Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money on presents for kids for xmas

Options
  • 15-11-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

How much is too little or too much? Is €150 each enough? 200? I'm talking young kids here, between the ages of 2 & 9.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

How much is too little or too much? Is €150 each enough? 200? I'm talking young kids here, between the ages of 2 & 9.

whatever you can afford and within in reason, each to their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Buy them something that they will use and like, or alternatively something they requested. Why does it matter how much you spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A euro is too little and a million is too much.

Somewhere in between I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Give them a box. They'll love it

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I find the younger ones get more of a kick out of lots of little things than one or two big things.

you can get a lot of little things for the smallies for €200

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

150 quid on a feckin' 2 year old?

Give the kid a rag to play with and give me the 150 quid and I'll put it to better use, like wiping my arse with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Kids get to much these days IMO.

Recession Pfffft :rolleyes:

My 8 year old niece is looking for an Ipad off santa - yes my 8 year old niece :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is €150 each enough?

If you give presents to the value of 150 quid to a four year old, he or she will be expecting gifts valuing a couple of grand by the time they are 8.

Edit:SunnyDub has demonstrated my theory.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on what they want.
    I spent roughly 120 in total on both of mine this year.
    There are a lot of bargains out there and at that age I have found bikes are the only big present that they want and there is great value on amazon and in tkmaxx and even the toy shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

When I was a child, I was happy enough to get a present worth 50 Deutschmarks of the parents, plus 20 quid each of the grannies. Times have changed, I suppose :rolleyes:

(50 Deutschmarks would be in and around 25 Euros)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Scaletrix!

I had a Nigel Mansell one, twas great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Money shouldn't be the decider. Its not like you would have a spreadsheet and have to spend the same on both. You can get something like this (http://www.toys.ie/John-Deere-Tractor-Trailer-and-Loader-!103128-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=ae1c1555-3b8c-4dc2-b27b-317c593d6d12) for a 2 year old for €89.99. That and a few little things should be plenty. The 2 year old would probably spend the day playing with the box anyway. Some megabloks for €10 is always a hit also.

for a nine year old ask him

for the baby a elmo cookie monster toy hes for 17 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I have 4 kids and I'll be spending around €200 between them all. €200 each just seems crazy to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Denise2012

What I plan on doing is getting one big thing e.g a bike and few small things like art and crafts and books stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

100 euros on my 15 yr old. Its not normally that much but she has been saving all year for the Wii U and is short the 100 quid so I decided to give her the extra.

50 euros on my 3 yr old. A child that age has no concept of the value or amount of stuff they get anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

about three fiddy!:D
    No seriously, I have 3 teengers ranging from 13 to almost 17, Christmas will me about €2,500 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

300 - 400 Euro for two kids under the age of 10???

seriously??

what a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Thanks for all the responses, just interested in a finger in the air idea of opinions and to be honest it confirms how I feel about the whole thing. The suggestion is that €600 should be spent on four kids between the age of 2 + 9 (2, 5, 8, 9). I don't agree and think it's too much. I love the idea of loads of little things for the youngest kids for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I never had a set amount per se, just bought what I thought they would use and like.

I've one child so could always spend a bit more than if I'd two or three. Spent less when she was smaller because things were cheaper. But as she gets older, technology comes into the fore.

Last year I probably spent about 300 because she got a 3DS. But I sold her old ds and some of her old toys to pay towards it.

She'd love an ipad (although hasn't asked santa for one) and I'd probably get it if I could afford it. But I can't so it will be games for the ds and some books and clothes and toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oc_pl

I've spent 500 euros on my 9 year old and about 100 on my 1 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

oc_pl wrote: »

500 :eek: what did you buy ?

Beats headphones, an android phone, a load of lego and some other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Best thing you can give a kid before Christmas? - An Argos catalog!
    They will browse through them for f**kin days, lost in an blissful imaginary world of wonder and hope.
    They will tell you they stuff they like, and the stuff they want the most. Its easy to seperate the two cause their eyes get all buggy and they start to spit and salivate when describing the really good stuff. They can also occasionally forget to breathe.
    And you know the best thing, in most cases the stuff they pick is often much cheaper than the stuff you may think they want.

oc_pl wrote: »

Wow, thats a lot. What did you spend 500 on? Something electrical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I wouldn't go any higher than 50 euro on my younger sister. It's a ridiculous amount of money to be spending as the toy may end up broken or unplayed with. You can get so many toys out of fifty euro that would give the child more fun, than one big toy that'll get boring after a while. :)

ArtyM wrote: »
    Best thing you can give a kid before Christmas? - An Argos catalog!
    They will browse through them for f**kin days, lost in an blissful imaginary world of wonder and hope.
    They will tell you they stuff they like, and the stuff they want the most. Its easy to seperate the two cause their eyes get all buggy and they start to spit and salivate when describing the really good stuff. They can also occasionally forget to breathe.
    And you know the best thing, in most cases the stuff they pick is often much cheaper than the stuff you may think they want.

Haha. It seems as though the Argos catalogue has become central to the whole xmas experience. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

About a thousand on each kid.

And discuss it loudly in public so other people will hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Are we talking about gifts for nieces, nephews, siblings etc? Or parents spending on gifts (including those from the man himself)?

I only spend a tenner on nieces and nephews and friends kids, 40-50 on my godchild and a few hundred on my own child.

• Advertisement

Wow, thats a lot. What did you spend 500 on? Something electrical?

He's getting Beats headphone and a phone. They were the most expensive items.

Advertisement