Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firemen Attacked Southill

Options
  • 15-11-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/community/community-news/attack-on-limerick-firefighters-is-condemned-1-4488382
    By David Hurley
    Published on Thursday 15 November 2012 12:28

Limerick city’s chief fire officer Michael Ryan has condemned an attack on firefighters in the city last night.

Two firemen were hospitalised and the windscreen of a fire engine damaged during an incident at Salvia Court, Southill.

The incident happened at around 8.30pm as firemen were attending two house fires in the area.

However, the fire crews were forced to withdraw as a group of youths attacked them and them threw rocks at them.

The injured firemen were discharged from hospital this morning and gardai at Roxboro Road have launched an investigation.

Michael Ryan says: “The attack on our fire fighters is shocking and disgraceful. The crew that attended this call are all dedicated professionals who are proud that they save lives and property in Limerick.”

Mr Ryan says emergency service workers should be able to do their job safely. “ Fire fighters like all emergency services personnel have a job to do and they deserve to be able to do it in safety, and without fear of assault. We are all angry and shocked that they were subjected to such a cowardly attack, but we know that this was the actions of a small minority in an area where we have a good relationship with the community.”

***king filth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

****ing *****. Sometimes I really despise this city. Disgraceful that these people are being given new houses imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Must be tough on the decent people who live in these areas and need emergency services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Are these fire trucks fitted with cctv?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A bus driving through Moyross last night also had 3 windows broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

It's issues like this that results in most posts on this forum. No jobs, no businesses opening, no festivals in Limerick etc.
    This city is completely overrun wih filth and scum not helped by a dose of denial by politicians over the years (and most on here) .
    And yes I know it could have been Dublin, Cork or Galway but it wasn't.
    It's always Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

what happens if the firemen turn their hose on the scumbags ?

dharn wrote: »

They get a shower for once in their waste of a life.

im amazed the firemen dont use the water in self defence but obviously they cannot in case they hurt one of the poor little darlings

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gihj wrote: »
    This city is completely overrun wih filth and scum not helped by a dose of denial by politicians over the years (and most on here) .

Would you ever feck off with that shite?

You'll find very few people on this forum who deny the reality of what happens in the city. Very few indeed. Some of us may try to swing the spot-light towards the good things, but you won't find us pretending the bad doesn't happen.

Don't try to turn this into an argument when there's no need for it. We can all see the wrong in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

As my dad was a firefighter and now one of my best mates is, I know a lot of the crew past and present in Limerick. All really dedicated, hard working and professional. I always envied the craic and camaraderie these lads have working so closely together, dependant on one another.

To think that this is how they are treated really fcuking boils my blood. You'd love to fight fire with fire, pardon the pun, and turn the hose on these few cünts... Or take your pick from the tools in the trucks and make sure they never tried this shít again...

Alas, the very laws that they are breaking would protect these scumbags had the fire crew reacted.

It's a no win situation and a thankless job on nights like this. I hope the lads involved haven't lasting scars, mental or physical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

dharn wrote: »

There'll be a huge public outcry because the civil service abused their power and used it on local dissillusioned youths in a disadvantaged area. Followed by the usuals jumping on the bandwagon going on about how hard these people have it and how the civil service abuse thier powers, followed by an inquest that will cost millions on as to how this will happen. Meanwhile most of the firemen involved will be fined or fired.

That there is the problem with this bloody country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

And yes I know it could have been Dublin, Cork or Galway but it wasn't.
    It's always Limerick.

I disagree. Its not always Limerick

http://www.medicalindependent.ie/page.aspx?title=fire_crews_under_attack

There have been almost 150 incidents of violence, physical attacks, verbal abuse, intimidation or bullying against staff working in the Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) and ambulance service in the years 2010, 2011 and year to date in 2012.
    During that time, more than 142 incidents have been reported in which ambulance and fire staff have been assaulted, bitten, headbutted, exposed to blood, and threatened with guns and pitchforks.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-fire-bridage-attacked-635875-Oct2012/

FIREFIGHTERS FROM DUBLIN Fire Brigade came under bottle and rocket attack last night as they reponded to reports of a fire in O’Devaney Gardens, located near the North Circular Road on Dublin’s northside.
    The incident, which occurred just after 6.30pm, was their third time attending the same location in a single day.

http://www.photos.galwaynews.ie/1807-firemen-attacked

What annoys me about this board, is some people are just waiting for a bad news story to post up. Its not something you see on other boards as much..even though these things do happen in other cities. In Limerick it seems people are waiting for the worst local story they can find in the post or the leader or the nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just to point out the title is a bit misleading as it says fireman attacked southhill. Should there not be firemen attacked in southill. Just coming into this thread I was thinking it was something else but unfortunatly I was expecting what I read.

What a bunch of you know whats. Do they not have sence (yes I know stupid questions) What needs to happen is to get the very young out of these areas maybe without there parents and away from there "friends". Maybe then a proper influence can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Would you ever fuck off with that shite?

You'll find very few people on this forum who deny the reality of what happens in the city. Very few indeed. Some of us may try to swing the spot-light towards the good things, but you won't find us pretending the bad doesn't happen.

Don't try to turn this into an argument when there's no need for it. We can all see the wrong in this situation.

Disgraceful way for a mod to speak to someone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I saw that fire from the south ring road. I bet if these attackers were trapped in a fire with their precious little lives in danger, they'd be squealing for help from the firefighters.

No words for these "people"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

kilburn wrote: »
    Disgraceful way for a mod to speak to someone

He's a user (not a mod) in this forum, same as you and me. He's also entitled to his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People shouldn't be at all surprised. These "people" are not doing it as a crime, they are doing it because it's a great laugh and NOBODY will stop them from doing it.

Their own community will say nothing to them, their parents have either turned a blind eye or encouraged the behaviour and the Justice system, if they even get brought before it, will not punish them. We often read about people with 80 convictions walking free from court so when a scrote, who attacks a fire tender, knows that they won't be punished they don't give a flying fvck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

He's a user (not a mod) in this forum, same as you and me. He's also entitled to his opinion.

I was being sarcastic !

FYI I know your from Dublin but Limerick City is in the Mid-west ;)

disgusting behavior makes me so mad

but yet youll have social worker saying there board and need services lets give them a gym boxing area or a youth club

wtf they wanna be put in the army not prision

Would you ever f[SIZE="2"]uc[/SIZE]k off with that sh[SIZE="2"]it[/SIZE]e?

Don't tell me to **** off son.
    I made a very valid point as to why the city is the way it is and that's the best way you can come up with?

Do you see how your foul language reply goes to prove my point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Don't tell me to **** off son.
    I made a very valid point as to why the city is the way it is and that's the best way you can come up with?

In spite of his language his point was valid with you saying most people hiding from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Well I dont sonny.

Your babbling now and rather than defending your point(i am not even sure what your point was). You are focusing on his bad language which is making me lol rather than offering support to your straw argument.

Yes politicians are indenial, that is why they are trying to spend billion on regeneration of the so called problem areas.

john_cappa wrote: »

Well I dont sonny.

Your babbling now and rather than defending your point(i am not even sure what your point was). You are focusing on his bad language which is making me lol rather than offering support to your straw argument.

Yes politicians are indenial, that is why they are trying to spend billion on regeneration of the so called problem areas.

I don't see where I was referring to you.
    So in your opinion regeneration is a good thing yes?

I don't see where I was referring to you.
    So in your opinion regeneration is a good thing yes?

I never said you were referring to me. I was simply asking how his bad language proved your point? i am wondering how it proved it?

My opinion on regeneration is not really part of the discussion. I simply used that to demonstrate that politicians are obviously not in denial regarding the problems in certain areas, they are trying to tackle it. Perhaps regeneration is the answer to tackling it, perhaps not. I simply used it to demonstrate how wrong your point was.

I never said you were referring to me. I was simply asking how his bad language proved your point? i am wondering how it proved it?

My opinion on regeneration is not really part of the discussion. I simply used that to demonstrate that politicians are obviously not in denial regarding the problems in certain areas, they are trying to tackle it. Perhaps regeneration is the answer to tackling it, perhaps not. I simply used it to demonstrate how wrong your point was.

No but I have used it to guage whether I have any interest in your opinion or not and guess what?

I don't.

I have no problem with that. In fact I haven't even expressed an opinion in this thread? I simply refuted your point.

You made a statement on page one and cant stand over it and instead tried to act outraged at the bad language.

End of so.

****e bitch bastards BASTARDS BITCHES

here we go the handbags are out...:D

I have no problem with that. In fact I haven't even expressed an opinion in this thread? I simply refuted your point.

You made a statement on page one and cant stand over it and instead tried to act outraged at the bad language.

End of so.

[SIZE="1"]****e bitch bastards BASTARDS BITCHES[/SIZE]
    It is a fact that issues cried about daily on this forum are partly a result of the behaviour of some in this city.
    You and more are too blind to see that.

Accepting there is a problem is the first step towards dealing with it.
    I don't like it as much as you but the difference is I am intelligent enough to see it.
    You are not.

It is a fact that issues cried about daily on this forum are partly a result of the behaviour of some in this city.
    You and more are too blind to see that.

Accepting there is a problem is the first step towards dealing with it.
    I don't like it as much as you but the difference is I am intelligent enough to see it.
    You are not.

I dont even know point you are trying to make?

Come down off your high horse. Someone questioned your opinion and you cant defend it. Firstly you go on the offensive as some one used terrible terrible language against you, then I questioned your opinion and rather than respond you said you didnt have any interest in my opinion and now you are trying to claim you are more intelligent that me.

Maybe you are? who know? (my degree, masters and phd (so so close to submitting) makes me suspect I could be more intelligent but it really depends on how one defines intelligence and to use such a rigid scale as academic achievement is then that wouldnt be fair! Just said i would mention it ;)).

So maybe you are more intelligent but you are unable to provide any support for your point other than boring rhetoric about seeing and accepting problems and that being the first step.

I am lost and I suspect most are to be honest. Cant keep up with you it seems.

• Advertisement

I dont even know point you are trying to make?

Come down off your high horse. Someone questioned your opinion and you cant defend it. Firstly you go on the offensive as some one used terrible terrible language against you, then I questioned your opinion and rather than respond you said you didnt have any interest in my opinion and now you are trying to claim you are more intelligent that me.

Maybe you are? who know? (my degree, masters and phd (so so close to submitting) makes me suspect I could be more intelligent but it really depends on how one defines intelligence and to use such a rigid scale as academic achieve is then that wouldnt be fair! Just said i would mention it ;)).

So maybe you are more intelligent but you are unable to provide any support for your point other than boring rhetoric about seeing and accepting problems and that being the first step.

I am lost and I suspect most are to be honest. Cant keep up with you it seems.

You aren't a really good advertisement for our education system then are you.

Advertisement