Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any recurring dreams and what are they?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

i lucid dream sometimes.. i hate it! i'm frozen solid and i can't move or talk.. everything looks exactly how it is in the bedroom. usually happens if i wake up for a period of time in the middle of the night and then go back to sleep while laying on my back. i've found i won't lucid dream if i lay on my side. weird!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Having a wad of money and then waking up and realising its not real! Sucks ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

the one that happens most frequently is where my top row of teeth are stuck behind the bottom row and i need to open my mouth to breath properly. the only way to do it is to force the top row through the bottom. its horrible and feels so real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

i have a recurring dream where i'm abroad, and trying to get a load of **** done before having to travel back to ireland and i don't want to miss my flight. the theme is always the same, and i always feel super stressed in it. i get them about once a month.

what effects?
    i lucid dream sometimes.. i hate it! i'm frozen solid and i can't move or talk.. everything looks exactly how it is in the bedroom. usually happens if i wake up for a period of time in the middle of the night and then go back to sleep while laying on my back. i've found i won't lucid dream if i lay on my side. weird!

You don't experience the effects when you lucid dream naturally...but when you use techniques you can mess up "stuff"...I don't understand it fully, so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert or anything...but I do have a close friend who is absolutely traumatized, and I've heard of other cases too.

Effects include insomnia hypnic jerks, restless leg syndrome, sleep paralysis, chronic nightmares and everything in between.

I had what could be called "chronic hynic jerks" after trying to lucid dream again, it was absolutely awful....I was afraid to sleep...although I only had it for about 1 -2 weeks

EDIT: here's another pretty bad case

"A word of warning to those thinking of trying lucid dreaming. I have attempted several times to achieve a lucid dream and never had great results but my roomate was able to achieve a couple months of lucid dreams back in 2006-2007.

The reason I warn people to research more about this before they blindly attempt it is that if you talk to anyone who has maintained lucid dreaming for an amount of time you will usually here of a story of the night it "all went wrong".

The brain is setup in a way that it attempts to protects you from the subconscious mind. When you lucid dream you are bridging the gap to the unconscious and seeing its mystery. However, there is an understanding between most lucid dreamers that one day there will be a day when your body rejects you out of your subconscious. This sounds crazy I know, but stick with me.

In my roomates case what happened way that he was in a lucid dream and a gas bubble shifted in his stomach. This caused his brain to realize that he was actually awake (do to his perception of the event) and it booted him out of his lucid dream. While this doesn't sound too bad what he described to me was much worse. He said that it was a sense of crippling anxiety and loss. He described it as what he would think of hell. He told me that it seemed to last several hours even though in reality it was probably only 30 seconds.

With that said the thing that really bothers me about lucid dreaming is what has happened to him in the years since. He has never again had what we would call a "good" dream. All of his dreams are somewhere between uncomfortable to night terrors. He commonly wakes up screaming because he was seeing a person in his life that he loves dying and could do nothing to help. This is a nightly event. It somehow changed the way he dreams and he now has to take medication to suppress his dreams.

While I would encourage someone to make their own decision on if they want to lucid dream or not... I would hope they would take this warning."

What I've learned is to not mess with your subconscious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Jamez735 wrote: »
    but yeah them dreams have really f*cked me up, I've developed a fear of "motion sensations" and absolutely hate elevators, planes, fun fair rides etc...when I used to love that stuff

I just hate that feeling where you are weightless, or too heavy, you know that "takeoff" feeling in a plane, where you sink into the seat, ugh :(

i've had that too.. absolutely hate that.. the motion sensations, had a weird dream when i was 12 or 13 and i don't really remember the dream, just this weird sensation. sometimes i'll touch something in a certain way and it'll bring me back to the sensations i felt in the dream .. *shudder*

& the dreams where you are falling are just terrible. you wake up with a jolt, and you feel like you've fallen and landed in your bed.. awful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

being able to fly - really vivid

but the strangest thing about it is, that if i wake up and use the loo , i can go back to bed , fall asleep again and pick up the dream again and start flying again

i love it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I had the same dream every night for a good while. If I woke up during the dream, go to the toilet & get a drink, I would go right back into the same dream.

I was driving along a country road with some friends, in an old car. Something happened and it broke down.

We got out of the car and started to walk through the forrest, suddenly my friends disappeared. I kept walking to come to a large pond, but it had a crocodile or aligator in it.

No worries, it started to talk to me, asking me if I was lost.He brought me to a house. I got in an ancient rowing boat and followed him. I arrived at a nice house on the side of a lake. I went inside.

There where people in the house, I dont remember who the were. I started to play with some childs toys and those people turned into my mum and her best friend. It was her friends house. The toys were her sons and my mum wouldnt let me play with them.

They then told me that I had to go to school. I couldn't find my school bag. I went outside to go to school when a yellow american style school bus drove past me at speed. And the nice house turned into an large old wooden cottage the in the middle of the ocean with just a small deck around the house. I started walking back to the house when the wood on the deck started sinking into the water.

When I was in the house everyone started to panic and we had to turn off all of the lights and block the windows with all those toys I was playing with. There was a huge dinosaur outside, swimming around and we couldn't let him see us. He looked in through a gap in the toys, seen me and disappeared.

I went to the door and looked around. The school bus from earlier just kept driving around at speed. For a long long time. The crocodile just kept looking out the window of the bus with my school bag in his mouth. Teasing me.

The monster returned and kept running around, just like the bus. We waited for him to go past and ran for the boat I had arrived on. We jumped in and it started to sink, we were to heavy. We ran back to the house, the wood around the house was sinking much faster.

My mam and her friend turned into different people. I came up with an idea to build a boat from the sinking wood. As we went out to build the boat, I jumped on the boat and left them. Then I wake up.

There was more to it I just cant remember everything.

Any time i think of the dream I have it that night, so Im sure Ill be having it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 09898531

Last night I had a dream I ate a 10 pound marshmallow. When I woke up my pillow was missing.
    Tommy Cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I always dream that my teeth have fallen out :( they took years to fix and get straight and I always get very upset in the dream when it happens, I also keep having one that my thesis is due the next day and I havent it started, or that I failed college, thankfully my thesis was handed in this summer and I graduate with my degree on friday, but its still scary as hell getting those dreams!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Riding...I mean horses, of course :D

:eek: I think you should see a doctor about your Zoophilia, get some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Remmy wrote: »
    I don't usually remember my dreams but one I get now and then is where I'm trying to walk forward and I have no balance and everything is blurry.

THIS.

And constant ones about being in a plane and it crashing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

I keep on having dreams where I'm rushing to get somewhere important that I have to be - football match, college exam, etc. , but I keep getting delayed for different reasons and missing it.

I'm sure I've never had a dream about flying, ever, which seems fairly strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

daithi1970 wrote: »
    My recurring dream has me in college, with final exams just 2 days away and I have absolutely nothing done for them....

daithi

Weird!I have this dream where i go back to school and do my Leaving Cert and do no study for it.I always say to myself quit school you've done it before.Then i wake up.Must get it Six times a year.

i've had that too.. absolutely hate that.. the motion sensations, had a weird dream when i was 12 or 13 and i don't really remember the dream, just this weird sensation. sometimes i'll touch something in a certain way and it'll bring me back to the sensations i felt in the dream .. *shudder*

& the dreams where you are falling are just terrible. you wake up with a jolt, and you feel like you've fallen and landed in your bed.. awful!

Yeah I can recall the motion sensations just by thinking about them, sometimes I even faint, not a nice feeling :(

As for the falling, it's is referred to as "sleep starts" or hypnic jerk, I used to get them just by closing my eyes and drifting off , I didn't even have to dream,

It was really awful, some nights I didn't sleep at all, and every time I jolted, it was like having a heart attack, thank god it stopped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

cantdecide wrote: »
    I have this awful dream that I've slowly slipped back into being a regular smoker again

Me too.

Immense sense of relief waking up a non-smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Yeah I can recall the motion sensations just by thinking about them, sometimes I even faint, not a nice feeling :(

As for the falling, it's is referred to as "sleep starts" or hypnic jerk, I used to get them just by closing my eyes and drifting off , I didn't even have to dream,

It was really awful, some nights I didn't sleep at all, and every time I jolted, it was like having a heart attack, thank god it stopped!

that happens to me nearly every night, from what i've been told! sometimes it can wake me up, but most of the time it doesn't. my OH always said he knew i was asleep once i jolted haha

i hope these are normal, and doesn't mean there's something wrong with me!
    it's embarrassing when you fall asleep on an airplane and then jolt yourself awake lol!

that happens to me nearly every night, from what i've been told! sometimes it can wake me up, but most of the time it doesn't. my OH always said he knew i was asleep once i jolted haha

i hope these are normal, and doesn't mean there's something wrong with me!
    it's embarrassing when you fall asleep on an airplane and then jolt yourself awake lol!

Hmm, I never realized that they don't always wake you up! maybe I still get them and just don't know it!

I've always been awoken by sleep starts, with my heart in my mouth, and my arms flopping uncontrollably like a madman!

But I hear it's fairly normal to get these from time to time, but they should go away and not last all night...or for more than 1 night at a time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Before my dad died I had recurring dreams of taking his lorry and hiding it somewhere he wouldn't find it. Maybe it was my subconscious telling me his job was killing him. Also had recurring dreams for months about being pregnant and then finding out I was pregnant for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I had a dream that I was having a dream in a dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I had a dream that I was having a dream in a dream

Sounds like a wet dream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Me too.

Immense sense of relief waking up a non-smoker.

Even if it is the smoking area of the local boozer that you wake up in :D

Constantly dreaming that I'm back on the smokes. And the exams, always have that dream, bricking it because I have nothing done! Thought this was unique to me but obviously not :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Regularly dream my teeth are falling out or are so loose I can pull them out with my fingers.

Also of being chased constantly and always escaping somehow.

When I was young Id have a recurrent nightmare of being separated from my parents and left behind at the supermarket.

Advertisement