Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money on presents for kids for xmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Kids get to much these days IMO.

Recession Pfffft :rolleyes:

My 8 year old niece is looking for an Ipad off santa - yes my 8 year old niece :rolleyes:

That's what my 8 year old daughter got last year, I was thinking cheap tablet but kids these days aren't ****ing stupid, they know. Surprised it lasted this long too.

Gets great use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Spend about 70e on them on a variety of toys and books. They will appreciate books and it will exercise their brains. Building blocks or Maccano are great toys and they will get many hours enjoyment from them.
    Stimulate the mind. It is too early to give money until they are teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

In my experience kids love grown up stuff so just steal a pile of stuff from work and give it to them. Staplers, label makers, markers, power tools etc. the kids will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

ash23 wrote: »
    Are we talking about gifts for nieces, nephews, siblings etc? Or parents spending on gifts (including those from the man himself)?

I only spend a tenner on nieces and nephews and friends kids, 40-50 on my godchild and a few hundred on my own child.

Parents spending on own kids. Just interested to see what others approach was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ireland 1990 world cup subbuteo with the italians.

Best christmas ever.

on another note,why have people going tablet crazy?,all it is,is a piece of **** Laptop with a touchscreen.

• Advertisement

QUALITY TIP

last year while in smyths I noticed if your a traveller you can just walk out with trolley loads of stuff and they say nothing. And I mean trolley loads.

So this year I'm not washing for 2 weeks, going up in my black shoes, brown chords and nicest shirt and talk like a traveller and see how far I get.

Hopefully I wont have to spend a penny ;)

*Not All Travellers Do It

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'd like to think that when I'm a parent, I'll be spending reasonable money on my kids at Christmas to buy things like books, sporting goods and video games*.
    Buying mind-stimulating toys like LEGO, Mechanno or KNEX for toddlers can do them a world of good.

I think it's really important to stimulate children's minds from a young age.
    I don't think buying an iPad for a 9 year old is good for the child's development, regardless of how much money I may have.
    *And I include video games as in all honesty some kids might just not appreciate getting books and a football so it'd be nice to get something that they were hoping to get! Not because it's good for the kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    That's what my 8 year old daughter got last year, I was thinking cheap tablet but kids these days aren't ****ing stupid, they know. Surprised it lasted this long too.

Gets great use out of it.

Santa doesn't even own one :P so she wont be getting it.

IMO apple is just a brand.
    My sister is currently shopping around in different electrical stores and online to find something similar with the same functions (loads to choose from)
    She will easily find something for half if not a third of the price then what she would spend on an ipad.

Sure stick an apple sticker on the device and I'm sure the 8 year old won't know any difference :P

In my experience kids love grown up stuff so just steal a pile of stuff from work and give it to them. Staplers, label makers, markers, power tools etc. the kids will love it.

Nothing was more fun than labelling everything in the house!
    When my mother worked in the bank, she would bring us home these cheap card wallets. While they kept us happy, we would then go and steal all her cards just so we had something to fill them with :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Obviously spending a huge amount on a kid is silly but it should be about what they want and what they'll like rather than the price.

Spending about 50 on my 2 year-old and about 150 on the 4 year-old.

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    *And I include video games as in all honesty some kids might just not appreciate getting books and a football so it'd be nice to get something that they were hoping to get! Not because it's good for the kid.

I'm all for that myself, kids get forced to like and get ****e that parents think is whats best for them and what they will learn from it and what not, Yes its a good idea but Its Christmas, it comes but once a year, its a time in their life they want to enjoy.

And getting just books and poxy clothes just aint fun, well kids like books, mine do anyway but you know what I mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Money shouldn't be the decider. Its not like you would have a spreadsheet and have to spend the same on both. You can get something like this (http://www.toys.ie/John-Deere-Tractor-Trailer-and-Loader-!103128-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=ae1c1555-3b8c-4dc2-b27b-317c593d6d12) for a 2 year old for €89.99. That and a few little things should be plenty. The 2 year old would probably spend the day playing with the box anyway. Some megabloks for €10 is always a hit also.

+1. I bought two of these for my 3 year old twins birthday (well slightly bigger ones, but much the same thing). The two tractors went out the back garden after an hour. We cut two windows and a door out of each box and they played in them for a week. 240 euro (bigger ones, remember) lesson there.

They use them now, but its' only now I appreciate the sh1t my parents use to come out with when we didn't show enough appreciation for the toys they'd just bought us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

My 9 year old Daughter is getting a Nexus 7 tablet and a few other bits, probably cost in the region of 300. Personally, I dont see it as too much to spend on a 9 year old. Most of her class are getting tablet or ipads. She didn't get anything big last year, just a lot of small presents. 3 year old son is getting a new balance bike and a few bits, he'll cost around 100, only spent about 40 on him last year.

The 2 main gifts they are getting I know they will really use. So its worth it from my point of view.

It might seem like much but compared what other people I know are spending its nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Every year I get the charity cards and buy a cow and the likes as part of presents and one time I got my son (he's was about 7) a goat and a cow for a village and he loved the idea and must of kept a photo of a cow and goat up on his walls for about two years and always tells people about the time he helped the poor in Africa!!

It would never be more than 200 maybe 250 on presents and I'd try to keep it as mentally stimulating for him but its getting harder every year with all these games and stuff out.

My sister on the other hand is a complete disaster, she starts saving in January and goes mental come December. Already this year he'll get the new Black Op's, Fifa 13, and Assassins Creed, Dre Beats and the new Sony Experia for her 12 year old!!

I do feel like such a facking pov sitting there beside them xmas morning :(

I'm all for that myself, kids get forced to like and get ****e that parents think is whats best for them and what they will learn from it and what not, Yes its a good idea but Its Christmas, it comes but once a year, its a time in their life they want to enjoy.

And getting just books and poxy clothes just aint fun, well kids like books, mine do anyway but you know what I mean ;)

Some kids would go mad for more books but I guess that's just down to parents encouraging constructive pastimes from a young age!

It's not that I didn't appreciate the socks and the toothbrush.....
    It's just that I would have disappointed if that was the lot:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

€20 to €25 for the little one and €50 on the older one is plenty. At their ages, they won't know any different. Get one biggish pressie and as many little things as possible. Wrap everything singly, so they have loads to open. I always got my lads clothes, socks, underpants, teeshirts, pyjamas, dressign gowns etc. Things they would need. I'm very sad - I usually buy these after Christmas for the following year, so they'll be christmassy!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Xmas presents for the kids this year.the 2 youngest (2&3) are getting 7" tablets.they cost just over €100 EACH. plus some stocking filler books blocks etc.the eldest (14) is getting a gaming chair that costs €150 and €50 playstation credit.so in total that's around €400 on em.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Thanks for all the responses, just interested in a finger in the air idea of opinions and to be honest it confirms how I feel about the whole thing. The suggestion is that €600 should be spent on four kids between the age of 2 + 9 (2, 5, 8, 9). I don't agree and think it's too much. I love the idea of loads of little things for the youngest kids for example.

Try Ebay too for things. I am doing my 4 year olds bed room in mario for xmas going to do it xmas eve so when he wakes he will think santa magically transformed the room overnight.

did the whole thing including 2 quilt cover sets and curtains for €100. got loads of stickers and figures, little mushroom night lights, a mario clock and height chart as well from hong kong for next to nothing.

The room needs to be updated anyway so he asked for a mario bedroom for xmas. Sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    €20 to €25 for the little one and €50 on the older one is plenty. At their ages, they won't know any different. Get one biggish pressie and as many little things as possible. Wrap everything singly, so they have loads to open. I always got my lads clothes, socks, underpants, teeshirts, pyjamas, dressign gowns etc. Things they would need. I'm very sad - I usually buy these after Christmas for the following year, so they'll be christmassy!
    u sound like great fun around xmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I have eight nieces and nephews not to mention my own two kids. The nieces and nephews get presents to the value of €20 max.:cool:

• Advertisement

jessiejam wrote: »
    Try Ebay too for things. I am doing my 4 year olds bed room in mario for xmas going to do it xmas eve so when he wakes he will think santa magically transformed the room overnight.

did the whole thing including 2 quilt cover sets and curtains for €100. got loads of stickers and figures, little mushroom night lights, a mario clock and height chart as well from hong kong for next to nothing.

The room needs to be updated anyway so he asked for a mario bedroom for xmas. Sorted :D

Nice idea but will he also not be wondering why santa hasn't done his usually job - leaving out toys ?
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

oc_pl wrote: »
    He's getting Beats headphone and a phone. They were the most expensive items.

My daughter is looking for beats headphones but looking on amazon there are loads of different types! Help :confused:

Nice idea but will he also not be wondering why santa hasn't done he usually job - leaving out toys ?

SANTA IS NOT REAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

SANTA IS NOT REAL

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Nice idea but will he also not be wondering why santa hasn't done his usually job - leaving out toys ?

They will be under the tree, lots of little things

jessiejam wrote: »

I'd be shítting it the child would wake up and then realise some truths about santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

SANTA IS NOT REAL
    WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT????????
    Youre having us on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

What are Beats Headphones?

• Advertisement

My daughter is looking for beats headphones but looking on amazon there are loads of different types! Help :confused:

What age is your daughter ?

Price all depends on quality. All beat headphones have really good sound quality though so if she doesn't know any better I'd get the cheapest ones.
    The more expensive ones are bigger, better sound quality but they would be more useful for dj's imo.

Think the cheapest start at €180.

edit: be-careful buying off amazon, a lot of fake beats are been traded over the internet on sites such as amazon, ebay. You can buy them in Harvey Norman.

Advertisement