Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training to be a musician on the dole

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

This is just hilarious . You were in my situation a few years ago and learned a foreign language and then got a job . But its such a crime for me to learn an instrument to get a job . Id say you re like one of them parents in the films that dont let their kids play guitar because they have to study science. I bet it was heart breaking when you learned this new language and found it was just another country of people not liking you , but in a different language.

I didn't learn a foreign language. I did a TEFL course because I'd been told I'd always have a job in that and I always have. It's not my dream job, it's a way of paying the bills and funding my training so that I have a better chance of getting that dream job down the line. Why can't you do the same? Actually plan a realistic career path and instead of expecting other people to support you until you get your dream job? What would you do if you lived in a country without such a generous welfare system? Starve to death?

BTW, I love this country. At least most people understand the concept of personal responsibility and giving something back. I'd hate to be working my arse off in Ireland and supporting people like you who think it's their God-given right to do only their ideal job.

You sound incredibly, incredibly immature, BTW. What are you, 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Find a cat, preferably a ginger cat, and go busking OP. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Ye see izzy wizzy . My dream job is to fill arenas around the world . It may never happen just like your dream job . Id be happy to play in a wedding band until this happens . Instead of doing a tfl course im learning an instrument . Ye see we arnt that different just you learned a language I learned an instrument .
    I spent alot of time jobhunting I cant get one . Any course iv been offered has been pointless . Iv paid alot of tax . Your making out I one day jacked my job in . What really happened is one day I gave up chasing a job that wasnt there which I was miserable in and decided to upskill in something else .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

For a guy who's practicing eight hours a day, you sure are spending a lot of time posting on boards! :rolleyes:

Yep computer and guitar in the one room .
    I get up early too . Youll see that from my posts .

• Advertisement

I thought you said you were focused on making your music career a reality? Its not going to happen if you have distractions like the internet in front of you. Your focus should be 100% music, not surfing and posting and a bit of practice thrown in for eight hours, or is that what you ment?

Actually maybe you can help me with this . I am playing a loop of a song and Im trying to put lead over the chords .
    The only program to do this is audacity and its free so fair enough but there is a delay because Im the computer is both playing and recording so it sounds a bit out of sync . Is there a better free program for this or is it the settings im fecking up .
    I just refresh my threads when im listening back to it if you must ask .
    I dont have an mbox just yet so itd have to be a program that works without one .

Reaper is what you want. Free and extremely versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Boss RC-20, has an aux input for tracks or you can loop direct from your guitar if it's plugged in.
    Industry standard for looping on the fly, great practice tool.

deaddonkey wrote: »
    Boss RC-20, has an aux input for tracks or you can loop direct from your guitar if it's plugged in.
    Industry standard for looping on the fly, great practice tool.
    Im not really great with the lingo are you saying I can plug my guitar direct into the computer with this program. Or is this an mbox?

• Advertisement

it's a foot controlled looper with an aux input, not a computer program.

You plug your guitar/microphone and/or aux input playing the tracks you want to loop (from your mp3 player, computer, radio, whatever)

You can record loops from the input or from your guitar, it's controlled by 2 foot pedals.

The output goes to your amp/PA/line in of your soundcard/mixing desk/whatever

So basically you can record one track, and play another on top and keep adding more tracks. Mostly used for practice and live solo performance where you want to create a whole band effect on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Im not really great with the lingo are you saying I can plug my guitar direct into the computer with this program. Or is this an mbox?

I've plugged my guitar straight into the computer before, it actually worked surprisingly well for practise recordings at least.

If you grab a cable that has this on one end and this on the other, you can try it too. ;)

Thanks aloot thatll help I take it the cable is alot cheaper than the pedal thing ?
    How much do they both cost . Maybe ill get myself a christmas present .

Thanks aloot thatll help I take it the cable is alot cheaper than the pedal thing ?
    How much do they both cost . Maybe ill get myself a christmas present .

Cable is cheap enough, like 20 quid maybe for a good one.

But, and I can't stress this enough, the pedal would be a way, way better purchase.

There are other makes of loopers on ebay for way cheaper than the boss ones is there really that much difference .
    Digitech is one of them .
    Theres some on there for like 20 quid cheapest boss one I seen was a hundred.

don't buy a crappy looper, you#ll regret it. You need a good one to control it easily on the fly, it's not worth skimping on.

I have the RC-2, it's cheaper but it's definitely worth spending more to have 2 pedals to control it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

You should go on the X Factor and do your own version of 'New Dawn Fades'. See how far you get.

Wattle wrote: »
    You should go on the X Factor and do your own version of 'New Dawn Fades'. See how far you get.
    This just went so far over my head.
    Edit : did you pick that song randomly or was it the two different guitars and the talk of the multitrack recorder. I had to get a joy division album on to find which song that was . Im terrible with names .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

UCDVet wrote: »
    I played it a bunch one summer and end up around 50WPM.

I know this is 8 pages back but it is interesting. I went from 20WPM to 70WPM as a young teenager after I started playing Counterstrike. The sheer terror of getting shot in the head while typing out a sentence to your team was enough to motivate anyone to touch type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Wattle wrote: »

This I would like to see.

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »

This I would like to see.
    Youd wanna have a list of dead grannies as long as your arm to get through with anything like that .

I wrote my best one today I think so Im gonna knock off an hour early if thats ok .
    Im currently recording through a broken phone resting on my knee while im reading the words off a page . Id say thisll sound great once i know it off by heart and record properly . But this rough recording is my gift to all you taxpayers funding me .
    http://m.soundcloud.com/qwerty-irl/sounds-from-tuesday-afternoon
    Enjoy the commute home .

Now you're trolling. :P

I woke up to a pm this morning telling me to get a job . So i decided to write a war song that captures the adrenaline of the battle .

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You ruined it for yourself by taking the piss. If you have anymore notions of posting music related threads/posts, keep it to the music forum. Please read respective charters before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement