Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murdered-exgarda-had-links-to-underworld

Options
  • 11-11-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/murdered-exgarda-had-links-to-underworld-3290668.html

Officers pursuing leads involving gang crime, theft and drug dealing

GARDAI investigating the murder of the former senior detective who was found shot dead at his Co Cavan home on Friday are focusing inquiries on his links to a gang suspected of involvement in stealing machinery and drug dealing.

John Kerins, 49, was shot in the head and chest while lying on the sofa of his two-storey home on the outskirts of Bailieborough, the TV remote control by his side and front door unlocked.

A post-mortem concluded at 12.45pm yesterday confirmed that Kerins died of gunshot wounds and the house was still being scoured last night by a forensic team. Initial reports suggested that Kerins was killed by someone he knew well enough to bring into his home.

As detectives began investigating the possible motives behind his murder, they found no shortage of leads.

According to his former colleagues, Kerins, in his time, has associated with dissident republicans, drug dealers and criminals, a fact which kept him on the garda radar long after he left the Force.

He was awaiting trial on three charges of possession of stolen property and had been questioned about the disappearance of his neighbour, Gerard Daly, who gardai believe was murdered. According to one source, Shirley Quinn, his estranged wife, was so fearful of Kerins that gardai organised protection for her earlier this year.

Kerins, who once served in the Central Detective Unit at Harcourt Street, was on sick leave from the force in 2002 and was finally discharged on medical grounds in 2010. Although he was never disciplined, he left the force under the shadow of his former colleagues' suspicions.

Kerins joined the Garda Siochana in 1983. Originally from Trim, Co Meath, he was stationed in Dublin, first in Crumlin and later at the fraud squad. As a rookie, Kerins worked initially as a motorcycle garda and later moved to the Central Detective Unit, which was regarded as significant move up the ranks.

Later, his associations with criminals raised a concern among some of his colleagues. During the 1990s, he made contact with a member of the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA), who was suspected of murdering an off-duty British soldier in the early 1990s. The INLA man had moved to Dublin, which is where he met Kerins.

When Kerins's association with the terrorist became known, he apparently persuaded some gardai that he was operating him as an informant.

However, others suspected that he was involved in criminality in Dublin with the INLA. The organisation was involved in drugs, extortion and prostitution at the time.

Despite his colleagues' suspicions, Kerins remained in the force. There was never any proof to substantiate their concerns. He left Dublin and was posted back to Meath, first to Kells and then Ardee.

The first time he was investigated for anything serious was in 2002. He was out on duty in the Kells area when a garda torch was thrown at a car that drove at speed through a garda checkpoint.

One of the occupants of the car, an 18-year-old called David Herbert, was struck on the side of the head by the torch and later died. An inquest into the teenager's death heard how the torch came through the window of the car, hitting David.

Afterwards, he complained about the pain in his head. The next morning, his parents found him dead in his bed. When gardai recovered the car, the torch was on the passenger seat. Kerins told the inquest: "My torch left my right hand. I didn't know it." Although he was investigated, the Director of Public Prosecutions decided that Kerins should not be charged.

Two years later, in September 2004, Kerins -- now attached to Ardee -- was injured while on duty attending to a car accident. He was sitting in a garda car when another car crashed into his. Kerins suffered a back injury and was out of work for several months.

He returned to work but reported that his back was still giving trouble and in 2005 he went out on long-term sick leave. He was formally discharged from the force five years later in 2010 on medical grounds. According to one source, he received around €200,000 compensation.

One former colleague described Kerins as likeable in many ways, and someone who had the ability to be a good detective. One of his big flaws was that he couldn't pass up an opportunity to make money if it came his way.

"He organised security for sites in the area. It was in his spare time, when he was attached to Kells. But he shouldn't have been doing it," said the source.

Kerins had lived for several years in a neat new-build home in Cornaveagh, near Bailieborough. In recent years, he lived there alone, having separated from his wife, with whom he had three children.

Once out of the force, his links to criminality apparently deepened.

Kerins was close to dissident republicans, who were involved in smuggling, organised the robbery and export of building and farm machinery. His name cropped up at a case conference about stolen goods as recently as last month.

The gang was also involved in cannabis grow houses, including one which was found not far from Kerins's home last May buried in a lorry container. The plants would have produced €100,000 worth of drugs -- the discovery was a significant loss to the gang. Officers found no evidence to link Kerins to any of it.

'Intelligence suggested he might know more than he was letting on'

But he was questioned about another local mystery. Kerins's neighbour and good friend was Gerard Daly, a Dubliner who had moved to Cornaveagh from Tallaght.

Dublin gardai knew Daly because of his associations with certain criminals and dissident republicans.

And according to locals, Daly became a close friend of Kerins after moving to Bailieborough.

In June last year, Daly disappeared. Gardai established that Daly had clashed with a criminal gang before his death. They believed that Kerins knew what had happened to Daly. They came into intelligence which suggested that even if he wasn't directly involved, he might know more than he was letting on. Kerins was interviewed by detectives, along with several other people, but the investigation went nowhere.

Daly remains missing, feared murdered.

Despite his chequered career, Kerins was never charged with any offence until April this year. He was caught in Cork allegedly in possession of plant and farm machinery that had been stolen in Mallow.

Gardai stopped him on the South Ring Road in Togher. The equipment was worth an estimated €20,000. He was due in court later this year, not only for being in possession of stolen goods but also for trying to drive away in a car that didn't belong to him on the same date.

On Friday morning, Kerins was due to pick up his neighbour's children to bring them to school -- as he apparently did every morning. When he didn't show up, his neighbour became concerned.

Gardai arrived at his home at around 11am, and found the front door unlocked. There was no sign of a forced entry, or even a struggle. From the position of his body stretched out on the sofa, it seemed that he was stretched out, relaxed and watching television, when his murderer took a shotgun and blasted him several times in the head and chest.

Gardai are not short of leads to follow up.

One garda source who knew Kerins speculated: "He was obviously shot with a shot -gun. So it was not a guy hired to do it (the killing). I would suspect he was engaged with people in stealing machinery, and it's possible that John was not throwing over the funds to the others."

He could have been shot over the discovery of the cannabis grow houses.

He could have been shot over suspicions that he was an informer -- as some criminals would see it, once a garda, always a garda. Although as one source, said: "You can rest assured that is one thing John Kerins was not."

But one of the strongest lines of inquiry is that he was shot over his knowledge of what happened to Gerard Daly. Kerins, who was finally facing criminal charges, may have been prepared to turn State witness in return for a reduction of jail time.

Locals who talked anonymously to newspapers depicted Kerins as a decent sort with a community spirit. He was involved in the local group water scheme, apparently, and was always willing to help out.

To gardai, he was a gamekeeper turned poacher; a flawed detective who ultimately could not stay on the straight and narrow.

As one garda source described him: "He was a good detective. He knew what to do . . . but he would not be hiding behind the door if he got an opportunity."

Scary stuff.This guy was up to his neck with criminal associates while serving as a garda up until as recently as 2010 .In the force for 27 years and never charged with any disciplinary breaches. Not just a regular cop either.Served in the garda fraud squad and central detective unit two elite units.killed a joyrider, alleged to know a lot about his neighbors murder, alleged to be involved in a plant machinery robbery ring, wife terrified of him.Like something out of bad lieutenant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I feel sorry for his wife & children.
    They didn't ask to get caught up in any of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

corrupt law enforcement official shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I feel sorry for his wife & children.
    They didn't ask to get caught up in any of this.

True. In fact, as is said in the article, his wife was quite afraid of him. Now she need fear him no more.

The word "alleged" appears often in that Indo article, so we must bear that in mind.:cool:

Nevertheless, I can't shake off the feeling that this guy had accumulated a lot of bad karma.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was he "known to the Gardai"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Lets not rush to judgement. Was he involved in all the movies? I mean I liked the first movie and the prequel. The other two were pretty crap, except for the whole Kate Bekinsale in leather thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Idont-know-why-the-title-is-like-that

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Idont-know-why-the-title-is-like-that

he-copied-and-pasted-it-from-the-link-but-couldnt-be-arsed-editing-it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oldboy1

As much as I feel sorry for his wife and children, they should not be involved in any of this and now have to live with it, it sounds like the man was involved with the wrong people. It was probably only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Another dead gangster.
    Why is this one so special he gets a thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

MagicSean wrote: »
    Lets not rush to judgement. Was he involved in all the movies? I mean I liked the first movie and the prequel. The other two were pretty crap, except for the whole Kate Bekinsale in leather thing.

No its not a movie its about a real ex-guard who was allegedly mixed up with gangsters, real ira types, dodgy security firm scams, plant machinery robbery rings, growing cannabis, breeding guard dogs with his next door neighbor who mysteriously went missing and is presumed murdered and a cannabis factory.He was shot dead by persons unknown a few days ago. It is like something out of a movie though. You can read all about it here - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/murdered-exgarda-had-links-to-underworld-3290668.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Serious question; is there a culture in the gaurds where it would be safe for another gaurda to report corruption without damaging his career? I wouldnt say it would be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

He killed a joyrider speeding past by throwing his torch at him :eek:

This guy was wasted as a cop/plant theft ringleader..

He should be starring as the next James Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jonsnow wrote: »
    Scary stuff.This guy was up to his neck with criminal associates while serving as a garda up until as recently as 2010 .In the force for 27 years and never charged with any disciplinary breaches. Not just a regular cop either.Served in the garda fraud squad and central detective unit two elite units.killed a joyrider, alleged to know a lot about his neighbors murder, alleged to be involved in a plant machinery robbery ring, wife terrified of him.Like something out of bad lieutenant.

...in fairness, there was no way he was standing in the middle of a country road with his lad in his hand. We just don't have the weather for it.

I've a feeling he'd be a bit lifeless as an actor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Now for the compulsory 10 year sunday world exclusive.

pmcmahon wrote: »

...doubtless they're digging up everything they can, so they can run with the title 'Sex Garda....'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Ottway

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Serious question; is there a culture in the gaurds where it would be safe for another gaurda to report corruption without damaging his career? I wouldn't say it would be easy.

I grew up in North County Dublin and can remember vividly when rumour went around about a Guard who suddenly seemed to be able to afford a mansion in Ashbourne (a small enough one, but a mansion nonetheless). I remember it was said that the house wasn't bought with a monetary payment alone and that it would come out who actually owned the house before him.

The Guard suddenly got a fat promotion shortly afterwards also and then, around the time of the Blue Flu, it came out that the house was purchased from a well know gangster / drug dealer who had done time for murder in the past. I always wondered why nothing more was made of the whole story and how the very very high profile Garda never really commented on the rumours, as you would have thought he would want to extinguish the whispering.

Your post reminded me of it, as I can also remember the Guard himself later saying that he suspected members of his own force to have leaked the information, which I thought was a strange thing to say. Of course, one should never believe rumours and where I grew up, there was always a few, the other similarly very strong one was that a local TD called Burke was corrupt, rumours eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Lager lager lager lager

• Site Banned Posts: 33 yard_king

now for the compulsory line from boards

" 99.9% of guards are heroes who everyday risk life and limb for the rest of us " , being stationed in afghanistan is a walk in the park compared to the dangers of being a guard in ireland

• Advertisement

unlikely , doesnt AGS shill paul williams cover crime there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

yard_king wrote: »
    now for the compulsory line from boards

" 99.9% of guards are heroes who everyday risk life and limb for the rest of us " , being stationed in afghanistan is a walk in the park compared to the dangers of being a guard in ireland

How would you know what is compulsory for boards? You only joined 4 hours ago.

The dead man wasn't a Garda though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

No, he's long gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not that I give a crap about joyriders but.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2002/0727/ireland/joyrider-died-after-being-hit-by-gardaaposs-torch-inquest-told-510366327.html
    Joyrider died after being hit by garda's torch, inquest told Saturday, July 27, 2002
    David Herbert, 18, from Donard Avenue, Navan Road, Dublin, suffered a brain haemorrhage after a garda torch hit the side window in a stolen car he was travelling in, striking him on a vulnerable part of his skull.

Hit a side window at high speed consistent with being thrown hard.
    Garda John Kearns adamantly denied he threw his torch at the car, which passed him at high speeds at a checkpoint near Kells, Co Meath, at around 2.15am on September 23, 2001.

Sure it musht have schlipped. :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not that I give a crap about joyriders but.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2002/0727/ireland/joyrider-died-after-being-hit-by-gardaaposs-torch-inquest-told-510366327.html

Hit a side window at high speed consistent with being thrown hard.

Sure it musht have schlipped. :)

having heard the details of that story involving the joyrider who died , i sympathise with the ex guard who met a tragic end , the joyriders went through a checkpoint , that the ex guard pegging a torch at the car ended up killing the chap was a million to one , sounds like the ex guard hadnt much luck in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Originally Posted by Johnny Electricity viewpost.gif
    He killed a joyrider speeding past by throwing his torch at him eek.png

I've a feeling that they're covering up a massive gun fight that would put Smokin' Aces to shame. :P

Edit: Mixed up the movie. It's the one where he puts a carrot through someone's eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"Lights out, punk"

*Theme tune plays*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I think this man is a legend. Working both sides for decades and getting away with it, and eventually the Guards give him €200k to leave. Then what? Ah sure grow a load of hash, steal some farm machinery, help in the disappearance of a neighbour. All the while helping out around the area and all the neighbours loving him.

A joyrider not going to stop at the check point? No problem, I'll just kill him with my torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I think this man is a legend. Working both sides for decades and getting away with it, and eventually the Guards give him €200k to leave. Then what? Ah sure grow a load of hash, steal some farm machinery, help in the disappearance of a neighbour. All the while helping out around the area and all the neighbours loving him.

A joyrider not going to stop at the check point? No problem, I'll just kill him with my torch.

There's a movie in it - that's for sure! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Lager lager lager lager

Mega mega white thing
    Mega mega white thing
    Mega mega white thing
    Mega mega

Advertisement