Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where/when you going this year?!

Options
  • 12-11-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

I’m giddy with excitement! We’re off to St Anton on the 19th of Jan. 14 of us, a mix of abilities – looking forward to the craic and some great skiing. Bought my own ski boots this year, which will make it all the more pleasant!
    Have snow alert emails coming in, already looking pretty good over there :D

If anyone is stuck for a transfer for those dates/resort, drop me a line(in through MUN, out through ZRH)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Meant to be going to Meribel/3 Valleys Jan 12th but im the odd man out on the trip so unless I manage to rope someone else in soon im going noi where!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mayrhofen 12 jan, 2 months today cant wait!!olaola yur in for a threat in st anton,Its as good as it gets as a ski resort it is a tad expensive there though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

olaola wrote: »
    I’m giddy with excitement! We’re off to St Anton on the 19th of Jan. 14 of us, a mix of abilities – looking forward to the craic and some great skiing. Bought my own ski boots this year, which will make it all the more pleasant!
    Have snow alert emails coming in, already looking pretty good over there :D

If anyone is stuck for a transfer for those dates/resort, drop me a line(in through MUN, out through ZRH)

We are going the same week as you. Never been to Austria before, so really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We are going the same week as you. Never been to Austria before, so really looking forward to it.

Good stuff! We'll have to keep an eye out :) We're heading over on the early Aer Fungus flight to Munich. I've never been to St Anton before, but Austria in general is my favourite place to ski. Excellent facilties and epic Apres ski!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not booked anything yet but will probably end up going to Austria again this year, just trying to see if there is anywhere new I've not done yet that takes my fancy.

...and isn't too expensive from the local airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Headin to Saalbach on the 26th January, really looking forward to it! Then Avoriaz in mid March which might not be so good if we don't get a long winter of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Heading to Les Arc again this year. 14th to 21st Jan.
    Cant wait for it. Bought all my own gear this year so just itching to try it all out.
    First holiday last year and im hooked.
    Works out reletivly cheap too by staying in a hostel in bourg san maurice and its only five mins to the finnuclair (spelling?) so from front door to chairlift take about 15/20 mins. Alot cheaper than the resorts/chalets further up the hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Hope to grab a few handy days in Oberstdorf like I did last year. Good spot for a short/cheap trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Mayrhofen on the 26th of December until the 2nd of January :) ringing in the New Year in style... so excited now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

A bit of an odd one this year, probably be the only Irish in Bansko... we have friends living there, its looks small but the runs look reasonably good.
    The problem is we were spoilt with St Anton last year....epic place !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

A bit of an odd one this year, probably be the only Irish in Bansko... we have friends living there, its looks small but the runs look reasonably good
    The problem is we were spoilt with St Anton last year....epic place !!

I don't see any packages to Bulgaria this year from here or the UK. We were considering a trip to Pamporovo in jan but with the lack of access we will just have to leave it to the Russians.

Top flight are back to basics this year, Andorra Austria, France and Italy. Crystal are offering Slovenia.. It looks like everyone is cutting back big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

mbur wrote: »
    I don't see any packages to Bulgaria this year from here or the UK. We were considering a trip to Pamporovo in jan but with the lack of access we will just have to leave it to the Russians.

Top flight are back to basics this year, Andorra Austria, France and Italy. Crystal are offering Slovenia.. It looks like everyone is cutting back big time.

We just booked flight via London, we are staying with friends :) have you been ?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

We just booked flight via London, we are staying with friends :) have you been ?

Ya. Went a couple of times a few years back. Didn't get to Bansko. We chose Pamporovo because it looked to be better for the more timid skiier. One year it was so cold all the Bulgarian airports were closed by freezing fog. The tour company had to bus everyone to Thessaloniki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

St Anton is probably my favourite place to ski. Huge area, brilliant Apres Ski and bars. Deffo v expensive though. Last year had unreal snow when we were there in early Jan.

Going to the Eggishorn/Aletsch area in Switzerland 28th Dec-5th Jan and Mayrhofen, Austria from 5th Jan-12 Jan.

Fully pumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Staying at home this year, but i do have access to the local 8 resorts where i live in Telemark, they are Gaustablikk, Gautefall, Haukelifjell, Lifjell, Raulandsfjell, Rauland, Vierli og Vrådal.

They have just joined together this year, so buying one lift pass gets you access to all 8 which is awesome :)

Also going to be doing a lot of cross country this year, i can do that anywhere up here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now booked for Soll on the 5th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tommy Crowne

Heading for Whistler at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Overflow wrote: »
    Staying at home this year, but i do have access to the local 8 resorts where i live in Telemark, they are Gaustablikk, Gautefall, Haukelifjell, Lifjell, Raulandsfjell, Rauland, Vierli og Vrådal.

They have just joined together this year, so buying one lift pass gets you access to all 8 which is awesome :)

Also going to be doing a lot of cross country this year, i can do that anywhere up here.

Wow interesting! I went skiing in Norway once - Haffjell. Last year I looked at taking a very cheap flight and going to one of those small local parks that are around the country but the other costs like accom were crazy. Id still love to do it for the adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Me - Zermatt from Dec 22nd - 30th (mwaaaa haaa haaaaaa).
    Jura skiing from the 31st Dec - March 31st
    Probably will get Morzine, Verbier, Chamonix and Grand Massif in as well.

Living in Switzerland is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Livigno - can't fecking wait. Board arrived today. Might try to run it down kilternan a couple of times before i go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

I'm booked in for Mayrhofen Jan 12th-19th. It is my first trip there and also my first time skiing without my usual group. My first solo ski trip.
    I'm going with directski ex. Dublin, staying in a pension b&b.

It would be great to set up a skiing/apres-ski buddy or group on here before I go. Anybody else going solo that week or in a group I can ski with?

earlyapex wrote: »
    I'm booked in for Mayrhofen Jan 12th-19th. It is my first trip there and also my first time skiing without my usual group. My first solo ski trip.
    I'm going with directski ex. Dublin, staying in a pension b&b.

It would be great to set up a skiing/apres-ski buddy or group on here before I go. Anybody else going solo that week or in a group I can ski with?
    Hey im actually going the same week leaving dublin at 6.45 that sat morning.Same as yourself im going solo but ive managed to form a group through snowheads.com and we currently have 6 of us spread throughout the uk scotland and ireland.Yur more than welcome to meet up with us if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Excellent! Thanks, that's very quick.
    Yeah, I'll meet up, my flight with directski doesn't leave until 11:50. I also don't know where I'm staying yet as I booked "snow pensions", but we can meet in town first evening.

I posted on snowheads too, I responded to a guy in England who is going solo and looking for a ski buddy in jan, he hasn't decided where he's going yet.
    He hasn't responded yet either to my post.

Anybody in your group going with directski?

earlyapex wrote: »
    Excellent! Thanks, that's very quick.
    Yeah, I'll meet up, my flight with directski doesn't leave until 11:50. I also don't know where I'm staying yet as I booked "snow pensions", but we can meet in town first evening.

I posted on snowheads too, I responded to a guy in England who is going solo and looking for a ski buddy in jan, he hasn't decided where he's going yet.
    He hasn't responded yet either to my post.

Anybody in your group going with directski?

yOU HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS and i can pass u on some more info ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Peace wrote: »
    Livigno - can't fecking wait. Board arrived today. Might try to run it down kilternan a couple of times before i go.

Going there too on the 26th of Jan with 4 other lads - can't wait!! Have boarded in Sauze D'Oulx for the last 2 seasons and while the slopes were great, the nightlife wasn't so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Just back from Whistler, stayed at Tantulus Lodge. What a place, you'll have a blast!! Great conditions, not much of a base yet but loads of fresh snow when we were there....

Heading for Mayrhofen in Feb too, can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Just arrived in Val d'Isere some amount of snow down on the ground already. 140cm up top with another 40-60cm forecast for tomorrow! Getting the big skis ready and the avalanche tranceivers out GoPro is charging as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Working in whistler right now - amazing place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just moved to US and (if it would ever snow dammit) will be skiing the mountain I wake up to every morning - this is pretty much the view from our windows.

020211_sandia_snow.jpg

Advertisement