which goes into a secure high interest account which neither can touch, with the interest accrued going to the tenant) )
    You can do whatever you want in the apartment, but you must return it back how you found it - walls and floor.
    The landlord has no real rights, legally can not hold keys for the place and once the rent is decided by the financial index inflation guide.

People invest in their rentals here and it's perfectly normal to rent for life.

It's financially tough the first time with the big deposits and no appliances ( when I moved in there wasn't even light switches) but you invest a bit knowing you're pretty well protected.

Naturally, there's places to stay if you're a student or not long term with supplied furniture etc, but they are costlier.

Also, the government here make renting more appealing than buying, they have avoided any kind of recession or property boom, rents are kept artificially low, council housing is superb, it's unnappleing tax wise to buy to rent and banks will only give you a mortgage if you have 60% of the house price saved up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Be careful what you write on it though, there was a similar website for solicitors and everyone got sued.

It should be easy enough to make a website that is completely anonymous. Would make the suing of users awfully difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

UCDVet wrote: »
    It should be easy enough to make a website that is completely anonymous. Would make the suing of users awfully difficult.

Yeah but then how could you trust the reviews? If just anyone can log in and claim ridiculous stuff like "the house had no upstairs floor" or "the flat would go on fire every day at four and again at half past six".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Pottler wrote: »
    Include me and you're going in the boot of my Primera.:D No, really, you are..

Hey , I've a Primera too, I recently discovered I could fit herself and one of the little 'uns into the boot.

Now there's an idea... I'm sure I could rent the boot out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

In the first place I was in a few years back the landlord used to let himself in, first few times I calmly told him I wasn't comfortable with that and he was to ring in advance of he wanted to come into the house "yeah yeah yeah", didn't listen.

Lost the plot one day when I came home from a really long day at work, just before nine and caught him rooting through my records (I collect vinyl) with loads of them out of their sleeves. When I asked him wtf he was doing he told me he was passing the time listening to them until I got home - then asked me what took me so long as I was usually back at seven!!!! He wanted the rent.

Lost my temper and started yelling at him to get out, the ****er wouldn't leave ' his house' and started challenging me to a fight in the street. I was 18 at the time and this guy was a fat ****er twice the size of me in his late thirties. He eventually left after he got an apology he insisted on. If it happened me today Id have punched the dickhead or rang the guards (probably the best thing to do), but as i said i was only 18 and v intimidated. Text him the next day and told him I was leaving.

Who knows what other stuff he snooped through? hope it doesn't sound ott but I literally felt ill at the thought

I'd already paid that months rent and he wouldn't give me my deposit even though the house was even cleaner than when I moved in, place was shining, I'm a bit of a neat freak you see. place wasn't cheap either but I liked it so paying a little more than it was worth didn't bother me too much, was fair innocent back then. He also started demanding a few more months extra rent because I was breaking the lease, got very threatening on the phone saying stuff like "we're going to have a major problem if you don't, don't make me have to settle this face to face", he then told me to call around to his house.

Changed his tune though when I called around to his house with a few of my more politically aware friends. Nearly shat himself when he saw them and heard the northern accents! "We're here with GRMA to collect his deposit, discuss the money you are demanding off him and to make sure there's no problems " was all it took. Was all polite, please and thank yous, then and gave me my deposit. Typical bully.

Obviously thought he had the IRA calling at his door rather than a few Republicans, three in their twenties and a couple of aul fellas, from Belfast!

Learned a few valuable lessons, most importantly never pay cash in hand. Make sure they are registeted etc If the landlord does something you don't like nip it in the bud straight away even if it makes you feel like a bit of a dickhead. Contact the relevant bodies. Don't be afraid to involve the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

GRMA wrote: »
    Who knows what other stuff he snooped through? hope it doesn't sound ott but I literally felt ill at the thought

Doesn't sound OTT to me at all, I hate the thought of my landlord in my flat when I'm not there. I don't think he's doing anything, and I'm not hiding anything, but he still shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

toexpress wrote: »
    Yeah do we all remember ratemysolicitor.com such a website would be a hot bed for defamatory action

Why don't we as landlords have a website where we can review tenants from hell?? Same reason really

Well Ireland doesnt have decent laws protecting tenants deposits. Many if not most landlords I came across didnt even supply a rent book and a lot take cash in hand. There needs to be a way of warning about about dodgy landlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

There don't seem to be as many private landlords here in the north of England, seems to be an awful lot more letting agencies. On the whole they seem to be a lot better than some of the lads back in Ireland. I came across some absolute fcukers of landlords in the US as well, far worse than Ireland in my experience.

Sure why not! I don't care, I'm a brilliant tenant so I wouldn't fear a review!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sorry if this is a stupid question :o

But whats all this mention of tax relief and contacting the revenue?
    If you rent, you are entitled to lower tax or something back or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

'no business logic' 'no advantage' 'self-defeating'

LOL

You know what qualifications, education level, business savvy, etc one needs to be a landlord?

Dat's Righ'

None.

None what so ever.

Well Ireland doesnt have decent laws protecting tenants deposits. Many if not most landlords I came across didnt even supply a rent book and a lot take cash in hand. There needs to be a way of warning about about dodgy landlords.

Utter nonsense. We have the PRTB which is totally focused on the tenant and to hell with the landlord. As regards taking cash in hand for the rent I don't know how anyone gets away with that these days because if the landlord doesn't register the tenancy with the PRTB there is a huge fine and the tenant can report that to the PRTB. I can't see to many landlords taking that risk unless they are as dumb as a box of hair

In respect of rent books, you have a lease agreement that states a payment date for the rent, most rents are paid by standing order from bank to bank providing a reference and so your bank statement is the receipt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Utter nonsense. We have the PRTB which is totally focused on the tenant and to hell with the landlord. As regards taking cash in hand for the rent I don't know how anyone gets away with that these days because if the landlord doesn't register the tenancy with the PRTB there is a huge fine and the tenant can report that to the PRTB. I can't see to many landlords taking that risk unless they are as dumb as a box of hair

In respect of rent books, you have a lease agreement that states a payment date for the rent, most rents are paid by standing order from bank to bank providing a reference and so your bank statement is the receipt

A huge fine? You must be joking. Since when is €90 a huge fine? Even to a landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry if this is a stupid question :o

But whats all this mention of tax relief and contacting the revenue?
    If you rent, you are entitled to lower tax or something back or something?

You are only entitled to rent relief if you started renting before the end of 2010 and are still in the same place. Rent relief was removed a few budgets ago.

Contacting the revenue is something all tenants should do if they are paying in cash and have a landlord behaving like the whole thing is underhand. I say that as a landlord who has just paid my full boatload of tax, and preliminary tax, those feckers paying nothing need sorting out.

I am a tenant now as well, and it took me ages to find an unfurnished place. I brought my own washing machine, dryer etc, so those are my own responsibility, which is the way I want it. I really hope Ireland is veering more towards the unfurnished places, away from the studenty type rental with crappy furniture and the cheapest washing machine/cooker on the market. The standard would rise if people brought their own stuff with them, as the investment would go into the bones of the building, windows, insulation, electrical and heating, instead of the constant maintenance of furniture and appliances as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭omck80

Contact threshold for advice they are very good. I had to contact them over my last landlord. In the month before I moved he had me a nervous wreck entering house unannounced going through my wardrobes and drawers, walking into my 13 year old daughters bedroom when she was in bed and many other things. He also tried keeping my deposit but bank records showed he was paid in full. He only gave my deposit back when I checked public register and noticed for my 3 years living there he had never registered with PTRB.
    OP I got very helpful advice in the property forum. Maybe open a thread there. Best of luck I hope it works out for you.

A huge fine? You must be joking. Since when is €90 a huge fine? Even to a landlord.

€90 is the cost of registering the tenancy, the fine can be up to €3,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

pwurple wrote: »
    . I really hope Ireland is veering more towards the unfurnished places, away from the studenty type rental with crappy furniture and the cheapest washing machine/cooker on the market. The standard would rise if people brought their own stuff with them, as the investment would go into the bones of the building, windows, insulation, electrical and heating, instead of the constant maintenance of furniture and appliances as it is now.

I disagree, there are some landlords who are just plain stingy and will never spend a cent on their buildings unless it's absolutely necessary. If they didn't have to pay for upkeep of furniture they would just shove the saved money in their own pockets instead of doing a refurb of the house/apartment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The PRTB is an entirely toothless agency that takes up to two years to hear cases.

€90 is the cost of registering the tenancy, the fine can be up to €3,000

If the tenancy is not registered the late registration penalty is €90. After the landlord is notified that a tenancy should be registered he has two weeks to make a late registration. The offence is only committed if there is no late registration. It is far from a huge fine to have to pay a late registration penalty. The €3000 is the maximum that can be imposed after conviction, which is at the discretion of the Court. It is highly unusual for the maximum fine to be imposed on conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Before the baby we lived with one of the best landlords I've ever known! Kept the place so well when we left it went within a second... people who used to live there show up asking to rent again, he can put whatever price he wants. Our idiot landlord had to lower his price a lot for us because the place is a dump.

I wouldnt move into a dump myself tbh. Always leads to trouble

If the tenancy is not registered the late registration penalty is €90. After the landlord is notified that a tenancy should be registered he has two weeks to make a late registration. The offence is only committed if there is no late registration. It is far from a huge fine to have to pay a late registration penalty. The €3000 is the maximum that can be imposed after conviction, which is at the discretion of the Court. It is highly unusual for the maximum fine to be imposed on conviction.

You really do need to check your facts again there poster

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I wouldnt move into a dump myself tbh. Always leads to trouble

Well I didn't mean a dump in that way. The location is amazing, the dump part is that I could see the place had been falling apart for years and we asked him to get the place repainted etc. There was a forest of mould growing in corners, stuff like that. Had the place been done up he could have asked for more money.

• Advertisement

You really do need to check your facts again there poster

I need to check the facts? Read the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. It is in black and white.You clearly haven't read it.

Advertisement