Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man guilty of stealing secret nuclear codes from British navy.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Aodh Rua wrote: »
    Interesting. I was on a submarine a while ago and I was not one of those. Carry on, nevertheless.
    Nuclear submarine. You're really not doing yourself any favours here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Interesting. I was on a submarine a while ago and I was not one of those. Carry on, nevertheless.

But nice attempt to transfer a discussion on "submarine" into one about a "UK submarine". You really didn't follow this thread's development closely, did you.

A nuclear sub is a bit different to the one you went on in Santa ponsa. And the whole thread is about a British man serving on a British sub. Not about submarines. The whole point is he could not have been on it if he were Irish, which is what the indo said he was. The BBC never gave his location or "nationality".

Either way, he behaved like a spoilt brat and majorly fûcked up. So, if you'd like to claim him as Irish, please do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Aodh Rua

summerskin wrote: »
    It's an American username if we're going to be pedantic.

And there is no occupation. The majority there are happy to be British citizens. Majority.

Well done on missing the point by denying the right of people born under British rule in Ireland to Irish citizenship. And considering you gerrymandered your little "majority" in Ireland in 1920 your claim about a "majority" is silly. Here are some areas under British rule which have nationalist majorities but are forced to remain under British occupation today: south Armagh; west Tyrone; the glens of Antrim; Derry city; Newry ....

So much for your "majoritarian democracy".

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

humanji wrote: »
    Folks, don't turn this into the usual "what constitutes being Irish" thread, and stick to the actual topic.

Mod
    Already a warning. Infracts and bans since that warning. Hardly worth it, is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Well done on missing the point by denying the right of people born under British rule in Ireland to Irish citizenship. And considering you gerrymandered your little "majority" in Ireland in 1920 your claim about a "majority" is silly. Here are some areas under British rule which have nationalist majorities but are forced to remain under British occupation today: south Armagh; west Tyrone; the glens of Antrim; Derry city; Newry ....

He must be as old as the hills :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

But nice attempt to transfer a discussion on "submarine" into one about a "UK submarine". You really didn't follow this thread's development closely, did you.

its a discussion about a BRITISH SUBMARINE not a submarine , and people were pointing out the ONLY a UK citizen can serve on NUKE SUBS - simple - plain as - end of

you were not serving on a British sub, so stop being so bloody stupid,
    did your mother never teach you when to give up when you are being embarrassed by your ignorance

new here i see , so i suppose you can claim noob status - but really , type it out, then read it and read it again before you hit publish , becasue if you keep coming up with the rubbish you are posting , people will be all over you and with good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Oh god no. Another poster with an Irish username talking about occupation... The majority of Nordies, protestant or catholic, want to be part of the UK, leave them alone and let them get on with stealing nuclear stuff.

Yer bloke in the OP felt so Irish he joined the Royalnavy.

C'MON would you join the irish navy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Re-reg, banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 frojay

Nowt wrong with an Irishman trying to get one over on the old enemy. Hope they go easy on him, sounds like entrapment to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Seamen caught stroking in serious hot water.
    frojay wrote: »
    ........sounds like entrapment to me.

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think this thread needs a musical interlude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It's an American username if we're going to be pedantic.

And there is no occupation. The majority there are happy to be British citizens. Majority.

Damn, I must've missed the referendum as constituted under the GFA. When was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Defnitely not an Irish passport holder.

You need DV Security clearance to get on a UK nuclear sub, and even an English\Irish dual national can't get that.
    You would need to relinquish the Irish citizenship to get that clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Defnitely not an Irish passport holder.

You need DV Security clearance to get on a UK nuclear sub, and even an English\Irish dual national can't get that.
    You would need to relinquish the Irish citizenship to get that clearance.

Well the guy I mentioned earlier in this thread that also tried to pull a similar stunt (but for financial gain) was a dual national.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1308718/MI6-worker-Daniel-Houghton-jailed-trying-sell-secrets.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Rascasse wrote: »

Well the guy I mentioned earlier in this thread that also tried to pull a similar stunt (but for financial gain) was a dual national.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1308718/MI6-worker-Daniel-Houghton-jailed-trying-sell-secrets.html

He didnt work on a nuclear sub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If it's true and he isn't being framed (it's the British who are accusing him, after all), he's probably wasting his time anyway. Those plans have already been copied and sold to the Russians and/or Chinese by some or other public school, high Tory pillar of the British establishment. No one does such an excellent job of spying on the Brits as the Brits themselves. :):)

Happy 90th birthday, by the way, to George Blake, who was sent to prison for 42 years in the 1960s, but sprung only five years later by an enterprising Limerick man and now lives in a dacha near Moscow.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

He didnt work on a nuclear sub though.

No, but he worked in MI6 with access to the name address and phone numbers of over 400 spies. He would definitely need DV for that job.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    If it's true and he isn't being framed (it's the British who are accusing him, after all), he's probably wasting his time anyway. Those plans have already been copied and sold to the Russians and/or Chinese by some or other public school, high Tory pillar of the British establishment. No one does such an excellent job of spying on the Brits as the Brits themselves. :):)

Happy 90th birthday, by the way, to George Blake, who was sent to prison for 42 years in the 1960s, but sprung only five years later by an enterprising Limerick man and now lives in a dacha near Moscow.:D:D

Yeah, bless him for putting the western world at risk during the Cold War, a time where nuclear war was a high risk!

Still, he stuck it up dem Brits, eh?

Today's second most stupid post, from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

No, but he worked in MI6 with access to the name address and phone numbers of over 400 spies. He would definitely need DV for that job.

The MI6 would need many nationalities and people of different backgrounds to be effective. They would have different levels of access within the organisation.

Spy is a very loose term too. It didnt say that all the details were "spies" They could have been analysts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Sure I've always been lead to believe that the British don't launch their missiles until after Radio 4 stops broadcasting.

The Nuclear apocalypse will just have to wait until after Nicholas Parsons kicks the bucket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Today's second most stupid post, from start to finish.

After your own, I presume. ROFLMAO :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure I've always been lead to believe that the British don't launch their missiles until after Radio 4 stops broadcasting.

The Nuclear apocalypse will just have to wait until after Nicholas Parsons kicks the bucket!

And the shipping forecast. It's like surreal football results....

Cromarty Blythe headstrong into buttockly feathering south west over near blighty wind shortening to east middlefûckton.

Ellis Dee wrote: »

After your own, I presume. ROFLMAO :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Easily amused and laugh at your own jokes. You're a winner, alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

How did the idiot expect to get away with it.
    Even if he got his part of the bargain whats he going to say 'oh I won it on the horses'. My grand Aunt in Moscow Vladimira O'Doherty died and left it.

Did he not think....'errr might be under a bit of standard surveillance anyway, given that I work on a navy submarine'.

At least Walter White had a car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Yeah, dual Irish\British can't get DV because Ireland isn't a NATO member.
    Dual British\other NATO member can get DV usually, with 10 years abode in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yeah, bless him for putting the western world at risk during the Cold War, a time where nuclear war was a high risk!

I think the point Ellis Dee was making was that there is a history of British people*, many in sensitive positions and high office, who were providing the Soviets with intelligence on defence long before this guy came along and so his attempts to sell secrets might well have been inconsequential to the Russians/Chinese.

*A quick 'Google' turns up these chaps.

George Blake
    Sir Anthony Blunt
    Frank Bossard
    Guy Burgess
    John Cairncross
    Cairncross admitted to spying in 1951 after MI5 found papers in Guy Burgess' flat with a handwritten note from him, after Burgess' flight to Moscow. Some believe that he may have supplied information about the Western atomic weapons programme, the Manhattan Project, to assist the Soviet nuclear programme

Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin, The Mitrokhin Archive: The KGB in Europe and the West, London, Penguin Books, 2000. note 13, p. 150

David Crook
    Tom Driberg
    Alexander Foote
    Donald Maclean (spy)
    Melita Norwood
    Ernest Holloway Oldham
    John Peet (1915–1988)
    Kim Philby
    Goronwy Rees
    Agent Scott
    Dave Springhall
    Bob Stewart (politician)
    John Alexander Symonds
    Edith Tudor Hart
    Arthur Wynn

I'd imagine that this type of spying is going on all the time in most countries that engage in state brinkmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Did he really think he could pass the codes to the Russkis without MI5 getting involved?

You mean the same MI5 that the Russians have virtually owned since 1946?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You mean the same MI5 that the Russians have virtually owned since 1946?

I did say involved, how dare he muscle in on their pension fund!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

So I wonder do MI5 have facial recognition cameras outside the Russian embassy, or do they still have people watching

• Advertisement
Advertisement