Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firemen Attacked Southill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

gihj wrote: »
    You aren't a really good advertisement for our education system then are you.
    Ok mate. We can leave it at that.

On four occasions i have asked you to defend your opinion regarding people or politicians being in denial and on each of those occasions you have refused and instead attempt to throw petty insults.

Indeed i am a terrible advertisement for education in Ireland. I dont capitialise my "i" sometimes and my grammar is terrible on occasion.

You are the advertisement for intelligence!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

john_cappa wrote: »
    Ok mate. We can leave it at that.

On four occasions i have asked you to defend your opinion regarding people or politicians being in denial and on each of those occasions you have refused and instead attempt to throw petty insults.

Indeed i am a terrible advertisement for education in Ireland. I dont capitialise my "i" sometimes and my grammar is terrible on occasion.

You are the advertisement for intelligence!:D

Dude it was your failure to keep up I was referring to.

Look you're boring me now so I'll spell it out for you seeing as you're academic achievements obviously don't sit well with you.

A few examples from the top of my head are the lack of a festival of some type often lamented on here, a lack of Ida investment and the fact that the city is nothing more than a collection of fast food outlets.

Did you see the heads at the last mardi gras?
    Remember the idiot with the banana at the Man City game?

The Ida have gone on record as saying the image makes it difficult to attract investment here.

People don't want to go to the city because of the atmosphere in there and this affects footfall thus affecting investment.

Understand now genius?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Lads cool it with the personal insults or people will be taking the weekend off. If both of you want to continue the conversation in this manner take it to PM. We can discuss the topic without making it personal.First and only warning and im giving a warning as i dont want to close another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Lads cool it with the personal insults or people will be taking the weekend off. If both of you want to continue the conversation in this manner take it to PM. We can discuss the topic without making it personal.First and only warning and im giving a warning as i dont want to close another thread.

I wasnt personal in the slightest with anyone. Fair dues though.

I am oooout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dharn wrote: »
    im amazed the firemen dont use the water in self defence but obviously they cannot in case they hurt one of the poor little darlings

The problem is when they do, the scumbags will probably start throwing petrol bombs back at the firemen!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Let's keep this thread on-topic, please. Anybody who wishes to PM me may do so and I'll reply to them after work tonight.

Let's keep this thread on-topic, please. Anybody who wishes to PM me may do so and I'll reply to them after work tonight.
    Too late kid.
    The pms I've already received indicate plenty people saw what you just did there.
    Embarrassing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

gihj wrote: »
    Too late kid.
    The pms I've already received indicate plenty people saw what you just did there.
    Embarrassing

The issue was dealt with hence any changes that have been made, decision have been made by people outside of the mods here and a line has been drawn on it, if you want to discuss the matter feel free to use PM (to either the mods here or the Cmods), any attempt to bring up the matter on thread here will lead to a ban.

This is for all posters, not just the 1 quoted btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

I think this problem of youth gangs is well recognised by most people in Limerick and the gardai.
    However there's a lack of apathy in trying to tackle the issue due to the fact that you really can't do anything about it:

-If they do get hauled before the court expect something along the lines of "I'm sure your a good little boy", "Jailing you won't help you", "Your doing a course to turn your life around", "You just fell in with the wrong crowd", "You had a hard life". Previous convictions (which can be long as an arm if not more are ignored) and a suspended sentence is dished out or social services get assigned to them i.e. at worst they get a slap on the wrist.

-You can't touch them. Expect to get the gardai taking you into custody / court case by the parents of the little "angels" for "traumatising" them (even if its just chasing them off) who have no doubt that their darlings are innocent and that your a monster for touching them (even if its stopping them from smashing the windows of your house in).

-They travel in packs so confronting them is risky both in terms of your personal safety and any possible valuables your keeping. Near impossible to find one alone as they're nearly always within earshot of their gang or they're loitering around near their house harassing lone travellers and if confronted they get mummy and daddy out who are outraged your hassling their kids and friends who were "innocently playing" outside.

Until the judicial system becomes much more tougher then I'm afraid things won't change and the judicial system won't change as the powers that be believe the usual "But it's not their fault! Society failed them! Shame on you for having no empathy at all!" speech. Anyone who speaks up about possibly reforming the justice system risks been labelled right winged hawks, fascists etc...

Champ wrote: »
    I think this problem of youth gangs is well recognised by most people in Limerick and the gardai.
    However there's a lack of apathy in trying to tackle the issue due to the fact that you really can't do anything about it:

-If they do get hauled before the court expect something along the lines of "I'm sure your a good little boy", "Jailing you won't help you", "Your doing a course to turn your life around", "You just fell in with the wrong crowd", "You had a hard life". Previous convictions (which can be long as an arm if not more are ignored) and a suspended sentence is dished out or social services get assigned to them i.e. at worst they get a slap on the wrist.

-You can't touch them. Expect to get the gardai taking you into custody / court case by the parents of the little "angels" for "traumatising" them (even if its just chasing them off) who have no doubt that their darlings are innocent and that your a monster for touching them (even if its stopping them from smashing the windows of your house in).

-They travel in packs so confronting them is risky both in terms of your personal safety and any possible valuables your keeping. Near impossible to find one alone as they're nearly always within earshot of their gang or they're loitering around near their house harassing lone travellers and if confronted they get mummy and daddy out who are outraged your hassling their kids and friends who were "innocently playing" outside.

Until the judicial system becomes much more tougher then I'm afraid things won't change and the judicial system won't change as the powers that be believe the usual "But it's not their fault! Society failed them! Shame on you for having no empathy at all!" speech. Anyone who speaks up about possibly reforming the justice system risks been labelled right winged hawks, fascists etc...
    Nail on the head.
    Great post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I have a solution.

- It is flawless.

Capture antisocial/aggressive/criminal behaviour on camera be that CCTV, or footage shot especially, use infra-red/spotlights etc. at night.

Identify offenders and relate that to PPS number.

Suspend their myriad of overly generous social welfare payments by x amount of weeks.

- The Dole Office is these peoples Mecca - Macca isn't going to be out assaulting firemen if it might affect his dole 'career' and hurt his Dutch Gold spending power or the parents allowance for his 9 little mini-macca's or any other one of the many, many freebies they leech from our society every week courtesy of simply having scabies a heartbeat and a PPS number......

Only major concern I'd have is that this would require some actual police work - Not just driving around Castletroy in a Volvo Estate with a shop sign on its roof - Maybe the Gardaí from Cork or somewhere could be drafted in on overtime, they seem to be able to police their City.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Funny that you bring up the point of drafting in Gardai from Cork when this morning I heard Limerick has the most Gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Oh I do know there are Gardaí in Limerick - the official figures state theres about 50,000 of them deployed around the city and county - somewhere or another.

- I heard from my brothers brother that there's 25,000 in the wonderful traffic corps and the remainder are 'undercover' in Topaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

The answer to this problem is simple.

If the kids responsible for these actions are too young to prosecute then hold their parents responsible.

This all stems from the parents (some of whom are grandparents in their 30's).

I must admit i find it funny that it takes a fire crew being assaulted to bring it to the attention of the papers.

There are many good families that have lived in this area for 40 and 50 years who have been forced from their homes for much worse than having a few rocks thrown at them.

I totally deplore what has happened in this situation but we have people still living in this area who are afraid for their lives.

The Gardai know exactly who are responsible for these crimes but they also know that taking them before the courts is an absolute waste of their time.

The law needs to be changed and these so called "adults" should be accountable for their offspring and their actions.

We are too f**king soft on these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Treehorn

Yeah, a lack of prison space for adults and a proper correctional institution for young offenders combined with a useless judiciary means this will continue for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement