Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Looking at Students Twitter Accounts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What will that prevent, most kids have smartphones and BlackBerrys and send messages and im's without using the phone network

The SIM card connects you to the data network as well as the voice network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The SIM card connects you to the data network as well as the voice network.

I fail to see what that prevents when the device has Wi-Fi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In loco parentis is the phrase that covers it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Check the code of conduct for the school, some of the Community schools have a policy that
    Circulating, publishing or distributing (including on the internet) material associated with school activities including but not limited to material in relation to staff and students were such circulation undermines, humiliates or causes damage to another person is considered a serious breach of school discipline and may result in disciplinary action.

As part of such disciplinary action the Board of Management reserves the right to suspend or expel a student or students where it considers the actions to warrant such sanctions.

Anyone who is stupid enough to be spouting off on twitter with a non locked account about students or teachers or the school is going to be found out and is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Children should not be allowed to post on twitter. They should be allowed to view and search tweets. At this age they have no real contribution to give.

There is no age restriction on twitter for setting up accounts.
    I've seen 12 year olds publicly tweeting at each other treating it like text messages cos they were using the app on their phones.
    If the kids do not have the intelligence to use an alias then the future is bleak.

Their parent's don't have a clue, there are at least two generations out there who don't know why a person would use a handle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

spurious wrote: »
    In loco parentis is the phrase that covers it I think.

My parents are nuts. Good parents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Fizman wrote: »
    What??

If my old principle was going through my phone after it was confiscated.....I would have punched her in the ovaries.

I would have wanted to know what they were doing in my house.

I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Remember the Bebo stunnahs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Remember the Bebo stunnahs

how could i forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

It's possible that there are parents who actually give a **** out there and check their children's twitter account & reported it to the school. While I wouldn't blame a school for looking to try & keep track of bullying etc. do schools really have the resources to be looking for the Twitter accounts of all students?

• Advertisement

Muir wrote: »
    It's possible that there are parents who actually give a **** out there and check their children's twitter account & reported it to the school. While I wouldn't blame a school for looking to try & keep track of bullying etc. do schools really have the resources to be looking for the Twitter accounts of all students?

well if a school has a staff of around 20 they could power through every students page in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Muir wrote: »
    Or they might have been told by a student. That happens quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

pmcmahon wrote: »
    well if a school has a staff of around 20 they could power through every students page in a day.

Yeah but they have jobs & lives. I can't see them all sitting there looking for each student, and then they'd probably have to do the same on Facebook etc. and search through it.

Bobblehead Panda, yeah, easily could have been a student too.

I think anyone using the internet really needs to understand the implications. When my niece was starting secondary I was chatting with the principal and she told me that one of the first things she tells students is not to post anything on the internet that you wouldn't put up on the noticeboard in school or the mantelpiece at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I go to a Community School and today a student was asked by our Vice Principle to Delete his twitter because he was talking about students and Teachers on his Account. There is absolutely no reason a Teacher should be on a students Twitter account, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they were going through all our accounts.

If your account is public anyone can read it. You can't stop teachers from reading it. If you have a problem with them reading it set it to private. If you are going to slag off your teachers online in the public domain and possibly say slanderous things about them be prepared for the backlash.

If you defame their characters or those of other students you may find yourself on the receiving end of a few solicitor's letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Remember the days when in school you used to get educated?

Really? When did they start doing this?

It was Irish poetry and coordinate geometry of the circle in my day

Really? When did they start doing this?

It was Irish poetry and coordinate geometry of the circle in my day

granted the irish poetry part,but maths in school believe it or not actually works in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

OP, you realise that putting stuff on Twitter is publishing it into the public domain, right?

Anyone can browse what you're saying on Twitter, that's exactly how Twitter works unless you're sending PMs and even in that case, I wouldn't be entirely confident that they'd be secure either.

Basically, if you're going to say something on Twitter you should be able to do the following:

A tweet should comply with the following simple test:

Can you :

1: Stand over it legally i.e. it's not defamatory or otherwise libelous and would not constitute harassment, racism, incitement to hatred etc.

2: Could you say it to someone's face?

3: Is it something you would be happy with your friends, family, colleagues etc reading now or at any time in the future.

If it doesn't pass those three tests, don't Tweet it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I go to a Community School and today a student was asked by our Vice Principle to Delete his twitter because he was talking about students and Teachers on his Account. There is absolutely no reason a Teacher should be on a students Twitter account, it would not surprise me in the slightest if they were going through all our accounts. This same school that goes through peoples phones when they are confiscated...

I find it kind of funny and if a Teacher tells me to delete mine i'll laugh at them, it can't be allowed can it?

Anybody else hear about this happening anywhere else?

OF course it's a disgrace, but I have fairly little sympathy - it doesn't take 30 seconds to lock your Twitter and password protect your phone to prevent this kind of snooping.

Not justifying the school's behavior, but if you give people in authority the ability to stick their nose in, they will. Better to just pre-empt that and ring fence your online self from general creeping.

Advertisement