Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make SUSI accountable

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

done!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi everyone

Another very important issue

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81704589&postcount=381

Accountability has gone backwards

Local authorities who paid grants were covered by the Ombudsman and you could complain about maladministstration

You cannot complain now about SUSI

Please include this in your email that accountability has gone backwards

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Good replies from Brendan Griffin, Averil Power and Charlie Mc Conalogue - i've sent another email highlighting the unacceptable Ombudsman situation too.

If you are emailing re SUSI/ombudsman.

It's important to state that previously grant administration was something that the ombudsman could investigate so accountability and transparency have gone backwards

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bluesea

Charlie McConalogue replied in his email that he will also ensure to raise the issue of whether the ombudsman covers SUSI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 rjudge1994

received an email back from Clare Daly, Willie O'Dea, brendan griffin,Fidelma healy eames,Averil power and Charlie McConalogue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

So far, replies from Averil Power, Willie O Dea, Fidelma Healy Eames and Clare Daly

I sent my email at 10.22 this morning. I'm hoping for more over the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

PlainP wrote: »
    So far, replies from Averil Power, Willie O Dea, Fidelma Healy Eames and Clare Daly

I sent my email at 10.22 this morning. I'm hoping for more over the next few hours.

Yes same here.

It also seems that SUSI might be withholding payment until they receive attendance records.

Someone should ask the committee members to ask SUSI what the position on this is

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

It also seems that SUSI might be withholding payment until they receive attendance records.

Someone should ask the committee members to ask SUSI what the position on this is

would it be worth checking with my college to see if they've sent off attendance records and that is some of the hold-up, do you think?

• Advertisement

would it be worth checking with my college to see if they've sent off attendance records and that is some of the hold-up, do you think?

Possibly - I'm not really sure how this works

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

Just had an email from Charlie McConalogue, he will be on Frontline tonight 10.35 to raise the problems with susi.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I am very surprised that I have got responses from actual people. Very impressed with the response that I have got from 6 of the TDs so far, it sounds like someone is going to have to explain what the hell is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Email sent hopefully this will get us somewhere!!

It gets more interesting!

Wayne Flanagan Tobin, former Youth Information Officer at Bray youth Service
    (Sept 2011-Sept 2012) has strongly critised SUSI for holding secret
    briefings with Citizens' Information Officers and not relying information to
    Youth Centres and Youth Organisations who he claims were duped by CDVEC.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/102695

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

rjudge1994 wrote: »
    received an email back from Clare Daly, Willie O'Dea, brendan griffin,Fidelma healy eames,Averil power and Charlie McConalogue :)
    Same here.
    Great to see proper replies, not automated ones. Restores some faith in our elected reps!

Hi all

Took this from another thread

The Joint Committee on Education and Social Protection will meet on 13 November with SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland) to discuss delays in student grant applications

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/oireachtasbusiness/committees_list/educationandsocialprotection/

This is YOUR chance to get some accountability

Contact these TDs and Senators. Tell them the problems you have had with delays, problems

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/oireachtasbusiness/committees_list/educationandsocialprotection/members/

Email addresses

James.Bannon@oir.ie, Ray.Butler@oir.ie, Joan.Collins@oir.ie, Clare.Daly@oir.ie, Brendan.Griffin@oir.ie, Simon.harris@oir.ie, Derek.Keating@oir.ie, Charlie.McConalogue@oir.ie, Nicky.McFadden@oir.ie, Jonathan.OBrien@oir.ie, Willie.ODea@oir.ie, Aodhan.oriordain@oir.ie, Aengus.osnodaigh@oir.ie, Brendan.Ryan@oir.ie, joanna.tuffy@oir.ie, Jim.darcy@oir.ie, fidelma.healy.eames@oir.ie, marie.moloney@oir.ie, marielouise.odonnell@oir.ie, averil.power@oir.ie, diarmuid.wilson@oir.ie

Email the TDs/Senators this week with your experiences - tell them about all the phone calls, lost documents etc

Anybody know if they meetings televised or is there anywhere to view it??

rjudge1994 wrote: »
    Anybody know if they meetings televised or is there anywhere to view it??

At the moment it is scheduled for 11:30am on Tuesday morning in Committee Room 3

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=22111&&CatID=60

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

bluesea wrote: »

yeah and on that webpage the SUSI part has a T beside it. Meaning it will be televised.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/watchlisten/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cottage garden

I have sent an email to the TDs on the committee and others I feel should be aware of this debacle. In it I have pointed out the unfortunate similarities in the operation of the new Susi Grant System to the operation of the Disability Benefit Application system. Unfortunately my experiences to date of both processes now lead me to believe the agenda in these departments appears to be delay as long as possible in the hope that people will give up or become so frustrated , exhausted and demoralised and thus give up fighting for our entitlements in this crazy system we accept from these departments:(!

• Advertisement

Great guys - this will really put pressure on

I estimate that the committee members probably received between 30 and 60 emails from people here.

I think that will really make a difference to how the committee interact with SUSI tomorrow.

It's on live at 11:30 am - If some of you are on twitter it might also be a good idea to tweet the committee meeting tomorrow morning and use a hashtag

#susishambles

Tweet at USI, the committee members, ministers, political parties - your own student unions, journalists

As well as that take notes on what TDs say and what SUSI says

Write in your own story and reactions afterwards to letters in the independent and Irish Times.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

65 people to process 65,000 applications! Pat Kenny talking about it now!

can someone post a link of where the meeting can be watched please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

Watching it live now, should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

The curly haired blond woman from CDVEC just said that if a blatant mistake was made by the assessors i.e. the adjacent grand awarded to people living outside the 45km, would be dealt with quickly. NOT TRUE, I was told to go through the whole appeals system. I was told on the phone that they were not allowed to re-asses as it has to be an independent process. Who's lying?

I missed most of it, I heard one TD mention the ombudsman. Can this be watched later again?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

Just watched the education committee & you would think this is the first year a student grant was ever rolled out in Ireland. Those 3 clowns should be fired. I have no confidence at all they can sort out this mess.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it , the old system worked perfectly here in Cork, & if you had a real problem you drove to County Hall & spoke to one of the girls.
    Ultimately, the buck stops with Quinn but no hope there.

However, I was very impressed with the committee, particularly Charlie McConalogue, Jonathan O'Brien & Brendan Griffin.

bluesea wrote: »
    I missed most of it, I heard one TD mention the ombudsman. Can this be watched later again?

I think there is a tool on the oir website to do this.

Will get back to you tomorrow

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 cracknafobia

My problem was with them awarding me a grant but the wrong type ie adjacent instead of non adjacent.Sent off the emails to the tds they were very helpful. sent back non-automated responses emailed them last night and they sorted it out for me today.
    Was very impressed by Charlie Mc Conalogue,Claire Daly,Brendan Griffin,Averil Power and also my local td Luke'Ming'Flanagan.
    First of all the problem should never have came to this all they need is to employ extra staff.Hopefully they will have learned from this incident and be better prepared for next year !

Advertisement