Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Open Day

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

To be honest I think the UCD campus is woefully designed, the way it's laid out in one massive long strip that takes 20-25 minutes to walk. When you consider they had a complete blank canvas when they built it originally it's pretty crappy.

Technically it takes around 35-40 minutes to walk (going from Richview to Roebuck castle)

Remember that the original campus buildings were Ag-Sci, Science, Library, Arts, and Admin, with the lake there as well.

A couple of the subsequent buildings were placed in isolated areas on either 'end' of the campus (Sports Centre and original student bar). No idea why engineering ended up where it did.

Since the 90s they have genuinely been attempting to removing the strip like feel; developing Comp Sci, Vet, Health-Sci, GII, etc. The new school of Law pretty much acts as a book stop for the strip.

Of course when you say how long it takes to walk from one end of the campus to the other, it is still a shorter journey than when Earlsford Tce was included. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Was mad yesterday getting a bus out there, every bus that came along Nassau Street was already packed with people and they put no extra buses on :( once I got out there though, the place was lovely, I really liked the campus and I went to the Radiography talk which I thought was very good. I also went on the residential tour but that was a bit of a joke because they only showed us the two new done-up houses in Belgrove, instead of what the rest of Belgrove looks like!

To be fair the rest of the place is better than belgrove and i'd imagine it'll be in line for renovation next summer given merville is now finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 West Side Culchie

catch.23 wrote: »
    To be fair the rest of the place is better than belgrove and i'd imagine it'll be in line for renovation next summer given merville is now finished.

Good point, Do you think the renovations will result in a price hike for rent? And also. New Belgrove: Y U NO HAZ COUCH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Good point, Do you think the renovations will result in a price hike for rent? And also. New Belgrove: Y U NO HAZ COUCH?

Doubt it, Merville was renovated and still is the same price as Belgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Does anyone know if there's any other open days at a later date? I couldn't make it Saturday and it sounds like it was brilliant. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Here's a link to the list of open days that UCD currently have scheduled

None of that applies to me. Thanks anyway. :)

Trisha XxX wrote: »
    None of that applies to me. Thanks anyway. :)

Looking for anything in particular?

I couldn't find anything on psychology in the link unless I wasn't looking properly. I thought there might be some other open day with all the information.

I couldn't find anything on psychology in the link unless I wasn't looking properly. I thought there might be some other open day with all the information.

Don't think you will see one especially for Psychology. An Arts one might come up but you won't get anything specific to Psy. Only thing I can tell you about it is if you want to have it as your main degree you need to take it as a single major. You can only take it as a minor in the DN500 and you have to apply to the Psychology school for it. Can't remember if someone said that already in this thread or somewhere else though.

• Advertisement

Oh right ok, well thanks for all the info anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I've got to say that the Open Day was fairly good, way better than U.L anyway. The courses talks were really helpful, unlike U.L where the guy just read stuff off their website. The tours were handy, lots of information gotten from them. Now it's just a matter of points:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

mixery wrote: »
    I've got to say that the Open Day was fairly good, way better than U.L anyway. The courses talks were really helpful, unlike U.L where the guy just read stuff off their website. The tours were handy, lots of information gotten from them. Now it's just a matter of points:D.

I really liked how some courses had talks from the students, they didn't have that at all in UCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 West Side Culchie

mixery wrote: »

+1 Can say it was also much better than NUIG, the talks were much more informative, the students were much more enthusiastic and the tours were very thorough. :D

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this but.... Anyone going to Trinity on the 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I'm not anyway, first of all there's no one else going from my village, and also the points for courses that interest me are a BIT high. But you should go ahead and create the topic, I'm sure there's others going.

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this but.... Anyone going to Trinity on the 1st?

Maybe start one over here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I'm the only one from my school who's going, but I've a fairly big interest in one of the courses there that isn't offered anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I would be happy to give information on Psychology undergrad & postgrad options, should anyone want any.

Advertisement