Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training to be a musician on the dole

Options
  • 09-11-2012 10:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

The fas has all sorts of courses. I was summonzed to a 2 year course to learn how to turn a computer on and do stuff I could already do . When I told them I could already do this I was told "great youll pass the course easy "
    I decided on that day If Im gonna train at something for 2 years I wanna be a songwriter/ musician .
    Is it terrible I use dole money to train in something that may one day make me millions . Alot of people do courses just to get out of the house .
    Best case scenario I make millions pay back the great social welfare system that gave me my talent through tax or worse case I go back on the factory line with my tail between my legs .
    I think after two years I need another year to get my diploma then I may be ready . Maybe Ill need a degree Im not sure yet .
    Isnt this a better education than a 55 year old being put on a fas course to learn how to use computers .
    I practice about 8 hours a day Im not slacking here .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

I wish you the best of luck in your venture, but "i'm out"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you'll only make millions if you're young and really good looking and can't write music. Trust me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Joydivision, Ok.

Good luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like a normal job

by the way if joy division (the band) were to start now, they would not be rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I don't think you have to train to be a musician on the dole, most musicians just end up that way.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Suprising after hours seems to be on e tonight . Was expecting a backlash of annoyed 9 to 5ers shouting me back to work . Thanks for that after hours .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

by the way if joy division (the band) were to start now, they would not be rich.

Are you starting on Joy Division? Cop on to yourself man.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

You can't learn talent.
    You're either born with it or you're not. It doesn't just happen to someone after they do a course.

I'd love to be a singer. I'd even go back to do a course on it if I thought it would help.
    But after two years I'd still sound like a bag of cats getting set on fire because I can't sing.

Probably . Tastes have changed since then .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

You can't train to be a musician, you either are one or you're not. Or you're an X Factor contestant. Which is almost always 'not'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Another ub40.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are you 55 or are you just using that age as an example?

You can't train to be a musician, you either are one or you're not. Or you're an X Factor contestant. Which is almost always 'not'.
    I think your thinking magician . They are born magic . Musicians need to learn how to play their instrument and craft songs . Nobody just picks up a guitar and plays it .

I think your thinking magician . They are born magic . Musicians need to learn how to play their instrument and craft songs . Nobody just picks up a guitar and plays it .

Father ted did with that hit "My lovely horse"

Are you 55 or are you just using that age as an example?
    Example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Joy Division were never really rich, most of their money was allegedly 'cared for' by the late Tony Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I suppose what they mean is that some people will have a knack for it that comes easily to them. As a piano teacher I can tell very early on which students have a talent and a sense for music, and which ones won't ever have a clue.

9959 wrote: »
    Joy Division were never really rich, most of their money was allegedly 'cared for' by the late Tony Wilson.

That money was just resting in his account

Sorry folks, bit of a father Ted buzz goin on with this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

You should follow your dreams, so go for it.

Are you any good, do you have any youtube clips you wouls share?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

FÁS will tear you apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You on drugs OP?

You can't learn talent.
    You're either born with it or you're not. It doesn't just happen to someone after they do a course.

I'd love to be a singer. I'd even go back to do a course on it if I thought it would help.
    But after two years I'd still sound like a bag of cats getting set on fire because I can't sing.

Depends on the talent but most can be taught and learnt depending on commitment and time. Singing is something that can be learnt along with the playing of musical instruments. You may not have the sweetest voice in the world but neither too have a lot of successful artists, Dylan, Macgowan, Dempsey, the list goes on.

You may never be the best in the world but 99.9% of artists only have a niche market anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Example

Well, we all have dreams. All I'll say is that unless you're willing to postpone them in order to get yourself on a better footing; then you'll never realise them. The longer you put off getting back into employment, the harder it will be for you to do so, and so achieving your overall goals becomes more difficult too.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

learn how to play an instrument and set up an Irish cover band, tour around Europe. Make a nice income around say 50 grand a year. Forget about all those great British bands like Joy Division they are all British military they do not just come out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

You'll most likely never make it as a musician. If you seriously want that career and you're not currently being paid as a musician then you should be supplementing and supporting your ambition with a regular job. If you aren't doing that then, evidently, you don't have the commitment and determination that's (usually) required to compete in the game.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but it just sounds like you're trying to justify doing nothing with your life. What would you do if you weren't lucky enough to receive the dole?

Starve i suppose . I have worked im a qualified plumber

Shryke wrote: »
    Are you starting on Joy Division? Cop on to yourself man.

i worship joy division

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's these kinds of stories that make me contemplate going on the dole for a year or so. I don't have kids, a wife, a house etc. Would be nice to take a year off and get paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They weren't all that rich back then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

The fas has all sorts of courses. I was summonzed to a 2 year course to learn how to turn a computer on and do stuff I could already do . When I told them I could already do this I was told "great youll pass the course easy "
    I decided on that day If Im gonna train at something for 2 years I wanna be a songwriter/ musician .
    Is it terrible I use dole money to train in something that may one day make me millions . Alot of people do courses just to get out of the house .
    Best case scenario I make millions pay back the great social welfare system that gave me my talent through tax or worse case I go back on the factory line with my tail between my legs .
    I think after two years I need another year to get my diploma then I may be ready . Maybe Ill need a degree Im not sure yet .
    Isnt this a better education than a 55 year old being put on a fas course to learn how to use computers .

Here is a free online introduction to the guitar course, endorsed by Berklee School of Music. You will find 1 million other resources on youtube (as you already know)

Best case scenario OP, you make lots of people happy with the songs you write or the music you make, plus you gain a large sense of personal satisfaction in doing it. Any few quid will be a bonus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement