Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords from hell

Options
  • 16-11-2012 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

What is there to be done when your landlord makes your life miserable but always barely within the law...
    I just don't get it... why wouldn't you want your tenants to be happy? Surely it is in your own interest!
    There should be an online site where people could review those landlords so that they'd have to make an effort to get tenants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What has he done to make your life so miserable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

move?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

lounakin wrote: »
    What is there to be done when your landlord makes your life miserable but always barely within the law...
    I just don't get it... why wouldn't you want your tenants to be happy? Surely it is in your own interest!
    There should be an online site where people could review those landlords so that they'd have to make an effort to get tenants.

There is actually. Ill send you a pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

be your own landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Stop paying rent for a few months then leave... strip all copper and sell it.

Or you could just move...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

in the current house i live in.. when we moved in, lightbulbs were going every couple of days.

We called Sherry Fitz who in turn called the landlord, she then sent her own "contractor" (who renovated the house) to have a look and see if everything was ok.

We basically got an email saying that the onus was on us, the contractor said that we left the lights on for too long :), ie over night.. which we dont. We were told to pay 100 quid for someone telling us we were leaving the lights on for too long :confused: i was angry... we didnt pay..

Several days later the house went to complete darkness.. we couldnt trip the switch back up... we said we wanted a new contractor in.. a different one. That guy said the house was ready to burn down, he showed us melted sockets from the back and light fitting that were scorched and melted internally! was shocking.. considering theres only one working smoke alarm. We received a half arsed report over how the original contractor "fixed" the housel.. i was there when he done it, its still in bad shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

steddyeddy wrote: »

Send me that pm too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My sister is renting a property in Dublin where the landlord routinely enters without permission. He walked in on her last week while she was floating about in a bathtowel, apparently to do some work on the bathroom.

He also insists that the rent be collected in cash, for which purpose he lets himself into the apartment when she's not home, and refuses to sign her application for tax relief for Revenue. He won't even stick to a specific day when he's going to collect the rent; just strolls in when it suits him.

He even tried making her pay for the PRTB registration fee when she first moved in, obviously she told him to buzz off.

They have awful rows and she keeps telling him she's entitled to break the lease because of his behaviour; which of course she is, but the apartment is in a nice area and is a steal!

I've lived in the UK and France and only in Ireland have I ever experienced (or heard of) the landlord letting himself in to pick up the rent in cash. It seems to be very common in Ireland; personally I wouldn't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Your landlord is probably thinking the same thing as you.

Not being smart, but most tenants don't give a shit about taking proper care the property and expect the landlord to be more than happy with rent paid late or not at all and their property being destroyed.

EDIT: Just going to add that "most" means from what I've dealt with and yes I know there are dickhead landlords too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Yeah moving... forfeiting the deposit and spending loads getting our stuff out... I have a 6 month old baby! Anyway, it's the sort of landlord who is so scabby he has a collection of washing-machines and dishwashers he never throws out, when one of his numerous tenants calls to say the appliance is broken he just picks it up (after weeks of complaining and usually a bit of threatening has to take place) patches it back and on to a new tenant! We haven't been here a year yet, 9 months, we've had 2 washing machines, and waiting for our 3rd dishwasher. Everytime with weeks of nothing getting done, floods and the like. Harder when there's a small baby that needs clothes constantly washed!
    Everything in the place is badly patched up and one day it will collapse. There is no long-term advantage in being this way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Yeah moving... forfeiting the deposit and spending loads getting our stuff out... I have a 6 month old baby! Anyway, it's the sort of landlord who is so scabby he has a collection of washing-machines and dishwashers he never throws out, when one of his numerous tenants calls to say the appliance is broken he just picks it up (after weeks of complaining and usually a bit of threatening has to take place) patches it back and on to a new tenant! We haven't been here a year yet, 9 months, we've had 2 washing machines, and waiting for our 3rd dishwasher. Everytime with weeks of nothing getting done, floods and the like. Harder when there's a small baby that needs clothes constantly washed!
    Everything in the place is badly patched up and one day it will collapse. There is no long-term advantage in being this way.

judging by that it sounds like you'll be left swinging for your deposit anyway,don't pay next month and keep it as your deposit,so i suggest moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Didn't you hear?
    Renting is dead money!
    Your paying someone else's mortgage!
    You Need to get into the property ladder before its too late!

;)

Before the baby we lived with one of the best landlords I've ever known! Kept the place so well when we left it went within a second... people who used to live there show up asking to rent again, he can put whatever price he wants. Our idiot landlord had to lower his price a lot for us because the place is a dump.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Do! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Seriously OP.
    You rented a place where the only way you took it was if the price was slashed down.
    You say the whole place is patched up and not fixed.

Surely you should have known that it was a low budget low end property, usually run by low end landlords in my experience.

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I'm a landlord myself (by circumstance rather than planned) and it's in my interest to keep the house good, we do upgrades when we can afford it and problems are sorted as quick as possible. Have had the same tennants for four years. We look after them and in turn they look after our investment.

If a landlord isn't looking after the property, chances are he's an idiot, and best avoided.

bbam wrote: »
    Seriously OP.
    You rented a place where the only way you took it was if the price was slashed down.

Surely you should have known that it was a low budget low end property, usually run by low end landlords in my experience.

I'm a landlord myself (by circumstance rather than planned) and it's in my interest to keep the house good, we do upgrades when we can afford it and problems are sorted as quick as possible. Have had the same tennants for four years. We look after them and in turn they look after our investment.

If a landlord isn't looking after the property, chances are he's an idiot, and best avoided.
    You're right, I did take the place slightly cheaper, I thought it would be of slightly low standard. There is a ton I discovered after we signed the lease though, and I would not have moved in had I known that. We were told the appliances had just been put in (but within a week they broke), there was no mention of the water heater being broken but apparently it was leaking and in serious need of attention. That also happened within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@later12,
    the landlord has absolutely no right to enter without permission, especially private quarters such as a bedroom and especially if someone can't wash in peace.Set up a webcam and record his unscheduled visits and keep a diary. If he gets nasty about it, go to the Gardai. If he's still acting the tool, get a solicitor involved. After that, move out and accidentally inform the Revenue.As the final sanction, of course.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Stovepipe wrote: »
    @later12,
    the landlord has absolutely no right to enter without permission, especially private quarters such as a bedroom and especially if someone can't wash in peace.Set up a webcam and record his unscheduled visits and keep a diary. If he gets nasty about it, go to the Gardai. If he's still acting the tool, get a solicitor involved. After that, move out and accidentally inform the Revenue.As the final sanction, of course.

regards
    Stovepipe

No, no, no. That would be impolite. I say we kill him. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

bbam wrote: »
    Seriously OP.

I'm sure she appreciates the morale boosting nature of your post.

OP tell your landlord how unhappy you are, check all terms in your lease and get advice from the PTRB. - Also, go to the property forums here and you'll get more helpful "advice" than that quoted in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

@later12,

regards
    Stovepipe

It doesn't sound like the OP has funds to be throwing at a solicitor for something quite blatantly illegal. Report him to the PRTB. Tell him you're reporting him. And be an absolute thorn in his side about all issues. His continued failure to address them may constiture a breach of lease terms. then you're free to go, WITH your deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

@later12,

regards
    Stovepipe
    Final sanction my hole!

If he is defrauding Revenue, report him, end of.

• Administrators Posts: 53,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

later12 wrote: »
    My sister is renting a property in Dublin where the landlord routinely enters without permission. He walked in on her last week while she was floating about in a bathtowel, apparently to do some work on the bathroom.

He also insists that the rent be collected in cash, for which purpose he lets himself into the apartment when she's not home, and refuses to sign her application for tax relief for Revenue. He won't even stick to a specific day when he's going to collect the rent; just strolls in when it suits him.

He even tried making her pay for the PRTB registration fee when she first moved in, obviously she told him to buzz off.

They have awful rows and she keeps telling him she's entitled to break the lease because of his behaviour; which of course she is, but the apartment is in a nice area and is a steal!

I've lived in the UK and France and only in Ireland have I ever experienced (or heard of) the landlord letting himself in to pick up the rent in cash. It seems to be very common in Ireland; personally I wouldn't accept it.

Sounds like this landlord doesn't want Revenue to know of his rental income. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

later12 wrote: »
    and refuses to sign her application for tax relief for Revenue.
    You don't need his signature. Just fill out as much as you can and send it in.

In the 12 years I've been claiming rent relief I've never once needed the landlords signature.

Revenue use it as a way of chasing people who haven't declared rental income. Considering he's collecting the rent as cash I'd say there's a high chance that's what's happening here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

There is a lot of landlords in this area that are a disgrace, Luckily for me I'v a tough but fair landlord, I was against him entering the apartment for rent when I first moved in, But because he would call at the same time every week I actually got to know him well over time and he could see I was a clean and relatively quiet tenant so I'm not bothered about it now.

One particular well to do, pillar of his local community, landlord actually goes to the homeless shelter to find tenants, And its not those that are down on their luck he chooses, No, Its the roughest of the rough he puts into his bedsits. I couldn't even count the amount of people who have died in that kip over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

put everything in writing.

if he wants cash, get him to give you a receipt. No excuses.

get him to sign a statement saying he will not enter your house without giving notice - if he doesn't sign, tell him you are complaining to the PTRB - writ the date and time he refused to sign.

take photos of EVERYTHING.

You need to get things in writing and photos. Word of mouth means nothing.

From previous experience I know that while most landlords are fine you can get ones that are money hungry and will do anything to keep your deposit.

Make notes of everything. The PRTB will sort it out after, and if by chance you are paying rent in Cash, you can always tell the landlord to make sure he is declaring it all, as you will be sending in what you paid to him to the revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'm sure she appreciates the morale boosting nature of your post.

OP tell your landlord how unhappy you are, check all terms in your lease and get advice from the PTRB. - Also, go to the property forums here and you'll get more helpful "advice" than that quoted in this post.

To be honest. She is better off out of there, Anyone who is a good tenant deserves a decent property and an honest landlord.

Let the bad landlords have the bad tenants, It will cost them more in the long term anyway. They will always pay for their greedy ways eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Burn the house down, that'll learn him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Get a Lend of a Travellers Horse and a Handfull of Nails, Lead same horse into property and Nail the door shut. Landlord will now do whatever you want.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Draco wrote: »
    You don't need his signature. Just fill out as much as you can and send it in.

In the 12 years I've been claiming rent relief I've never once needed the landlords signature.

Revenue use it as a way of chasing people who haven't declared rental income. Considering he's collecting the rent as cash I'd say there's a high chance that's what's happening here.
    Sorry I meant PPS number not signature. Not sure if she even has an address for the man. Definitely not paying his taxes.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if tax evasion on rental income increases when the rent relief scheme disappears as scheduled. Very short sighted move by the Govt, who will have to be reliant on landlords giving the correct info to the PRTB, i.e. taking their word for it.

• Advertisement

Hippies! wrote: »
    Burn the house down, that'll learn him.

Funnily enough, the place apparently did burn out! That's why there's a funky smell. We obviously didn't realise that before we moved in!
    By the way, people seem to confuse me with another poster here, I'm not the one who's landlord walks in on them!
    If that happened + the cash payments we would have reported him as it is clearly illegal.

Advertisement