Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Open Day

Options
  • 12-11-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Right lads! The time of year when eejits like myself descend upon your lovely college and tear it to shreds. Discuss with reference to the text. :P

I am a 5th year student from the Shligo! Got a couple of questions for ye, if your obligin'. I plan on making my way to Belfield from Connolly Station. My initial plan was to walk to O'Connell Street and get a bus to Campus. The question is... which bus? Is the 39a the right one? If not, help? I am more confused by Dublin Bus timetables than by Project Maths.

Also, any hints or tips as regards the Open Day itself? Looking into CS or Engineering. Can anybody suggest which talks ye would recommend? Or which tours/campus events? In addition. Coffee. Of the nice variety. Where can I acquire such a beverage?

Sorry for the long post, it's my first, so had to make it worthwhile. ;) Thanks for any and all attention this gets!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

The 39a brings you right to UCD Belfield I'll be getting that bus myself. I will be attending the open day as a mature student. Good luck with everything else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Right lads! The time of year when eejits like myself descend upon your lovely college and tear it to shreds. Discuss with reference to the text. :P

I am a 5th year student from the Shligo! Got a couple of questions for ye, if your obligin'. I plan on making my way to Belfield from Connolly Station. My initial plan was to walk to O'Connell Street and get a bus to Campus. The question is... which bus? Is the 39a the right one? If not, help? I am more confused by Dublin Bus timetables than by Project Maths.

Also, any hints or tips as regards the Open Day itself? Looking into CS or Engineering. Can anybody suggest which talks ye would recommend? Or which tours/campus events? In addition. Coffee. Of the nice variety. Where can I acquire such a beverage?

Sorry for the long post, it's my first, so had to make it worthwhile. ;) Thanks for any and all attention this gets!

39a will take you into the campus, but you'd have to walk up to D'Olier Street to get it. 46a is on O'Connell Street and will take you close to the main entrance.

There is a Starbucks in the Quinn School, but imo, Costa is better, which is near the main library, part of the Readers Deli.

Someone else can give you a run down on the talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 West Side Culchie

Trisha XxX wrote: »
    The 39a brings you right to UCD Belfield I'll be getting that bus myself. I will be attending the open day as a mature student. Good luck with everything else. :)

Thanks! Always good to know you've the right bus route! :) What courses you looking at?

Maldesu wrote: »

39a will take you into the campus, but you'd have to walk up to D'Olier Street to get it. 46a is on O'Connell Street and will take you close to the main entrance.

There is a Starbucks in the Quinn School, but imo, Costa is better, which is near the main library, part of the Readers Deli.

Someone else can give you a run down on the talks.

Costa? Perfect. :D
    How often does the 46a run? Is it more reliable than the 39a?

Costa? Perfect. :D
    How often does the 46a run? Is it more reliable than the 39a?

Runs about every 10 mins or so, but the 39a is not too far out either.
    If you went to D'Olier Street, the 39a, 46a and the 145 each stop there and go out to UCD. Between the 3 of them, you'd get one out there

So, only the 46a is on O'Connell Street. D'Olier Street isn't too far away. Only the 39a will take you into campus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

39a and 145 also stop on Bachelors walk, if you're getting a bus eireann bus thats where they stop for O'Connell Street before going to Busaras, and the stop for the 39a and 145 is right beside you there.

Runs about every 10 mins or so, but the 39a is not too far out either.
    If you went to D'Olier Street, the 39a, 46a and the 145 each stop there and go out to UCD. Between the 3 of them, you'd get one out there

So, only the 46a is on O'Connell Street. D'Olier Street isn't too far away. Only the 39a will take you into campus.

So, stumble off train, find O'Connell Street, wander towards D'Olier Street Bus Stop and get a 39a to UCD? Just double checkin', thanks for your help. :)

So, stumble off train, find O'Connell Street, wander towards D'Olier Street Bus Stop and get a 39a to UCD? Just double checkin', thanks for your help. :)

Follow this route to D'Olier Street from Connolly Station

Follow this route to D'Olier Street from Connolly Station

Jaysus, you're a Godsend! Seems like an idiot-proof plan! I'll probably manage to mess it up! :D

Jaysus, you're a Godsend! Seems like an idiot-proof plan! I'll probably manage to mess it up! :D

If you do you might want to rethink the college application :pac:

• Advertisement

If you do you might want to rethink the college application :pac:

I just might! :P Do you/Have you attend(ed) UCD?

I just might! :P Do you/Have you attend(ed) UCD?

Current student, but doing Arts so can't help with the CS or Engineering side of things. I never did an open day either. Just jumped right in.

Current student, but doing Arts so can't help with the CS or Engineering side of things. I never did an open day either. Just jumped right in.

Cool! :D What do you think of the place?

Well, I'm in as a mature student so I've a very different view, but having said that, it's probably one of the best I've been in (and I've ventured into a few).
    It's not state of the art, but what is in Ireland at this point. Health Sci and Science blocks are getting revamped and such.
    Plenty of computers if you know where to go. Restaurant is so so. It's a canteen, so you get average food and I've seen plenty worse. Loads of other choices available though.
    No bar in the place atm, but sure there are crap-loads of bars and most people seem to get pissed in the city anyway. If you have a good class rep they'll do trips away, usually within Ireland but some go to London or elsewhere in the UK.
    Big new Student Centre with Gym, Pool (have to pay for that), Cinema (rates vary) and loads of other stuff (but I've not been in yet).

Take advantage of the Open Day and try get around as much as you can.

Well, I'm in as a mature student so I've a very different view, but having said that, it's probably one of the best I've been in (and I've ventured into a few).
    It's not state of the art, but what is in Ireland at this point. Health Sci and Science blocks are getting revamped and such.
    Plenty of computers if you know where to go. Restaurant is so so. It's a canteen, so you get average food and I've seen plenty worse. Loads of other choices available though.
    No bar in the place atm, but sure there are crap-loads of bars and most people seem to get pissed in the city anyway. If you have a good class rep they'll do trips away, usually within Ireland but some go to London or elsewhere in the UK.
    Big new Student Centre with Gym, Pool (have to pay for that), Cinema (rates vary) and loads of other stuff (but I've not been in yet).

Take advantage of the Open Day and try get around as much as you can.

Will do! Thanks for all the help! :pac:

Thanks! Always good to know you've the right bus route! :) What courses you looking at?

Hi, I want to do psychology. What about you?

Hi, I want to do psychology. What about you?

Psychology, Eh? What a coincidence! We had a Ph. D student from NUIG into school today doing research! :P
    I'm interested in Architecture, Engineering or Computer Science! So... time to get to whittling it down!:pac:

Ah no way jealous,lol. Wow good options be careful with computer science I know a few people who done and werent happy with it and I know someone starting their second year and he just doesnt like it but maybe you will people are different. Good Luck with it all anyway :)

Ah no way jealous,lol. Wow good options be careful with computer science I know a few people who done and werent happy with it and I know someone starting their second year and he just doesnt like it but maybe you will people are different. Good Luck with it all anyway :)

Thanks, I think I'll enjoy CS, I've always be the IT guy and enjoy working with computers, but I'm terrified of picked the wrong college or course and end up hating it! As an aside, How/why did you pick UCD?

I think with anything there will always be that fear but when you get into it the fear is gone. Well if you have that interest in computers already thats great :D I actually applied last year but didnt get in. I just feel I will love the college and the atmosphere and the area is a big thing for me im hoping to live on campus. I went to an information evening last year and just loved the campus. It sounds stupid but I think its the place for me and I've read such good things about the college and my course. You decided on UCD?

• Advertisement

I think with anything there will always be that fear but when you get into it the fear is gone. Well if you have that interest in computers already thats great :D I actually applied last year but didnt get in. I just feel I will love the college and the atmosphere and the area is a big thing for me im hoping to live on campus. I went to an information evening last year and just loved the campus. It sounds stupid but I think its the place for me and I've read such good things about the college and my course. You decided on UCD?

I'm trying to keep an open mind... (And failing miserably :P) I think UCD is the place for me, unless I hate CS, and Engineering at UCD sucks, I'm looking at NUIG for Engineering.

It can be hard to keep an open mind with such a huge decision you know, when you go to the open days you will learn more. Yeah NUIG is also on my list the campus is suppose to be awesome :) Engineering sounds good. When you find out all the information about the courses you'll know what you want :)

It can be hard to keep an open mind with such a huge decision you know, when you go to the open days you will learn more. Yeah NUIG is also on my list the campus is suppose to be awesome :) Engineering sounds good. When you find out all the information about the courses you'll know what you want :)

That's our plan! Which Psychology course are you looking at?

Im hoping to do the BA in Psychology in UCD, with other colleges you can do Arts which includes psychology with other subjects that could be good also. I just have to wait and see. The waiting game :p

Im hoping to do the BA in Psychology in UCD, with other colleges you can do Arts which includes psychology with other subjects that could be good also. I just have to wait and see. The waiting game :p

Ah yes, I'm told patience could be handy for us! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Psychology, Eh? What a coincidence! We had a Ph. D student from NUIG into school today doing research!
    I'm interested in Architecture, Engineering or Computer Science! So... time to get to whittling it down!

Which branch of Engineering are you looking at?

Ah yes, I'm told patience could be handy for us! :pac:

I hope so lol. :)

Which branch of Engineering are you looking at?

:/ I'm thinking Engineering with Architecture, Electronic Engineering or Civil. Can you shed any light on which you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

:/ I'm thinking Engineering with Architecture, Electronic Engineering or Civil. Can you shed any light on which you would recommend?

Bit biased in the fact that I'm doing Structural Engineering with Architecture, very similar to the Civil course except yo do a few Architecture modules but it's not heavily loaded with Architecture its about 80%+ engineering. difference between it and Civil is that its more focused on actual structures and doesn't go in to environmental engineering or deal with water. The UCD civil course is the highest ranked in Ireland so if you're interested in civil or structural UCD is the place to go for them.

Don't worry about people telling you there's no jobs in it etc. because its going to pick up again eventually and there's a fair bit of work going on abroad now, I heard loads of that when I started it but you're better off in something you're happy in rather than following the course with jobs and hating it for the rest of your life.

I can't really shed any light on Electrical as I haven't really a clue what it consists of.

• Advertisement

Bit biased in the fact that I'm doing Structural Engineering with Architecture, very similar to the Civil course except yo do a few Architecture modules but it's not heavily loaded with Architecture its about 80%+ engineering.

That sounds very interesting, what's the content of that course like?

Advertisement