Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person struck by DART train last night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

enda1 wrote: »

Not to obsess on the morbid side but, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find many "better" ways to go. It's a quick and definite way to die. No agony.
    Not entirely
    What if you jump to early and jump passed the front of it but your legs get hit?
    Then your left lookin like a idiot with no legs

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Reports are saying that the guy fell from a bridge onto the tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Not entirely
    What if you jump to early and jump passed the front of it but your legs get hit?
    Then your left lookin like a idiot with no legs

Well for about a minute...then you bleed out.

Some guy on the thread about the woman who 'lost her hands after being hit by a dart thread' said how he had spoken with a train driver and been told that at even 10mph a train with a carriage hitting you is the equivalent of a 40ft steel container being dropped on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

It wasn't your woman looking for her hands was it?

Aren't you just hilarious, horrible post
    inb4 those who act like they are grossly offended by the above comment.

If you think that its funny joking about that then we have different senses of humour. No fake moral outrage here just a shred of common decency

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

Rigol wrote: »
    Well for about a minute...then you bleed out.

Some guy on the thread about the woman who 'lost her hands after being hit by a dart thread' said how he had spoken with a train driver and been told that at even 10mph a train with a carriage hitting you is the equivalent of a 40ft steel container being dropped on you.

yup. its physics. momentum of the train is pretty enormous, even at low speeds, due to its large mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

about 150 people a year commit suicide by train in the Netherlands, people are generally scathing about it as it is causing them inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

james142 wrote: »
    Reports are saying that the guy fell from a bridge onto the tracks

It happened between Shankill and Bray. No Bridges or overpasses to fall from.

The area it happened is known for, lets call it 'outdoor drinking'. The victim was a 16 year old male which is not a demographic known for a high rate of suicide.

I'd be more inclined to be thinking mis-adventure as opposed to suicide.

I've heard other things but won't repeat them in case family or friends are reading, something which the usual pathetic jokers and pun makers don't give a flying fcuk about as usual what with being the nasty pathetic fcukwits that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

about 150 people a year commit suicide by train in the Netherlands, people are generally scathing about it as it is causing them inconvenience.

True, in London you regularly get delays due to 'person on the tracks/person under the train'.

Most people just sigh/complain at the delay. Human nature I suppose and I agree with them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If it is suicide I hope it gets reported as such, too many cases of suicide are reported as "misasdventure" it's a bullsh1t term used to brush the real issue under the carpet. Maybe if suicides were reported as suicides the government would get off their arse and do something about it. They spent a fortune on those speed camera vans yet more people die from suicide than on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Isn't the reason they're not widely reported something to do with not putting the idea of doing something similar in other people's minds?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copycat_suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    If it is suicide I hope it gets reported as such, too many cases of suicide are reported as "misasdventure" it's a bullsh1t term used to brush the real issue under the carpet. Maybe if suicides were reported as suicides the government would get off their arse and do something about it. They spent a fortune on those speed camera vans yet more people die from suicide than on the roads.

you won't hear about it again if it was suicide. it'll be labelled an "incident" by the media / irish rail / railway safety organisation and follow up news buried just like all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

R.I.P.
    Dreadful.

Should anyone know someone suffering or in danger from delressiin or suicide there is a free organisation that can help - its called Pieta House. They have both free residential and daycare counselling services.
    11811 for their number.

An individual can ring without a doctor or medical report + ask for help. Or their family can ask for them. Its very u.cimoli ated + help is literally just an email
    or phonecall away.

Advertisement