Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

In preparation for testing (iOS)

• 12-11-2012 1:41pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there!

We're using a site called www.testflightapp.com to distribute the game on iOS. You'll need to sign up to that site and please use the same email you sent to me!

Once thats done, we'll send you an invite to download the game. Probably one Wednesday.

Thats a very highly regarded site and they dont spam or snoop so dont be concerned. We've been using them for months now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

All set..!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Set up and ready to go; this wait is gonna kill me :pac:

One question; what does the "profile" that the site installed to my 3GS iphone do? Or more to the point; will it stop me from doing anything on my phone? It's jailbroken, if that effects anything.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do we have to install the testlfight app to our phone and that? When I tried to log in on it it seems to freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

the_syco wrote: »
    Set up and ready to go; this wait is gonna kill me :pac:

One question; what does the "profile" that the site installed to my 3GS iphone do? Or more to the point; will it stop me from doing anything on my phone? It's jailbroken, if that effects anything.

If i'm not mistaken the "profile" acts like a certificate to allow the game ( that's build with this certificate ) to run on your device. It wont affect anything else on your device. Jailbroken devices have been knows to throw up some bizarre issues and in-app purchases may not work.

Just my 2c from experience.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do we have to install the testlfight app to our phone and that? When I tried to log in on it it seems to freeze.
    Well, crashing is not expected behaviour.... testflightapp is used by a lot of companies to deliver apps before they go to the official app store... afaik, its Apple-Approved too.

The only way we know of delivering our test app to iOS is through TFA. I think you might just have been unlucky, can you try it again? Is your phone jail broken or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DeVore wrote: »
    Well, crashing is not expected behaviour.... testflightapp is used by a lot of companies to deliver apps before they go to the official app store... afaik, its Apple-Approved too.

The only way we know of delivering our test app to iOS is through TFA. I think you might just have been unlucky, can you try it again? Is your phone jail broken or anything?

Not jail broken no. I think I might have downloaded a different app , I just searched for testflight app in the app store and downloaded the one I found, which wouldn't let me log in. I think it's ok now though, I went to my e-mail and connected my device using the links there which downloaded a different app which seems to work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm guessing a 2nd gen iPod touch wouldn't have a hope with this...?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Installed the App - Check.

Didn't log on as I don't have a hostname - figure that will come in the invite.
    Watched their demo when you hit the login button - all in a foreign language so I iz lost.... :):)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm guessing a 2nd gen iPod touch wouldn't have a hope with this...?
    I have no idea but it plays "alright" on a 3GS so you could give it a shot...

Once we have the app uploaded we'll send out TFA invites to download it. Its just like app store, you just click and it installs. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Taltos wrote: »
    Installed the App - Check.

Didn't log on as I don't have a hostname - figure that will come in the invite.
    Watched their demo when you hit the login button - all in a foreign language so I iz lost.... :):)

You just need to follow the link from the registration email on your device, there is no app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like I am set.

Now I am going to play a waiting game.

Looks like I am set.

Now I am going to play a waiting game.
    This waiting game sucks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

the_syco wrote: »
    This waiting game sucks :P
    Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!

OK, we are just about at go time!

Apple are not the most convenient people to build for so you need to follow this link to Testflightapp and sign in so we get your device ID... after that you will get a link which will install the game for you.

So...

1. Go to this link. http://tflig.ht/UAEB0f

2a. Register if you havent already done so.

2b. Sign in.

3. Wait for the mail with the link which will install the app to your device. You should read that mail on your device obviously enough :)

The mail might take some hours, we have rebuild every time we get a new testers deviceID so we'll do it in batches.

Thanks and sorry this is a pain, its just the only way to avoid actually publishing the app to the store which wouldnt be good in its current state :)

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Are we there yet???

;)

yes we are there... the build is out BUT for Apple people we have to build each one individually for your devices, so we are doing them in groups.

So...

1. Go to this link. http://tflig.ht/UAEB0f

2a. Register if you havent already done so.

2b. Sign in.

3. Wait for the mail with the link which will install the app to your device. You should read that mail on your device obviously enough

The mail might take some hours, we have rebuild every time we get a new testers deviceID so we'll do it in batches.

Thanks and sorry this is a pain, its just the only way to avoid actually publishing the app to the store which wouldnt be good in its current state.

We'll build regularly for you guys, its just less open an architecture than Android. But the delivery is just like getting an app from the App Store...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Registered my device, just waiting on my email now.

DeV, I know this is completely out of your control but TestFlight really irritated me during this process.

First irritation was: Wrong browser, TestFlight requires Safari (Ugh, okay, I'll open Safari)

Safari open, log into Gmail again, click link and await login screen...
    Private browsing not compatible with TestFlight (Grrr F*@k!!)

As I say, totally out of your control but a total pain in the Aras. :D

Now awaiting my build for my device :) Thanks. Feedback will be provided in three stages.

Firstly - initial impression after one game
    Secondly - impression after a day with the game
    Thirdly - impression after a week with the game

I'll make other comments in between but will provide a summary post at those stages.

Yeah I know :(:( Its because it has to do something with your DeviceID or else Apple kinda spaz out about external software being loaded outside their precious iTunes.

I wouldnt mind that at all (their eco system, their ball) but iTunes is a bag of my arse imho... :)

Anyway, we've pushed the first load of iOS builds so you should have the link now!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Installed the app on my iPad and hit my first bug - the game won't start!

When I open the app all I see is a green screen saying "Gone Gaming".

yeah... that takes a while to go :)

It currently takes about 30-45 seconds to load the game. We will optimise that to probably about 5-7 seconds by pushing stuff to background processing. Sorry if its a long time but it does then restart like a stabbed rat.

If its taking longer than a minute, something is very badly wrong... let me know what you are playing on if it does...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Working now, just had to wait.

I got an e-mail but it seemed to just have the same link you posted above? No game for me yet :(

Hello iOS testers!
    Our little game is ready for you now.
    To get it, please go here:
    http://tflig.ht/UAEB0f
    Click link. Get an option to "Join This Team" and once I click it, it mentions something about an email coming from TestFlightApp.

Waits...
    Its because it has to do something with your DeviceID or else Apple kinda spaz out about external software being loaded outside their precious iTunes.
    What happens if I load it through Cydia? Of does Apple not allow it?

The builds have to be done manually, so if you are waiting for the link, we are doing them in batches (during office hours)... sorry the next one will be tomorrow morning. Its appled security system... though I fail to really understand how it secures anything :)

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I follow the link from the email, start installing the app, get to about 90%, and then get an error message:

228523.PNG

Retrying repeats the cycle, clicking Done just leaves the app icon there with the progress bar.

Happens on both my iPod touch (4th gen) and iPad (3rd gen).

Ok, here's what we believe are the steps to solve this and retry:

1 Delete TestFlight from your home screen on your idevice.
    2 Remove the TestFlight webclip profile (settings>general>profiles)
    3 Clear the cookies and cache and ensure that private browsing is turned off.
    4 Restart Device
    5 Login to https://testflightapp.com/m/login on Mobile Safari.
    6 Touch 'Connect Device', complete the registration process.

SORRY, PERFORMANCE ON iPad1 , 3GS and basic iPhone 4 (NOT iPhone 4s) is not what it should be. We're going to avoid building for them right now....

Sorry about that. So thats, iPad1, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4... not good. iPhone 4s is fine though (it has extra graphical ooomph).

T.

Aw bummer, mine's only a basic 4 :( Is that why I didn't get a link for the app this morning? Oh well, no worries, be sure to chuck it my way if you manage to get it up and running.

sounds like you're on to a winner with it from what other's have been saying about it :D

SORRY, PERFORMANCE ON iPad1 , 3GS and basic iPhone 4 (NOT iPhone 4s) is not what it should be. We're going to avoid building for them right now....
    Nooooooessss :(

• Advertisement

We do hope to support basic iP4 ... just right now its not handling the realtime lighting of the chopper at all well. We'll replace that with something static and release for the 4 but it will be next week. We promised our coder he could take a couple of days off when we hit User Testing :)
    He really has been working his ass off :)

Advertisement